1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Copper kettle Mexican chocolate stout.... Bottled

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by LoganStegman, Jun 12, 2013.

1. LoganStegman

LoganStegman Zealot (95) Colorado Jun 11, 2013

I don't know If this is old news... But the Mexican Chocolate stout is being bottled now! I'm sitting at the brewery and today was the first day bottles are being filled!

hopfacebrew likes this.
  2. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

They're in bombers too. I just need to 6 other people to split a bottle when I get a chance.

3. LoganStegman

Sorry I meant bombers!

4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

5. How much are they?

6. dauss

Oops, didn't proofread when posting from my phone. Fixed. :)

7. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Are they already for sale? Dammit I drove by there like 30 minutes ago, d'oh!

8. haha that was dumb of you

hopfacebrew likes this.
  9. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Yeah no kidding. I made it to Dry Dock though so it wasn't a complete loss :)

10. LoganStegman

I think they are for sale now.... Release party was this past weekend I think.

11. Was just there, the release party is actually this Friday the 21st, 12-close.

12. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

They've been selling the bottles for a week or two. Cracked one at a BBQ last weekend and even did a side-by-side with a growler. Tastes just like draft although the cinnamon might be dialed slightly down for that batch. Good stuff either way.
    Their helles is damn fine, too.

LoganStegman and drumrboy22 like this.
  13. LoganStegman

Oops my mistake, I guess I was a little ahead of myself!

14. I bought a bottle at Copper Kettle last weekend...

15. anyone from parker planning on going up? i can pay you b4 or after

16. It's probably for sale, they are just having a "release" party to celebrate it I'd assume!

17. Domingo

Yeah, I think that's the deal. I was there last night and I saw 6-7 people leave with them. They're prominently displayed in the cooler. Last week they grabbed 'em out of the back for me, but I'm pretty sure they're selling them to everyone now.
    I believe the release party is just to celebrate.

LoganStegman likes this.
  18. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (415) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

Just bought some today. opened one up to see how it matches vs tap : delicious. It held up very well to bottling. and @ $12.50/22oz it's a reasonably good price considering what some other small breweries have to charge for 22oz bottles.
    We frequent Cooper Kettle and drink MCS every time: variations in the beer is standard. Sometimes it is cinnamaiminiminhon forward, sometimes chili forward. Last summer, it was super hot. One guarantee: it is always fantastic.

19. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (670) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Had this on tap
    Had this on tap on Saturday and it was very chili-forward, any idea if the bottles are the same?

20. wdeck9

wdeck9 Aficionado (175) Colorado Jun 24, 2008

I thought the bottles were very chili & cinnamon forward but delicious

21. Jasonrm72

22. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (410) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

I plan to age mine just a bit to see how it comes out. The beer is quite tasty, but with so much spice and cinnamon they batches can definitely range. Cannot wait for them to bottle their Bourbon County Breakfast Stout!

LoganStegman likes this.
  23. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

In town from Austin and tried this at epic beerfest. loved it. Went to copper kettle and bought a case. Hopefully it survives the fedex trip back. cannot wait to share with all my friends in Texas. The helles there was damn tasty as well. I also grabbed a couple MCS stickers to go on my kegerator at home. SCORE!

24. I didn't really like it, too hot.

RuckusDu likes this.
  25. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (725) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

lolwut?

MarkyMOD and MYJELLOMISFIT like this.
  26. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

That was a head-scratcher for me, too. $12.50 for a 750ml maybe...but 22oz?

27. It's $25 for a growler of it and worth every penny imho. I'll definitely have to get a bottle or two to lay down for a bit.

Domingo likes this.
  28. Domingo

Yeah, it's not really that big of a value for anyone who is close enough to visit the brewery. I think they probably know that a lot of people come by and try it and get hooked. Those bottles are the answer to that problem.

Schmittymack likes this.
  29. Jasonrm72

Strange Brewing Dr. Strangelove: $20. higher ABV, but still expensive
    Renegade Elevated Wood: $23+ sometimes. Since then the price has dropped dramatically because no one was buying it. 750ml bottle, and oak aged, but still wicked expensive.
    Pretty much anything from Trinity up until this last distribution push. Bigger bottles, but the prices were still way too high. People still complain the $ for Slap yer mammy
    There were others I remember seeing on the shelves and going into sticker shock, I just cant recall them offhand and really don't care enough to research.

The point is, comparatively speaking to some of the other *small* breweries who bottled their stuff, it's not a bad price. It's an expensive beer to make, so of course it isn't going to be $6/22oz like Lone Tree's beers. And the price/oz is barely higher than when buying a growler. Shocker, they need to raise the price some to pay for the bottling line, bottles and labels.

I'm not suggesting anyone has to like the price or buy the beer, but the confusion over the price simply doesn't make sense when plenty of precedents have already been set. Per usual, to each their own.

30. dauss

It may also be priced to reduce the demand. With a 3 barrel system and a 30 barrel fermentor, it would affect their other production if they had to constantly make the stout.

31. ArrogantB

I agree, the precedent has certainly been set for new breweries to charge ridiculous prices for bottles of what is usually less than stellar beer. As long as the geeks keep buying it. Look at Bull and Bush. I like Man beer but $5-$6 per pint? No.

denver10 likes this.
  32. Jasonrm72

personally I'd rather just go to the breweries and drink the beer there as opposed to buy the bottles. But there are some I do buy bottles of because getting to the brewery, especially mid-week, is just too much, like my constant mood for a Yeti.
    Fortunately for me, Copper Kettle is just down the road from where my wife works, so I will rarely need a reason to buy MCS bottles. But the bottle does allow me to send them to friends and as extras on trades. And I don't have a problem paying the premium on those occasions.
    The curse of the small brewery is lower volume which increases the price/unit. Nevermind when a small brewery like CK buys their own bottling line. That's a solid chunk of overhead that needs to be recuperated. Maybe the price will come down once the line is paid for, maybe not. Either way I'm cool with it. And if people like the beer even half as much as my wife and I do and want it on hand, now they have the opportunity, even if it costs a bit more.
    It's not cheap, but it really isn't that far out there either.

Man, is it hard to not get spoiled out here, or what? There are so many great options that we get to quibble about whether $12.50 is too much for 650ml, but not 750ml. Denver is freaking awesome.

beatenbyjacks and ArrogantB like this.
  33. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I probably don't think as negatively about some of these beers as the opinion just expressed, but I definitely agree with the main point. It does seem as though too many beers are being priced based on what they expect customers willing to pay, not on actual value.

MarkyMOD and hopfacebrew like this.
  34. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (670) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Agreed, that's why we all need to drink more River North! Never had an overpriced beer from them (even happily gifted their anniversary beer).

35. How 'bout this for an expensive beer? 2013 FFF Dark Lord. Count the ticket price of $30 with a limit of three bottles, that's $25 for a 22oz bottle of decent stout. Yes, I went, 'cause it's a shitload of fun and all but there are definitely better stouts out there (Avery Meph, Uncle Jacobs, MCS, any variant of Yeti just to name some locals). Depends on what your wallet allows; as the Mrs is constantly reminding me/us: "It's you beer geeks that are driving the market for breweries charging higher prices".

36. Five to six bones for a pint is a normal/decent price for just about anything anymore. I remember when breweries here charged $3.50 or less and was shocked to pay $5 or more a pint in Chicago at GI several years ago. Was pleasantly surprised to see that Revolution was charging $5 for most of their stuff when we had dinner there back in April. IF my wages were to keep up (or be even close to what I made even three years ago), I wouldn't hesitate to buy pints at $6-7 and bombers in the $15 or so range. Since that's not happening, I'm drinking on the cellar a LOT more and not adding as many of the new releases.

37. CObeer

CObeer Aspirant (30) Colorado Sep 28, 2011

Saw it at Joy. $10.99. I will definitely buy this at some point but 4th of July is about quantity. Bought a 12 pack of swill instead.

I have to agree with over priced beer but didn't we create this market? Might be time for some self-regulation.

38. ArrogantB

I think its a fair price for a pint at a bar but not a pint bottle. I think Russian River can get away with charging $5-$6 for a pint of Pliny because it is an exceptional beer. Man beer is good but it isn't exceptional.

39. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

We're getting into a personal quality scale economic model for beer pricing? Stop it. You guys are blowing my mind right now.

40. ArrogantB

I'm sure you are willing to pay more for a barrel aged stout from Avery than you are a barrel-aged stout from Full Sail, amirite? Lesser quality breweries get away with charging these high prices because most geeks are really not that discriminating, they see limited and barrel-aged and just say oh I guess it should cost $22 per 750ml.