1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Corny keg outside in freezing temps?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by leedorham, Dec 26, 2012.

1. leedorham

leedorham Member

If I put a nearly full corny outside with ~7% abv liquid in it and it is going to be in the teens (Fahrenheit), will it splode or anything?
  2. kjyost

kjyost Member

I once fully froze through a full to the top corny of Root Beer. It pushed through the gaskets and pushed the rubber around the lid up, causing some cracking... Corny still holds pressure fine.

If you want it to pour though, the dip tube & the beverage line freeze easily. I (somewhat) regularly do this through the winter and it's freaking cold here (like -20C all the time :) )
    leedorham likes this.
  3. leedorham

leedorham Member

I just wanted to chill a cider down to clear it and didn't have the fridge space. Your experience has caused me to reconsider.
  4. Naugled

Naugled Member

I wouldn't, I've seen a corny split up the side before.
    leedorham likes this.
  5. cmac1705

cmac1705 Member

People do ice beer in cornies. Do they just not fill them completely?
  6. kjyost

kjyost Member

In my case the freezing was due to my father-in-law helping it doing electrical work and unplugged the temp controller and just plugged the deep freeze in. He almost killed my slurry of ECY08 Brett. He would not have been forgiven for that.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

Rules are rules and inlaws are expendable!