1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coronado Brewing Company Opens New Tasting Room

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Jason, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason BA Founder Staff Member

San Diego, CA (Jan 2013) - San Diego-based Coronado Brewing Company is celebrating the launch of a new 750 square foot, 25 -tap tasting room located within its recently completed 20,000 square foot production facility in the City of San Diego. The tasting room’s soft opening period will begin on Saturday, January 12 at 1 p.m. and will feature food from locally acclaimed food truck forerunners MiHo Gastrotruck. A grand opening scheduled for early February.

Final touches will be applied to the tasting room during the soft opening period. Once complete, the brew house-adjacent space will be equipped with a cask station, nitro tap, and a retail component selling Coronado Brewing Company beers (four-packs, six-packs and 22-ounce bottles), glassware, apparel and additional merchandise. In addition to watching the brewing process play out from stools and a large communal table, visitors to the tasting room will be able to sample the company’s core line of beers as well as a variety of rare and limited edition specialty brews.

Prior to the tasting room’s debut, fans seeking from-the-source tastes of the company’s award-winning beers (Orange Avenue Wit, Mermaid’s Red, Idiot IPA, and more) were required to travel to the island community of Coronado, southeast of San Diego proper. Now, a trek across the Coronado Bridge (the iconic thruway for which the company named its 2012 creation, Blue Bridge Coffee Stout) is no longer necessary for San Diegans and visitors drinking in the region’s exceptional craft beer culture.

Coronado Brewing Company’s tasting room is located at 1205 Knoxville Street in San Diego’s Bay Park community. Hours of operation are 2 to 8 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 1 to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday; and 12 to 6 p.m. on Sundays.

ABOUT CORONADO BREWING COMPANY:
    1996, brothers Ron and Rick Chapman realized a long-time dream and got ahead of the craft brew curve in a big way, opening a brewpub in the heart of their hometown of Coronado. Back then, craft beer was still a foreign term and San Diego County was home to a mere handful of breweries, most of which were struggling to find their identity. The Chapman’s had no question about who they wanted to be. Their clear-cut mission was to celebrate their islander roots through the creation of exceptional beer. And with those noble ideals, Coronado Brewing Company was born.

In no time, CBC became the pride and joy of the Crown City behind an assortment of abundantly hoppy West Coast-style ales. That early success drove them to start distributing their beer outside the brewpub. They didn’t go far for their first sale, delivering a keg to historic hometown icon The Hotel Del Coronado. From there, slowly yet steadily, CBC’s fine, hand-crafted beers trickled into the local market where they fast became favorites amid San Diego’s burgeoning beer scene.

###
  2. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

Wish they had better beers TBH. Idiot is good, and that Brandy Barrel Barleywine was excellent. Other than that...
  3. Sebowski

Sebowski Member

Check out the tasting room. Lots of non-bottled stuff on. Their Black IPA is really good. Baby Idiot is an awesome hoppy session, Milk Stout, some one-offs...

They just added 32oz growlers, and, oh, they're also selling some bottles of the Brandy Barrel Barley Wine from a couple years ago.
  4. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Member

Going to grab a growler filll to watch the Pats game tomorrow.
  5. SageO

SageO Member

Good to hear – gonna give it a shot next time I'm in the area.
  6. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

Bottles to go? Hmm, I'll take a look.
  7. djaeon

djaeon Member

That barleywine amazed me the first time I had it. One of my all time favorites!
  8. dannyhipps

dannyhipps Member

Wonder if they're gonna have the 3 beer limit at the new location as well... LOL!
  9. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Member

Went on Saturday, great setup. You can get tasters, half-pours, full pints, 2 different sized growlers, and bottles to go. They had 20 beers on tap. Tasting area has heaters too which were appreciated this weekend!
  10. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Those heaters weren't running the weekend prior and it was cold as a witch's titty in there. Lots of room to expand brewing operations and the tasting room is pretty sweet. Plus, it's close to Ballast Point so more brewery type goodness now in Bay Park. They also added 5 beers on tap in 1 week. That's nuts!
  11. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

let me know when, I might be able to join you.
  12. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Oh yeah, last point. When talking with the bartenders this new production facility will be producing their main-stream beers and the brewery on Coronado will be brewing nothing but seasonals/specalities and one-offs. Coronado Brewing has really upped their game from a decade ago and I fully expect them to explode with new fantastic or simply MORE of the good ones.
    nanobrew likes this.
  13. nanobrew

nanobrew Member

agree with their much improved line up. When I moved to SD 5 years ago I wasn't very impressed, but now they make some amazing beers.
  14. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Member

The tasting room is still in progress, they are in a soft opening phase right now. Hopefully they get something worked out for parking in a nearby lot because the Knoxville street doesn't have much. I would recommend people park on Morena Blvd and walk over.
  15. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

I think they're going to try to work a deal with the Christmas Store's lot, but that's only after they're closed. There are 2 "NO PARKING" signs for each spot in that lot. Else yes, park on Morena Blvd, walk over, then go down to the High Dive.

You should buy the Silver Spigot and turn it into a beer bar.