1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

corny kegs

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by garve, Feb 7, 2013.

1. garve

garve Zealot (85) Massachusetts Feb 16, 2009

Is there a consensus on weather the pepsi style or coke style is the better of the two for home brewing ?

2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I don't think so. The deciding factor for me was size re: which would fit best in my fridge. Pin locks may be a hair cheaper nowadays, but the function is identical.

3. only advantage to using a ball lock keg is that you can hookup the gas in to the beer line, forcing co2 through the dip tube supposedly carbonating faster. I can't say i've tested it but that's what ive read. Beware though, if your co2 tank runs empty you'll end up getting beer in your gas lines.

for me ball lock kegs were much easier to locate.

4. you can do that with pin-lock just as easily. I use ball lock because, when they were widely available and relatively cheap ($20-ish shipped), ball lock seemed to be more popular, so parts were more readily available. I guess that's still the case, but today's shorter supply and higher prices have shifted the prioritity to buying what you can find and what you can afford.

5. Learn something new every day. I could have sworn i read that you could only do that on ball locks. Either way basically go with whatever is cheaper and readily available.

6. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

ball lock has a simple to operate pressure release valve. pin locks will require you to push in on the gas post poppet to release gas pressure. ball lock are taller and skinnier. pin locks are shorter and fatter. I can fit 3xball locks in my kegerator vs. 2xpin locks. Hence I'm a ball lock keg guy.

7. garve

garve Zealot (85) Massachusetts Feb 16, 2009

wow 3 to 2 big difference..did not think they were that different in size....hmm good points you guys made !

8. mborden

mborden Savant (420) New York Jan 28, 2009

I have pin locks, mainly because they were on Craigslist when I went looking. With quick disconnects and MFL fittings, changing kegs out (i.e. ball vs. pin) isn't an issue. But yeah, the pin locks are a little stouter (by about 1" diameter) and shorter, so if you have a tight fit in your keezer, ball locks can be better.

9. The difference in size is actually quite small. Evidently, in this case, it was just enough to push it over the threshold of too big -- quite possibly by a mere fraction of a square inch. I can fit four ball locks in my 7.2 cu ft freezer. But it's tight enough that, if they were any bigger, I'd probably have to settle for three. I don't know if pin locks are big enough to make a difference in my freezer, but who knows?

10. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

I have both. In my sears brand kegerator, the compressor hump is in the top back of the kegerator. Ball locks don't fit under it, the pin lock does. This allows me to have three kegs on at a time (two ball locks, one pin). I also paid some more money and swapped the fittings for the pinlocks so that they are all ball locks now. In hindisght, I didn't really need to do that since all the beer lines have MFL's on them.