Coopers Brewery Acquires Mr. Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,415) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member Verified Subscriber

http://blogs.wsj.com/dealjournalaus...toasts-u-s-beer-takeout/?mod=google_news_blog

"Australia’s largest closely held beer maker, Coopers Brewery, is toasting its 150th anniversary with a new brand in its portfolio.
    The Adelaide-based brewer has bought the U.S.’s largest home-brew brand , Mr Beer, in a “multimillion dollar” deal. Coopers’s first major acquisition in almost 30 years aims to cement its position among the leaders of the global home beer-making market in terms of sales volumes."

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,345) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002 Verified

I dig Coopers brews and if they make Mr Beer kits better, using their brewing knowledge, I'd give 'em a go. If they just bought it and don't intend to change anything, I'll pass.

3. JackBrewsBeer

JackBrewsBeer Aspirant (45) Texas Feb 12, 2011

I've stuck with the Mr Beer's little brown kegs for all my homebrewing because I like small batches. I'd rather run out of a batch wanting more than stuck with a batch I'm tired of.

So far as the Mr Beer ingredient kits go, the ones with booster aren't good (thus explaining Mr Beer's reputation among beer snobs,) but the all malt kits range from pretty decent to downright great. Better yeast and more hops never hurts, of course. Probably a quarter of my brews are straight up Mr Beer kits made as is or only adding dry hops and a different yeast. Another half are based on Mr Beer hopped extract plus dme, lme, or a mini-mash along with hops and different yeast.

I hope this buy-out increases the overall quality of the product range, but I also hope Coopers keeps the best recipes.