1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Corned Beef Slow Cooked with Beer

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Maltytasker, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Cooked a Corned Beef Brisket in the Slow Cooker overnight . I woke up this morning and the house smelled great . Had it set on low and cut if off after about 9 1/2 hours . Was falling apart when I checked it . Real tender and tasty .

Real easy to fix too . Just put the brisket into cooker fat side down . Mine was a bit under 4 lbs . Spread the spice packet on top . I used some fresh ground pepper also . Pour in a bottle of dark / malty beer . I used Brown Shugga because it was handy and I've had good results with it before . I've also used Bocks , Stouts and leftover Oktoberfests . Set the Slow Cooker on low and cook for 8-10 hrs . A woman at work told me how to cook it but she used water . Was going to do that but I happened to have a bottle of SA Oktoberfest on the counter . I threw in that instead and it came out great .

2. This sounds good and I'd like to make this. The supermarket had a sale of corned beef for $1.99 a pound so I stocked up.

Did you soak the Corned Beef in water before cooking?

Just one beer to cover and no water?

Add onions or anything else?

3. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

I believe brining is standard for for corned beef. In fact they LONG brine it at delis etc. I'd definitely add more of own spices and aromatics. Not quite sure what a spice packet is.

kudos for maltytasker for doing this.. i need to do same.