1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

corny keg issue

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by jlordi12, Apr 9, 2013.

1. What would cause a corny keg to leak from the post base? I think its the actual keg and nothing to do with o-rings, etc. Has anyone ever seen this, is there a fix aside from welding the crack?

2. If you've truly eliminated the dip tube o-ring as the cause, then it's likely you need to weld the crack, assuming there is one. Not sure what else might explain that. Have you tried replacing both o-rings on that post? (at less than 2 cents each, I do it every time I clean a keg).

3. It is actually under the gas post so that would rule out the dip tube. I don't think it's the exterior o-ring as there is no sign of leak until the keg is fully pressurized. I'm assuming if it was a faulty oring it would leak immediately?

4. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I'm confused here. The dip tube is under the gas post isn't it?

5. It is under the liquid post.

6. There are two dip tubes - one under each post (though, strictly speaking, the gas dip tube doesn't actually dip into anything). Each dip tube has an o-ring in addition to the post o-ring (5 o-rings total: 2 on the liquid side, 2 on the gas side, and the big one on the lid). If you're not aware of that, then I think it's a safe bet that you haven't replaced the o-ring on the gas dip tube.

weatherdog likes this.
  7. cracker

And the gas post. You do have a gas dip tube right? So check that you have one and that it has an o-ring on it.

8. Honestly, I don't have a gas dip tube on either of my kegs and one works "perfectly". This is news to me. Where can I get a replacement?

9. Can I go without the gas dip tube?

10. You need the dip tube to hold the o-ring that creates the seal. That's the way it's designed. You might get lucky and not have a leak from time to time (your other keg is evidence of that, though I'd be surprised if you weren't losing gas, perhaps too slowly to detect), but it's not the natural way to do it. Think of connecting your garden hose without a washer. If you tighten it up real tight, you might stop the leak, but that's not the correct way to do it. It's also not very reliable.

FWIW, the gas dip tube is only about 2" long. Maybe you just didn't see it?

I suspect you can get replacements from most of the stores that sell these kegs, though I've never checked.

jlordi12 likes this.
  11. cracker

Any decent sized homebrew store should sell them. Never had to buy one though as my kegs all came with them. Look online at Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies etc.

jlordi12 likes this.
  12. I have a pretty decent local store that should have them. You learn something new every day. I reallly hope that there lies the issue as it will save me a little bit of dough. Thank you both.

13. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I'm not sure I followed the conversation completely, but if you have a leak under your gas post and you have no gas dip tube (and thus no gas dip tube O-ring - don't forget to pick up a few of those too - the tiny ones, not the post ones), that's almost certainly the cause of your leak.

jlordi12 likes this.
  14. Here ya go! (I hope the links work) I keep a good number of these on hand at all times (at just under 2 cents each last time I stocked up, why not?). I change the post and dip tube o-rings every time I clean a keg (probably overkill but, at just under 2 cents each, why not?) The lid o-rings I change as needed (seldom). Keg lube is your friend!
    (Sorry I couldn't figure out a way to supply direct links)
    Lid o-ring size 417: go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ then search for '417 o-ring'
    Post o-ring size 111: search for '111 o-ring'
    Dip tube o-ring size 109: seach for '109 o-ring'

You'll see some options. I use Buna-N because they're nearly free. Silicone is probably better, but it's significantly more pricey (though I guess still pretty cheap, in the grand scheme of things)

jlordi12 likes this.
  15. I just bought a ball lock keg after killing myself with two ancient pin locks. Needless to say ill be converting them all over. I feel like its the best investment in brewing I've made. So this is how easy its supposed to be,,,