1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Corked Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GCurlow, Feb 17, 2013.

1. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

I have to agree that there has not been enough data to prove how efficient screw tops can be. I have read George Taber's book on that subject, along with his others. I've written articles about Cork in some local wine magazines. I am currently involved with doing some research regarding the effectiveness of screw tops.
    I do have to disagree abit regarding the statement about screw tops for wines made to be consumed within 5 years.
    The biggest enemy of wines (yet can be their friend when drinking) is oxygen. Exposure to oxygen is the quickest way to have a wine start to deteriorate. 20 years ago, I was lucky enough to work with some winemakers from France and Spain. Back then, the overall quality of corks was so much higher than it is today. The production of making corks for wine (and beer) is a very costly process, both in time and money. A small vineyard just outside of Bordeaux bottle some wines with screwtops. After ten years, they did not see any noticeable difference from the ones that were corked.
    We will be seeing more wines migrating to screw tops in the next five years. The biggest move will happen, once the big names from USA make the change. Right now, unless all the trees used to make corks from Spain and Portugal dry out, the French will bottle their premium wines with cork, as well as most of Europe. Today, many of the European wines under $15 are coming with screw tops now. And they are made to be consumed today or can be cellar ed for 5 to 10 years. Only time will determine its value.
    Anyway, that's my wine interest coming out, back to beer.

jgluck likes this.
  2. This is more the point I was trying to make. 99% of wines in that price range are meant to be consumed within about 5 years - not saying that they won't last longer, but realistically, you're pressing your luck going much beyond that. And the marketing side of it dictates that if you're marketing a product that you want to exude luxury, you better put a real cork in it. More power to Plumpjack for going all screwtop. Mollydooker is a good example of another mostly-screwtop range, but you'll note that Velvet Glove is rocking cork.

I do think that if breweries (looking at you, Bruery) are going to be charging $25+ per bottle and are going to claim that the beer is going to last 15+ years, they should seriously look into a better closure system.

3. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

My view of corked beer? It's a sobriety test. An unwanted sobriety test.

4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I've read this thread twice and still don't know what it's about.
    Next up: Glass Bottles?

5. 99.99% certain that the OP is referring to TCA

6. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Corks can be hit and miss. Literally.
    Seriously, I'm no fanboy of the cork. Many brews gone bad could have been saved by using bottle caps. Usually I have to chill corked bottles in my beer fridge door because they're just a little too tall for the shelves.

7. What's the perm rating on cork?

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Aficionado (185) Iowa Jan 23, 2012

i love a C&C bottle very cool pop that is cool in front of company but i hated opening a lindemans cap to find that there was a cork under it

9. I'd second that notion. Most beers are stored upright, and the lack of liquid contacting the cork could have something to do with the cork shrinking over time. Personally, I've never had a "corked" (tainted) beer, but I am also a wine drinker, and I've had several corked wines. However, I have never had TCA issues with any wines with either a screwtop or a synthetic cork.

Speaking of which, I've never seen any beers/ales with synthetic corks. Has anyone ever seen one ? Might be something to consider...

10. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I'm indifferent to corks. Although, the last time I had Chimay the cork popped off after I took the cage off. I was not expecting that but no injuries occurred. Moral of the story: Drink Chimay never take the cage off until you are ready to pour.

Droogins likes this.
  11. ^ srsly eyes get lost that way.

12. TimRex

TimRex Zealot (85) New York Feb 28, 2013

The only corked beers I've had were Ommegang Abbey Ale, Three Philosophers, and Hennepin (on multiple occasions). I've never had an issue with any of their beers and they were all cage corked.

13. This is how you THINK you look when opening that Allagash Cireux at a party...

[​IMG]

But this is what you REALLY look like...

[​IMG]

MattyG85, Dizbro21, jgluck and 2 others like this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Who'd have thought a taint would taste like shit?

SatlyMalty, Stugtozo and Sam_Frank like this.
  15. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Vague thread topic is vague

16. abkayak

abkayak Savant (335) New York Jan 8, 2013

yea....corks are for assholes.

17. TCA is a naturally occurring compound found in natural cork, which is why you wouldn't encounter it in screwtops or synthetic corks.

The only synthetic cork I've seen in beer was a bottle of Brute from Ithaca.

18. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

De Proef uses synthetic corks as well. I am sure more exist, but I don't know of any off hand.

19. I wonder if their is a difference in the air exchange of a cork vs an oxidant resistant bottle top?

20. rob133

rob133 Savant (290) California Jan 7, 2009

[​IMG]

Opened a bottle of 'This is the Shit that killed Elvis' from Ale Industries last weekend, and was surprised to see one of these under the foil. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Wasn't sure what to make if the beer either....or the price I paid for the bottle, but that is another story.

21. Two weeks ago I took the cage off a bottle of Ovila Golden and the cork suddenly exploded out of the bottle. It hit me between the eyes with enough force to leave a mark, and naturally the bottle itself became a geyser immediately afterward. After throwing the bottle into the sink and picking up the metal cap with the fancy O on it to add to my collection, I said fuck it and chugged what remained like it was Keystone Light. For, you know, revenge.

The moral of the story is that you should follow conventional wisdom and not stand over a bottle you're opening, and also that Ovila Golden makes an excellent air freshener when applied liberally to your apartment's furniture.

klaybie and jgluck like this.
  22. Wish I'd read the entire thread before posting a story about almost being blinded by a cork that ends with "moral of the story". Shit.

klaybie likes this.
  23. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Haha! No worries sir. It's better to have two cautionary tales than one. Really hammers the point home indeed.

24. The bottles for sale in SoCal have a sticker over the cork and cage on this beer that say use extreme caution when opening or something of that nature.

25. Did it then hit Keith Hernandez?

Hopportunistic likes this.
  26. CMB2012

CMB2012 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 26, 2008

Talk about corks popping without notice: This beer. There are a few mentioned in the reviews and seriously after only three twists of the cage (not even fully loose yet) the cork flew off and nailed the ceiling. It broke through the damn cage! The beer was just okay, not worth loosing an eye or having to push daises for the rest of life.

27. hehe, yup. seems the OP just abandoned the thread too, so that for now, nobody can be 100% sure about the intended discussion (ie, use of corks in general vs. cork taint/TCA)