1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Cooking with Beer

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by sind310, Oct 6, 2012.

1. sind310

sind310 Aficionado (175) California Nov 15, 2011

I bake and cook a lot with beer. Made BBQ sauce with Bruery Smoking wood, cheese soup with garlic butter crostini using Alpine beer co. Hoppy Birthday, poached chicken mole with Church brew works mole stout, ceviche with Tustin brewing Lemon Heights, strawberry shortcake Brouwerij Huyghe's Frubee Strawberry for bread and Mauis coconut porter for the icing. What are some of your favorite foods made with beer?

2. Personally I Love using Lagunitas Little Sumpin Supmin for Panes con Pavo and Carnitas. Shhhhh.....don't tell anyone ;) Es muy delicioso!!!

3. My wife made a damn tasty chocolate cake with an Edmund Fitzgerald last week.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. All of that sounds fantastic.

5. I usually use some of my favorites with any recipe that uses any stock (chicken, beef, veggie, etc) I have a great French Onion Recipe that uses a stout that really brings out the compexity of the beer used. I am working on a Fondue recipe that uses a Hefe that I havent quite nailed down yet.

6. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Bourbon County Brownies?

mtoxfox likes this.
  7. Coffee Bender Brownies?

sliverX likes this.
  8. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (475) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

Old Rasputin Stout Cake

9. I never grill brats without boiling them in beer and a stick of butter first.

10. wheatwine1973

wheatwine1973 Aspirant (35) Maine Sep 9, 2011

Anyone have a good recipe for pork loin and beer?

11. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

2 cups of warm water
    2 cups of cold oktoberfest/marzen beer
    1/4 cup of kosher salt
    1/4 cup of brown sugar

1lb pork loin

Dissolve sugar and salt in the warm water. Once dissolved, pour in the cold beer to bring the temp down. Put pork loin in plastic bag. Pour brine over loin, seal, and set in fridge for 4 hours.

Take out of fridge. Rinse off and pat dry. Salt and pepper skin. Maybe add a bit of dried sage too. Sear all sides really good. Roast at 400 till center reaches about 145-150 degrees.

Can't get easier than that

sailorastro likes this.
  12. Here's an easy video recipe for Chilli Con Carne with Guinness. Cooked by my kids.

sind310 and Boz12 like this.
  13. AdamU726

AdamU726 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 5, 2010

I add a good smokey beer to my chili most of the time, and my girlfriend made LH Milk Stout cupcakes before...the beer was used in the batter, filling and frosting...you could REALLY taste it.

BeerGogglesReviews likes this.
  14. Wow I'm gonna have to try a smokey beer next time. Okells do a fantastic peat smoked porter called Aile.

15. Care to share the french onion soup recipe? Huge fan of the soup, would love to attempt it with beer.

16. the last batch I did was with GI Big John (normally use Young's Double Chocolate)
    take 3 large onions and cut to size preference (dont go too small, will make it hard to eat) and put in large pot.
    Use whatever oil you like to gently carmalize the onions (usually takes a good 20 minutes)
    in a seperate pot, reduce 22 oz of your favorite darker beer (stouts or rauche beers work great)
    once reduced by half, double the amount of liquid with chicken stock
    reduce heat to simmer and toss in your onions with 3 bay leaves
    season broth to taste (I prefer using garlic powder and seasoned salt, up to you)
    take a baguette and cut in to serving sizes (ideally you should get two pieces of baguette to one bowl of soup) and toast one side underneath a broiler, after toasting either coat with garlic butter or rub garlic pieces on toast to impart the garlic flavor. Once you have toasted one side, place Provolone cheese on the other side and warm thouroughly
    Once the "soup" is to your taste, add to a bowl and put on a cookie sheet, place the correct amount amount of baguette pieces cheese side down into the soup and cover the other side with more Provolone cheese. Place back in oven (on broil) to toast and melt the cheese. Sprinkle with either cut green onion or parsley.
    enjoy

Nordicsk8er likes this.
  17. What I don't get is people who post about using Bud or Coors for cooking. I mean, if you wouldn't drink it, why cook with it? If the flavor is already thin, it's not going to help the recipe much.

18. creepinjeeper, kenpo23 and sind310 like this.
  19. The only time I'd expect to see Coors Light and food mixed together are the diced carrots spewed up into the pavement pizzas outside an Essex nightclub.

20. mtoxfox

mtoxfox Disciple (55) California Dec 7, 2009

Maui CocoNut Porter Chocolate Cheesecake with pretzel crust...... paired with The Bruery Fruet....to die for

ehammond1 and beermeright like this.
  21. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

22. That Maui Coconut Porter is amazing mate. I'd love to taste a cheesecake made with it. If I could get past drinking the lot before getting near the kitchen.

sind310 likes this.
  23. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

I do something similar, but I use a bit of rosemary and sage, then smoke it for a couple hours.

24. All these brilliant ideas are making me hungry.

25. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Oh God - any braising recipe goes great with beer. Deglaze short ribs or veal chops (oso bucco) with oktoberfest before braising in broth. Deglaze chicken thighs with a Belgian dark before braising (Coq au Biere) . Ive used IPA in brining liquid for turkeys and chickens. Porter or stout to deglaze the stockpot with a pot roast? Perfect.

The trick is, add flavorful beer to flavorful food. When working with soups, add it as an accent. Its good in bread. And when preparing meat, use it as you would use wine. Use it to deglaze a pan (stop the frying and scrape the pan bottom). Be liberal when you deglaze - add the bottle and let it be a big part of the braising liquid.

Beer has a lack of acidity that makes it better for searing and slow cooking than for marinating, when it comes to meats.

sind310 likes this.
  26. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

Beef shanks braised in St Bernardus and warm spices. Great for winter.

27. I made it with Zombie Dust which is definitely what made the meal.

28. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

I use LaFolie, Duchesse Du Bourgogne and/or Rodenbach to make French Onion Soup. It's pretty awesome and a hit with everyone who has tried it regardless of whether they're into craft beer or not.

29. Steak & Beer Stir Fry

About 1 lb. top round steak, high heat vegetable oil (safflower, etc.), chopped leeks, sliced mushrooms, a few cups of sliced asparagus or broccoli, cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, about 8 oz of a dry lager Beer or Ale, sesame seeds or toasted sesame oil.
    -Thinly slice and marinate the steak in a mixture of 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, some chopped fresh ginger and garlic, and about 1/2 cup of Beer.
    -As the steak marinates, stir fry the asparagus or broccoli with 2 tablespoons of a high heat oil in a skillet or wok until crisp/tender - remove
    -Stir fry the leeks and mushrooms until soft - remove
    -Add the steak along with the marinade, slowly add a little more Beer to the wok or skillet during cooking. The sauce should thicken as it cooks.
    -When the steak is almost done to your liking (rare, medium, or well), mix the veggies back in, stir and heat thoroughly.
    -Garnish with some sesame seeds or sesame oil and serve with rice (jasmine or basmati are good choices)

30. beerbitty

beerbitty Disciple (60) New York Aug 19, 2010

Hey Doug, Thanks so much for the shout out!! I'm a huge fan of braises with beer, particularly during the winter. Quad braised osso bucco. Flanders braised short ribs. Even pot roast! Especially now that the weather is cooling down. I also incorporate beer into salad dressings and glazes for roasted veggies. Yum!! Check out my website (www.beerbitty) or this book which just came out featuring recipes from different people in the San Diego craft beer community, Brew Food.

Cheers,
    Heather (aka BeerBitty)

DougOLis likes this.
  31. Absolutely, 100%. Even if I don't cook with beer in a braising or frying recipe, I will usually deglaze with an IPA or a lager to pick up whatever bits and juices remain in the pan. I also do this for sausage, peppers and onions, which I think I'm going to make tonight after reading this thread.

32. RustyP

RustyP Savant (350) Texas Dec 22, 2008

I've made a bacon-onion-stout jam a few times that's pretty tasty:

1lb bacon, diced
    2 large sweet onions, diced
    8oz stout (Ive used Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout and a buddy's homebrew)
    1/3c maple syrup (maybe a little more to taste)
    2T balsamic vinegar

Render the bacon over med-low heat in a dutch oven until most all the fat has melted and bacon is almost crispy. Remove bacon and drain off all but 1T of the fat. Increase the heat a bit and saute the onions until lightly caramelized. Deglaze pan with your stout, mix in maple syrup and vinegar, add bacon pieces back to the mix, simmer for 1.5-2hrs, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer into a food processor and pulse to desired consistency (I like it creamy and uniform in texture), sweeten to taste with more maple syrup or honey. Cool and store in the refrigerator...no idea how long it will last, as mine is always used up within a week or two :)

This stuff is great serves cold as a sandwich spread, warm on top of a cheeseburger, or mixed with sour cream, cream cheese, and chives to make a creamy dip for chips.

33. BrittQ

BrittQ Aficionado (105) Texas Apr 25, 2012

Rogue chipotle for chile, Billies Chilies for micheladas ;)

34. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

I will use Chimay Blue to make my Beef Carbanade ala flamande

35. beermeright

beermeright Disciple (60) Nov 4, 2012

i know i am belated on this... but its cold and freeezing outside. tonight i made homemade dumpling drops and used southern tier and it was really yummy. :) you can also add beer to BROTHS, soups, rice, stir frys, potatoes, meatloafs, etc. yum yum yum. happy wintery cooking.

sind310 likes this.
  36. Stoudt's Fat Dog chocolate mousse!

37. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Lately I've been picking up fresh Wild Boar sausage from the Austin Farmers Market from Dai'Due , simmering them in the stovetop in Shiner Holiday Cheer (which is a dunkelweizen made with peaches & pecans), and then finishing them on the grill.

Nothing is better. Nothing!

creepinjeeper likes this.