Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine and get 12 issues / year of fresh beer content delivered to your door each month.

Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Latin America Costa Rica

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by BrewUrbanist, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Any beer tips from anyone who has been to Costa Rica recently? Girlfriend and I heading down there in mid-January.

The first night there we are staying at Volcano Brewing Company...which will be my first brewery/resort. Has anyone been there? I'm not expecting to be blown away by the beer, but am looking forward to the experience.

2. Redrover

Redrover Champion (810) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

You will have a great time in CR. The people are friendly, the beaches are awesome, the food is good, and there are some really bad roads… (Get a four wheel drive).
    The last time I was near Lake Arenal, the Volcano was not open. I’m looking forward to your review! Note there are some German influenced communities on near where you are staying, you may want to check out their restaurants and markets.
    As far as the Costa Rica Regulars, I prefer Pilsen over Imperial. Be on the lookout for the Bavarian brand beers, not as common but really the best the CR Macros.

3. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Advocate (530) Florida Nov 16, 2005

Bavaria negra otherwise you can get some German or Dutch brews at the local "Walmart"

4. Just back from CR last night. Survived the roads to Monteverde, and had a great time. I, like you, preferred the Pilsen vs. Imperial, and found a few places with Bavaria in Arenal and Monteverde, thought the Dark was alright.

Anyway, if you ever go back, I highly recommend checking out Volcano Brewing Company. Its a small place, about 10 minutes from Tilaran on the road to La Fortuna. They had 2 house-made beers - a pale ale and a 'dark ale', which was basically an irish red. The pale was decent, an the fact that the place was all-inclusive made it easy to really enjoy. They had a couple other local craft beers from Costa Rica Craft Brewery, a golden ale and a red, neither of which were good.

Service and food were great, and the place was surprisingly uncrowded. My girlfriend and I spent Thursday evening bellied up to the bar chatting w/ the staff, and there were only a half dozen other folks around. I don't know if I'd spend more than 1 night there, as there isn't much to do in the area, unless you like windsurfing.

5. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

bump.

sisters in Costa Rica, plans on picking me up an assortment.
    so this is one to look out for?

[​IMG]

6. cambabeer

cambabeer Advocate (520) Florida Dec 29, 2010 Subscriber

listen, I hate to spoil your dreams, but CR is not a great beer spot. I've been lots of times, and yeah, bavaria dark will get the job done, but it's not great.

7. Guzzi

Guzzi Aficionado (195) Iowa Nov 19, 2011 Verified

I will throw my 2 colones in, I agree Pilsen is better than Imperial and Bavaria Dark is pretty good. I didn't find anything else that was good. I did find Rock Limon which was horrible, tons of salt and lime. I hope to go back some day and will have to make it to Volcano Brewery.

danoeltico likes this.
  8. Rock Ice Limon was probably my first ever drain pour!