1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Coopers 150th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, Feb 28, 2012.

1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Anybody have any idea on what Coopers is doing for this yet???

Heard a few things about 6 months ago and then the talk just stopped
  2. Would love to see them do an imperial version of their stout or something
    joecast likes this.
  3. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

wow, nice suggestion hopswiller
  4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Imperial Export Stout would be grand.
  5. mulder1010

coopers low carb rebadged!!!!!!
  6. I heard that it was to be a Vintage Ale made special somehow - in saying that it didn't look partcularly different... but indeed that was along time ago....
  7. mulder1010

That sounds like Crown Reserve now. $100 a bottle and free Brett in the beer. Nobody in Adelaide could afford it then.
  8. danieelol

Cmon, that's a fair price. Redoak's barleywine is $75 and I'm sure it's at least 33% better.

And if you compare it to Holgate Empress it's positively stellar value
  9. mulder1010

You get a wood box with the private reserve. If it was Huron pine I would consider it
  10. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Still no major news on the 150th anniversary brew.

Coopers would only say this in a press release today:

Mr Cooper said that Coopers had planned a series of events across the nation to celebrate the 150th anniversary, including the release of a special anniversary beer.​

Details of the new beer are still under wraps, but in keeping with Coopers tradition it will be a bottle conditioned ale.​
  11. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Barrel aged??
  12. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

Heard an interview with Dr Tim Cooper on the latest Radio Brews news. He gave out the following details:
    • 5.2%
    • Red hue colour
    • Naturally Conditioned
    • New flavour profile for Coopers
    The style is still undecided - but it could be an IPA
  13. Lukie

Sounds boring. I hope they hop it with heaps and heaps and heaps of Pride.
  14. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Part of me hopes that Tim and the rest of the family put out a press release saying 'We've made the greatest beer ever, but we're keeping it to ourselves, it's our family's anniversary and none of you peasants are getting any.''

Then they release a few bottles on ebay, sit around a computer and giggle as we all scramble to get some...
  15. danieelol

Sounds lame. Sorry.

Surely they would want something that you can actually age for their 150th. Here's hoping it's a Beetroot Kriek.
  16. mulder1010

would save my ebay money for something worthwhile..................................................Baller Stout.
    Great, we already get Midwestern hype. Now add in Victorian hype and now SA Hype. Brilliant.
  17. mulder1010

If it is really like that do not need to get some homeless people to line up for the release. Can save my money for the next BA Speedway release.:D
  18. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (170) Australia Jul 9, 2008

is it a low alc version of sparkling ale?
  19. Has anybody tried the Celebration Ale yet?
    Interested on feed back to see if its a 6 pack purchase or worth a couple of cartons.
  20. danieelol

Is this beer out is it?
  21. It is out, and it's resolutely unspecial. I like it, but it's just the solid ordinary beer it sounds like. And yes, it's full of Coopers yeast and PoR. I laughed.
  22. danieelol

haha, that's pretty funny. oh well.
  23. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (170) Australia Jul 9, 2008

yeh i tried it, hardly some thing to celebrate, a total bore
  24. danieelol

oh by the way I didn't happen to notice this at Dan Murphy's or any other liquor stores I've been to recently. Is it meant to be widely available by now? Not sure if it's even worth trying anyway. I wonder what their rationale for releasing such a boring anniversary beer was. Maybe they're hoping to make it part of their regular lineup.
  25. Must confess I think Coopers have really missed the boat on this one. I'm with danieelol, nix seen around the traps, and for such a big anniversary, I would have expected something more unusual.

Main problem I see is their older core range appeals to the BA diehards among us, whereas all the newer releases seem more mass market. Oh, and they are now brewing Carlsberg, as well. Nuff said.
  26. Lukie

They built their new lager brewery to enter the lager market, which didn't really work. So to fill capacity they had to contract it out to brew other beers here (Sapporo, Carlsberg).

Silly Coopers.
  27. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

28. buddyau

buddyau Initiate (0) Australia Feb 16, 2009

Very average not even as good as Red & Green Coopers
  29. ADZA

ADZA Savant (465) Australia Jun 25, 2009

Coopers 150 comes across as a cross between their pale ale and a VB and with that list of hops its a massive let down
  30. They built a nice large brewery that gives them room to meet demand, their big-two ale production is in excess of any other beer they make, and they still have room to explore other areas of the market.

Smart Coopers.
    ALEBOY and MordeciaFunk like this.
  31. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Now where did I leave my pick-axe for that pesky watermelon keg....
  32. Yep.

When I said "I laughed" above, I meant that the penny dropped when I sniffed it -- _of_course_ they weren't going to produce a special beer for us barely-relevant savoury eaters: they were _always_ going to produce a commercial beer to explore what's viable.
  33. joecast

yeah, tried it tonight. pretty average.
  34. Lukie

I don't blame them at all for wanting to expand production of their staples, but they initially came out and said they built a lager specific brewery to enter the lager market, which didn't work. Coopers built themselves on good ales, not crap adjunct lagers.
  35. It all went downhill when they brought out that Pilsner 62...should have stuck with their stable of five beers...the mild, pale ale, sparkling ale, stout and vintage (and possibly dark ale, although I only ever saw this beer once).
  36. Coopers Clear was the most depressing move i reckon
  37. Lukie

That stuff is horrendous. It appears to be the beer of choice of my younger brothers friends. One of whom recently mentioned that the only beer that you should ever throw away is export. I linked him to ratebeers export and clear ratings. Both 5/100. I don't think he drinks Coopers Clear anymore.
  38. joecast

Kind of like the beer world version of Scared Straight.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scared_Straight!
    Lukie likes this.