1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Copper kettle Mexican chocolate stout.... Bottled

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by LoganStegman, Jun 12, 2013.

1. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

never been to copper kettle

purchased a bottle last night

i liked it, but there was a little too much chile. i actually enjoyed the heat, but the other spices would benefit from less heat. they came through beautifully in the nose but on the palate they were quickly overwhelmed by the heat at the finish of the taste.

2. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Copper Kettle's MCS was a GABF gold winner. That's one (big) medal more than 99.9% of other beers have won. While not the end all be all, it's at least a little quality assurance.

3. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

The competition is a crapshoot, but they didn't even place in 2012.

4. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

theyre very fortunate to have gotten a perfect batch to gabf, kudos to them for it.

variations in batches of chiles and spices will certainly have their effect especially on a system their size, its not really something you can account for in a recipe. less product to blend ultimately means that we get to taste the variations batch to batch, something i particularly enjoy.

i enjoyed the beer but it wasnt gabf gold last night. im also sure that gabf judges didnt down 11oz of the stuff over the course of an hour+ - much like barbecue competitions - sometimes its one perfect sip or bite that takes the cake. i liked the beer and dont have a prob w. the pricepoint (10.99).

tacosandbeer likes this.
  5. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

Im from Austin, I didn't mind paying 12.50 for that beer. I thought 32$ for the fifty fifty eclipse was expensive though at liquor mart but that beer is expensive everywhere. 8-12 for a bomber is reasonable for a stout.