1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Coopers Vintage 2012

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by goodbyesoberday, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Has anyone tried one of these yet?

I was attending a wake yesterday and was offered a warm bottle of the new vintage. I must say, and the first reason I post, I was impressed. It was a cold evening to be standing around in a suit, and the malt profile was immediately outstanding.

What impressed upon me most though, was that the malt was followed by some very nice light hop character. Normally I'm used to the hops coming first, especially when the impression was such light tropical green fresh fruit.

Since I typically overanalyse everything, my first overall thought was disappointment that the lovely hop flavour would not even remotely stand up to the ageing expected from a 'vintage' ale.

Then I thought they'd done a very nice job of giving this vintage an immediate 'drink it now' quality. That always pays for sales.

I also love the idea of a beer that has different peaks in quality over time. Fresh bright hops when young, a dry & malty backbone at the peak of its existence and a marriage of rich malt and oxidative qualities in the twilight years.

Perhaps I'm waxing lyrical, but I enjoyed my beer experience yesterday. Sometimes, I think that's what it's all about.

2. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

You're exactly right Mr Goodbyesoberday, time and place is everything with beer. There's no point having awesome beers if you have no-one to share them with.

I'm also glad the Vintage turned out ok, I've got 18 kegs of the damn stuff coming in....

3. Though im not quite as enamoured with the cv12 as goodbyesoberday is...

... It was the taste of the cv12 and the current taste of cv11 (compared to the aussie macro hop peasant it was this time last year, sorry to offend anyone) that has restored my faith in coopers vintage!

I thought the 1yo cv11 was great; not really english like i remember the cv09 and cv10 being, but still great

Hooray for good aussie $4 beers that improve with age!

4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

I am still yet to try it. Might try it tomorrow (today it's early hours). I was disappointed with last years vintage, feeling it was too hot, and had too much of that dry biscuit character, so that has put me off trying this years vintage. I fondly remember big curacao flavours in previous versions.

5. I have remembered another factor for why this year's Vintage gave me such a good beer moment. Before I drank it, I had it confused with the Anniversary ale.

Lukie likes this.
  6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

actually I had not yet noticed this was on sale

7. It always helps to lower your expectations if you want to enjoy something!

8. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Quite possibly the only reason women spend time with me....

I've got a 6er I'm aging, and will drink at 3 month, 6 month, 9 month.... you get drift.... intervals to see how the old girl holds up.

9. Interesting - I picked up a 6-er a few days ago, but a whole lot of places (some Dannos etc) are already out - made we wonder if production levels were down, or of course, popularity up?

10. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

It's weird, they released the 150th Anniversary and did an ad campaign months later. I saw the ads for the Vintage Ale about a month before I could find it. Still more at the Sackville.

In the end I was thankful there were 20ml less this year. Was the least enjoyable one I've had.

11. found a bottle from 99 that i had stashed away with a few other beers when i moved house a few years ago that i still haven't cracked, has anybody else sampled a bottle of around this age?

also hidden was a bottle of swan stout and one of Kalgoorlie Stout, two classic WA stouts from back in the day.

12. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Had a 98 a year or 2 ago, was very oxidised. But as we know storage conditions play a huge part.