1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 21, 2013.

1. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

Past weekend, my wife and I were at Costco doing our bi-weekly drop of a couple hundred dollars. I swing by the beer aisle and boom...

...there is a section at the end of boxes of bombers...

Allagash Curieux (Bourbon Barrel-Ages Tripel)
    Stone IRS Espresso
    Stone Old Guardian
    FireStone Wookey Jack
    FireStone Double Jack
    North Coast Brother Theolonious
    Ballast Point Victory at Sea

All were a $1 or $2 less than BevMo and other stores. My wife found me drooling while filling up the cart...

Does Costco in your area sell bombers? I hope this is a trend...
  2. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

nope
    azorie, Kyrojack and whiskey like this.
  3. 1fJef

1fJef Aficionado (175) Maryland May 4, 2013

No the local Beer store mafioso owners wont allow it
    pinnser likes this.
  4. Can I trade you Costco's ;)?
  5. zestd

zestd Savant (345) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Ours has liquor and craft cases (mostly Deschutes and Pyramid :blech:) but certainly not bombers.
  6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

Let's see. Does your's carry Tillemook Sharp Chedder? It appears that our's has stopped carrying it...:D

Quick answer: Hell no!
    ERRL710 likes this.
  7. I can't go into Costco.... My vons has an okay craft section which is pretty cheap compared to bevmo
  8. No, but they do have cases of 2 week old Stone IPA for $29.99
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Mine (Clearwater, FL) had 750s of Chimay Blue for $9.99 for a few months, maybe 6-9 months ago or so. Total Wine a couple of miles away had them at the same price, plus there was always a coupon at TW for $1 off bombers (up to 12 of them). So, I never bought any Chimay Blue at Costco. Of course, now, they're $11.99 for the Blue at TW. Everything there has gone up $1-4 a bottle in the past year. :mad:

Ours did sell Magic Hat #9 cases around that same time... but I have yet to see any other nice offerings.
  10. Bubbalito

Bubbalito Savant (435) Virginia Jan 2, 2012

Oh, you crazy Californians!!! No bombers in VA. Got an Ommegang gift pack once, they had the 24 pack of the SA Hopology, and 24 pack SA seasonals. Nothing great, but usually a good price for what they have!
  11. Well sure, they can sell it after it's practically expired. ;)
    slym, kemoarps and hoppytobehere like this.
  12. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Don't recall bombers, but coincidentally I loaded up on these cases from Costco TODAY:

[​IMG]

They were $24/case IIRC, and expiration of nearly one year out.
  13. Does anyone know if Montgomeryville Pa Costco sells any beer
  14. Hmmm Sounds like we shop at the same Costco on Coleman in SJ?
    It was your comment on the Tillemook Sharp Chedder that gave it away LOL

Same Costco also had Lagunitas IPA 24packs and Stone Variety 24packs in the corner by the bakery.....And back when FW 16 came out they had it for $14.99 such a great price. Considering some liquor stores in our area gouge on the prices.
  15. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

Negative.

Best thing about my (100 miles away) nearest Costco is that they sell empty wine bottle crates (the cool wooden ones) for $1. Convenient way to store a batch of homebrew.
    RandyV and NHhomebrewguy like this.
  16. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

Hmm. What? Lucky! Mine has mostly wines(lame IMO)...
  17. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the tip.
  18. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Mine sells 750s of Chimay and Duvel, cheap cases of Paulaner, a few random American craft cases and plenty of Tilamook cheese.
    dwagner003, mfnmbvp and yemenmocha like this.
  19. mxchap

mxchap Savant (340) California Aug 30, 2012

Most of them in NorCal (e.g. Concord, San Ramon, Folsom) have been doing this for around 1 year now.
    The selection is getting better over time too IMO
    MrDave likes this.
  20. If it's because you're not a member just tell them you're there to purchase alcohol. Pretty sure member-only shops aren't allowed to prohibit non-members from purchasing their discounted booze. At least that's the case in California - as I understand it.
    cnbrown313 and BeerBum like this.
  21. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (795) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I loved my Costco in Madison when I lived there, cases of New Glarus beer for way less than anywhere else! Not exactly the same story here in Texas.....
    PaulyB83 likes this.
  22. Is that really a good price for Chimay Blue? I can get 330 ml bottles for $3.20 or 750 ml bottles for $9.55 and I live in Canada, where beer is more expensive!
  23. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (495) New York Dec 17, 2010

If I could get fresh cases of stone ipa for 29.99 I doubt I'd be drinking any other ipa for a while
  24. Stugotzo

Chimay Blue is now $19.99/4-pack and $11.99/750.

Glad I bought a bunch over a year ago, before the prices jacked up about 20%
  25. rt1976

rt1976 Aficionado (180) Indiana Apr 29, 2009

I noticed Sams Club in Indy is now selling six packs of Upland.... But they were about the same price as the liquor stores
  26. Where is your Costco? It sure isnt in Washington since we can't get some of the greats here anymore, I have to go out of state for Allagash :( We just have a ton of liquor at ours.....
  27. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

This is correct, all you have to say before you walk in is that you're gonna buy just alcohol and they'll let you right in...I did it all the time before I got a membership...
  28. piss off...courtesy of the state of Pennsylvania
  29. Same selection here, but curieux for 16.99, best deal they had I normally see it for 21.99
  30. Also double jack was three months old though
  31. brywhite

brywhite Savant (405) California Aug 27, 2009

I have a few Costcos nearby. One sells a lot of craft beer and the others do not. The "craft beer" Costco in Santa Clara, CA has had such delights as Sucaba and Rasputin XV. I have noticed that some FW Double Jack and Wookey Jack didn't have the bottles dated so the stuff Costco is selling may pre-date FW's bottle dating program. I certainly hope not. Since Costco isn't refrigerating the craft brews, when buying there, I generally opt for the Belgians, Stouts and Barleywines as opposed to the BP Sculpin and other room temp/no bottle date IPAs.
  32. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

And you only have to buy 100 bottles before you break even on the membership fees. Then it's all gravy.

Seriously though. Prices are good there but freshness is frequently an issue. It takes a LONG time to sell through a palate of craft beer.
  33. No, but I wish they did.
  34. Stugotzo

I have the Executive membership. It's $100 a year, and I get 2% of my purchases as cash back. At the end of the year, they send a check. If it's less than the $100 membership fee, they refund the difference. In other words, my membership is free.

Yes, I suck.
    Tconroy likes this.
  35. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (310) California Nov 13, 2012

You can legally purchase alcohol from any Costco without a membership.
  36. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

As stated above, just go to Costco to buy ONLY alcohol and no membership is required...
  37. Was this a Costco in WA? I've heard that they are demo-ing it in certain stores in WA to see if it takes off or not. I've not only seen pictures of it through Reddit, but i've also heard from other employees that are high up that right now they are just in the preliminary phase of that endeavor.
  38. Stugotzo

I have a question and I'm not sure if this has been addressed 50 times yet....

Do you need a Costco membership if you're only purchasing alcohol???
  39. Not in California. You just go up to the greeter at the door and notify them that you'll be purchasing alcohol.
  40. Mine in fresno carries bombers. Belgians, stone, Anderson valley, firestone, lagunitas. All at the lowest prices I've seen. Makes me happy, and the wife not so much.
    Ursushopsius and wavingsnail like this.