1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Converting You Parents to Craft Beer Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HoptimusPrimeIPA, Mar 2, 2013.

1. I can't find the words to say how awesome it was to find the following in my parents fridge tonight when I stopped by their house:

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
    Cafe Royale (the last of my mother's 4 bottles)
    Abita Purple Haze
    CCB Bolita

I'm 30 and like most people from my generation my parents have drank BMC products almost exclusively for as long as I could remember. I've been exposing them to craft beer in small doses for years now but they've finally jumped fully on board the craft beer band wagon in the last year & 1/2. Now on my parents Saturday date nights they go to dinner and usually some where to have a craft beer or two. I don't think there has been a single BMC product in my parent's house in the last 8 months or so. Tonight for whatever reason it was just a great feeling to open up the fridge and see the beer I brought for the weekend will be in good company. /CoolStoryBro

2. My dad drinks Bud Light almost exclusively. But...amazingly he loves the IPAs in my beer fridge when he's at my house for gatherings. In turn, he always has some sixer of Sam Adams whenever I come to visit. I appreciate the gesture.

3. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I'm lucky in that I didn't have to do any work-my parents discovered great beer even before I did. One of the things I love about this is that it's become a holiday tradition in my family to exchange beers that we otherwise wouldn't have access to. Having said that, they've always been exclusively hopheads, so it was a real treat when I got them stoked on barrel aged stouts this past holiday season.

4. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Congratulations on your conversion. I'd have a better chance of getting my mother to drink bleach. And my father drinks sangria with sprite added to it, or redbull and vodka. Should tell you all you need to know about how craft beer would go with him.

Smokebox_79 likes this.
  5. Im a homebrewer and my sole goal is to brew something that will satisfy my palate but also be enjoyed by my complete BMC father!!!! He has yet to enjoy anything not made with generic rice hulls!!!!!!

6. My dad can't drink but he's really stoked about craft beer, especially the local stuff.

7. Been drinking Colette with my mom tonight. She is 82. Last time she was here I gave her a DIPA and it was pretty funny seeing her reaction. She yelled at me saying I poisoned her. She usually drinks Corona. I have got her to drink SNPA and tonight she really liked the Colette.

Enjoy

Kerrie and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  8. My dad is a bourbon on the rocks guy and I have never seen my mom drink a beer. My dad keeps Yueng in the fridge for when he (or others) are looking for a beer, but I think he pretends to appreciate some of the craft I offer him because he knows how passionate I am about the beer.

lionssoccer13 likes this.
  9. OleDixie

OleDixie Savant (335) Pennsylvania Jan 24, 2013

Last time I drank with my parents, they got all drunk and mad at me when I told them Corona Light sucked. Parents just don't understand.

Kerrie and eatabagofbooger like this.
  10. My mom sort of got me into craft beer. She travels across the midwest for work and stops in looking for beers to send me, pretty freakin awesome. Last box she sent me Zombie Dust and Nugget Nectar...I know how lucky I am on the west coast.

BetterBeerPlz and Vonstein15 like this.
  11. My father is a huge IPA lover and he always has been. His fridge is currently filled with 10 six packs of Hopslam and almost a case of Sucks. Everytime I stop over he pretty much throws two or three bottles of the stuff my way ( sometimes more when he's already well-lit ). My mother has never drank anything other than an MGD or Bud Light.

BetterBeerPlz and Falcone like this.
  12. My parents don't drink at all but they do live in PA and have no issue picking me up local beers and stuff I don't get down here. Does that count?

13. My mom is willing to try anything. Although I can't recall the last time she ordered anything twice. Could be good or bad I suppose. Her boyfriend is down to try anything usually but I can't get him into the more intense stuff. My dad just doesn't drink much anymore and he's had the same 18 block of Bud Light in his pantry for months now.

14. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

My mom is a wheat beer and Belgian style drinker when she drinks beer. She does not like IPAs at all. My step dad brought me back a couple of PtE for Christmas. I opened it at there house and let her taste it and the look on her face was priceless. I have since let her try: ZD, PW, Ruination, Schlafly TIPA, Smuttynose, Stone IPA, Dreadnaught, and some others. I get the same expression each time. My step dad has been trying to branch out. He like bourbon barrel ales and some wheat beers. A few weeks ago I dropped my kids off to spend the night and he greeted me at the door with a bomber of Stone RIS in hand. Drinking it out of the bottle.

15. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Both my parents drink everything I try. My dad is a miller lite guy and my moms favorite is smithiwicks. My dad has shucks oysters for the senate meeting, so I got him 21st oyster stout and he wasn't impressed. Again, anything I pour he tries, but on my birthday I cracked open a few beers, once I sipped stone 16th anniversary I poured him a glass, he loved it. Any stout I pour, my mom likes. Neither will ever buy any on their own but its good to know what they would actually enjoy

16. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

My folks ride the Silver Bullet. My brother and I have been trying to nudge them in the "right direction" for quite a while. As it turns out my dad seems to like bourbon barreled beers (Red Brick 16 & Founders Backwoods Bastard) and my mom really likes chocolate stouts (started with Terrapin Moohoo & loves Southern Tier Choklat).

17. I successfully converted both of my parents about 3-4 years ago and now it's all they drink. My mom pretty much only drinks big IPA's and double IPA's now (her favorites include flower power, heady topper, ruination, double sunshine, Pliny, anything HF etc...), and my dad loves everything including barrel aged, hoppy, and sour beers and everything in between. We actually had a family wedding in Colorado this summer and while I flew out, they decided to drive cross country from NY to the wedding stopping at Jolly Pumpkin, Bells, Founders, Three Floyds, Town Hall, Avery, Crooked Stave, and Funkwerks. My mom wouldn't stop raving about how good Zombie Dust was the whole wedding and wanted to stop again on the way home to get another two cases.

18. i got my folks on the train. mom is into gueze and lambics, pops is calling me once a week while he is traveling asking "what should i be looking for in this area".

19. My dad is an alcoholic who quit drinking 7 1/2 years ago....................but my mom was in love with Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout when I went home to visit them a few months ago.

And, my dad is still on board with going to buy the limited-release beers I call to reserve at certain bottle shops in my hometown (until I get there a few months later and pay him).

My parents rock, and I love them for this...and many other reasons!

20. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

6 months ago: parents call me a beer snob.
    Last week: parents have Duchesse & St. Louis Peche in their fridge.

21. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Savant (395) New York Oct 15, 2008

No conversion needed. Grew up on Yuengling being from the Pittsburgh area and my parents especially my mother still drink Yuengling and I still consider this family owned brewery to be craft beer.

Also, my mother is down to try anything and liked DFH Theobroma and is a sucker for anything that is not too extreme like Yards Thomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale and Geary's Hampshire Special Ale. Plus, she hits the Gratitude release for me as I send her w/ money. Most times she gives the money back w/ the Gratitude bottles I requested which is a pretty nice gift.

22. Trystero

Trystero Savant (280) Ohio Jul 28, 2009

My mother transitioned quite well from wheat beers, specifically Bell's Oberon and Winter White, to Saisons, which is awesome. Now she has expanded to pale ales, IPAs and DIPAs. I'm very proud of her.

23. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

My dad is a Lager guy it seems. Not BMC Lagers thankfully, his beer of choice is Boston Lager. He also buys Pilsner Urquell.

Mom has always liked stouts. Poured her some Ten Fiddy and she loved it. Recently though she has shown interest in IPAs. poured her some Blind Pig and she claimed it was the best beer shes ever had...

afrokaze likes this.
  24. My Dad has always held a price over quality attitude and drinks the cheapest lagers available at his local supermarket. I have made it a mission of mine to educate him about drinking good beer. In 2009 he drove me to St Sixtus from the UK to collect my one crate of Gold Caps, and we hang around a while in Belgium and drank some great beer. Ever since then he is a true convert and I still remember having a Black Albert with him when he admitted "its the best beer i've ever had". I'm not saying he is completely changed, but he sure appreciates what good beer is now.

Vonstein15 likes this.
  25. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

My mom drank a Pina Colada or Strawberry Daquiri like once a year. So she was never into beer.

I always remembered growing up my dad would buy Sam Adams, Killian's, Labbatt Blue, and towards the end Newcastle. He drank about a 6 pack per month. Barely ever.

When I was 18, I got blackout drunk on Mother's Day, chipped my front 2 teeth, and threw up 15+ times, so he quit drinking that day. He blamed himself, which was ridiculous and got big into church and now hasn't drank a drop of alcohol since that day. I stopped drinking for 8 months and never got that bad again.

Now I'm huge into craft beer so my dream is to drink a beer with my dad. Hell, drink my homebrew with my dad. That would be awesome. He never liked BMC and was on the verge of craft, but never really got there. He talks about beer sometimes and says how he always liked the imported beer like Sam Adams and they serve beer cold in England and I want to correct him but he has no idea I even drink.

Maybe one day.

26. My pops has a liquor cabinet full of Jack Daniels varieties but a fridge full of Michelob Ultra. I gave him a Centennial IPA to try, but he thought it was too bitter. I shared a Backwoods Bastard with him this past Christmas and he liked it. Almost brought KBS, but I didn't want to overwhelm his BMC-conditioned palate. He did find it odd that I served it at cellar temp. He thought it was very "European". Small steps.....

27. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

My dad is almost a bigger craft beer hound than me! He's down in Fort Lauderdale and is constantly drinkin' Cigar City, Bell's, Dogfish Head, Stone, and Ballast Point. Anything IPA: he's in.

He spent literally $500 on beer driving down from Massachusetts to Florida last year. Ended up with lots of Founders, Goose Island, Jack's Abbey, and other stuff they don't get down there.

BetterBeerPlz and gatornation like this.
  28. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

My mom actually inadvertantly introduced me to craft beer. Her family always drank local/regional beers and never BMC stuff so that in itself was highly influential. One of the first beers she offered me was some variety of Schell's and a Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark. While not outstanding beers, the stage was set from there. Thanks mom!

29. smbslt

smbslt Savant (430) Illinois Dec 26, 2010

I have convinced my father (pretty much a scotch drinker) to stop at 3F's next year on our way home from our annual father/son ND football game trek.

30. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

My mother's always sighing and saying, "Why can't you be more like Shaun Hill?"

31. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

I started my father back with mixed sixes from my fridge after every visit to my house. He called me that night after a Rochefort 10 and a couple of days after a 90. it reminded him of his time in Europe with his folks where he spent the summer between semesters in college while his dad was stationed there in the Air Force. He is hooked.

He lives in amuch smaller town that I grew up in. There was no availability of anything craft and a splurge was a dusty Heineken 6 at the end of the beer cooler next to the Bull. I think that we underestimate the ability of most everyone to enjoy a superior product and the mass marketing, wide availability and cheap BMC products have led more to the current picture than anything. My local grocery store, which is the largest in the state, has 12 double door coolers for beer and EIGHT are for craft. A buddy runs the best beer store in town and he gets everything-my dad loves it.

I think that this trend will continue as evidenced by expanding breweries and is supported by the concept of providing something better--I think there is general agreement here. Some of this community will then have to find even more rarities to feel unique--and unfortunately create some of the recent strings of craft snobbery. The remainder of those who truly enjoy craft will continue to benefit from its growth with more things to try everyday and a larger variety of offerings pushing the envelope.

32. I have mixed feelings about getting a long time bourbon drinker (my dad) into craft beer. On one hand it's cool that he now has an appreciation for them. On the other, I lost a many BCBSs when I was in college and living at home to his new "appreciation"... :(

33. My father is an IPA hound!!! This weekend we will share a fresh growler of Enjoy By!

34. I can't tell you how big my smile was when my dad, a Bud/Bud Light lifer, told me he couldn't drink the stuff anymore.

BetterBeerPlz and loafinaround like this.
  35. Mom's a wino and she refuses to convert but I'm slowly working on my Dad, who loves Molson. We're from the Boston area so when I told him that Molson owns the Montreal Canadians he agreed that it was time to try some new beer.

36. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

My dad doesn't drink and my mom on occasion will drink a bourbon and ginger-ale. But within the last year my mom has taken more interest in craft beer since I started homebrewing. She doesn't buy it herself but will taste anything I bring over. Recently I opened a bottle of Double Bastard but I didn't offer her any because it isn't exactly a training wheels beer. She asked if she could try some. Poured a small glass took it to the head without any expression change on her face. Put the cup down and said "not bad". I was so proud.

37. All my father and father in law now want to drink is Pliny the Elder. I recently had 3 10oz pours of Younger with each of them on separate occasions and they both loved it.

My father in law also recently came back from a visit to Vermont and brought back 2 4-packs of Heady Topper. I didn't ask him to do this. He found it all on his own. I was SHOCKED and then asked him what he thought. To which he replied, "it's very good, but it's NO Pliny."

I've created a monster, though I've taught him well.

afrokaze likes this.
  38. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

The only beer my Mom will touch is a Yuengling, and that just started 2-3 yrs ago, she's 79. That's also when she started drinking beer. Dad was forced into early craft/imports because those were the only beers that his Son (me) wouldn't touch. Now I'm a full blown Hophead IPA, IIPA, Imperial Stout homebrewing guy and my 21 yr old College Senior Son has jumped from the $3.00 Keystone quarts to 3Floyds Gumball Head, Zombie Dust and has recently found Deschutes Chainbreaker. His slumming beer in the bars now is Ranger IPA.

I'm a proud Dad

BetterBeerPlz and Falcone like this.
  39. My mom always enjoyed trying new beers with me when I lived with her during undergrad. The other day she called me and said she drank a whole Black Ops by herself. Her words: "man that shit creeped up on me". I would say so mom....

Now she calls me every time she is at the bottle shop letting me know what she is picking up and if I want her to grab me one too.

I am so proud!!

kemoarps, loafinaround and Stugtozo like this.
  40. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Not that they're converted (don't talk to my mother) but my father's gone from 100% Miller Lite to "Brew anything new lately that I can try?"

He's hooked on my Dark Cherry Stout I made from NB.

loafinaround likes this.