1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 21, 2013.

1. I have to square-root which Costcos in the L.A. and OC area have the best selection, beer-wise. For some reason, the Venice location only has Golden Road Point the Way in cases, while the El Segundo location doesn't have anything all that local. Would buy cases of what I really liked (at a discount) if I saw a better selection, but looks likes a dice-roll to find great stuff. I know my buddy (in Laguna Niguel) gets Enjoy By regularly at his...

2. Mine carries a lot of Stone, Brother Thelonious, Mission Shipwreck, but no BP Victory at Sea. I'd love to buy cases of that!

3. I see Stone is getting ready to release their IRS, and I've bought this from Costco before. I'll be on the lookout for this big time, and if anyone else sees it please let me know!

4. sapples

sapples Aficionado (120) Michigan Jan 19, 2006

My local Costco carries a variety of Bells and Arcadia Ales cases for very low prices. Sometimes two hearted is even on sale....It's like getting four six packs for the price of three.

rick_91709 and upsbeernut like this.
  5. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (450) New York Aug 29, 2013

Costco in five towns area of long island ny, only decent beer in years have been stone ipa and ommegang three pack. And I've only seen the stone once.

6. Donco

Donco Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Costco selling alcohol? Wow, what a novel idea....NOT valid in PA...:mad:

Tr0janSlay3r and Evahflow like this.
  7. capnmike

capnmike Savant (275) Illinois Dec 6, 2013

VictorWisc likes this.
  8. Never experienced freshness issues at Costco. The turnover is quite high. Maybe they are trying to sell too much in California, but not a concern in other parts.

This does remind me of a couple of wine distributors trying to knock down Costco for leaving their wines to sun/elements exposure. Having talked to a few Costco buyers and liquor managers, that seems to be not true.

Doesn't mean that there won't be occasional flubs. But I find those even at the best stores.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

San Francisco location?

10. One Costco nearby has crappy craft selection, the other one nearby has a pretty good selection, lots of stone, lagunitas, north coast, ommegang, anderson valley, firestone walker etc. As mentioned before though, a lot of the beers collect dust. I definitely stay away from hoppy beers there.

upsbeernut likes this.
  11. Always check if it's something you'd consider buying. They are often mixed from different bathes and assumptions like that are often self-fulfilling. The less you buy because you think the dates are off, the more off the dates will be.

12. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Savant (310) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2014

Just saw a New Belgium, 6-pack, variety sell a couple of weeks back at our local Costco while standing in the checkout line. I would have went back (missed it), but was already in checkout mode. Hope to find on an upcoming visit.

13. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Chimay Blue 750 in Anchorage for $12. I think there were others but I was hurrying and pretty dialed in on the Chimay.

Modernrickk likes this.
  14. TooGood

TooGood Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 28, 2014

Just went to our closest Costco yesterday. All the beers I looked at we're old...Torpedo cases brewed 9/23/13, New Belgium variety cases brewed 10/11/13, Summit EPA cases brewed 10/5/13. Not worth it buying a case of beer that is almost 6 months old already.

brureview likes this.
  15. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aficionado (245) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

Our Costco has nothing but Heineken, Sam Adams variety pack, Mexican variety, bud light coors light, and yuengling light. Sorrry everyone I can't brag on any specials like stone IPA.

16. HopHead_44

HopHead_44 Disciple (55) New York Feb 24, 2014

Our costco on Long island has a terrible selection.. take your pick of one of inbevs many crappy beers.. thank god for my local Bevy.. long island has seen a few new brands recently Bells being the most exciting...

17. How were the bottle dates?

18. Dizzo

Dizzo Disciple (50) Michigan Mar 1, 2014

I picked up a case of Bell's Two Hearted for $32 at my local Costco. Ended up being around 20% off normal price since the large grocery store chains had six packs for $9.99.

19. been awhile since hitting this thread, it's been kinda slow as far as new & exciting craft @ the locations i've been in... Grapefruit Slam is still all over a few floors:eek:. anyhoo, yesterday saw a few things, took a pic of a couple.
    Stone RIS 2014:

[​IMG]

and then St. B 1.5L bottles $29.99. i typically buy a bottle or two of the regular or Xmas St. B when seasonally released. not the least familiar with the bigger bottle nor really how much i'd consider "aging". the ones at Costco appear to be 2012 bottles. curious is $29.99 a good deal on these or are they a: "RUN FOREST; RUN!!":

[​IMG]

cnbrown313 likes this.
  20. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

If that's just plain old Abt 12, I'd say Run Highbrow Run!!!

You can get a 4 pack of 330s (1.33L total) for $18. So, 1.5L of Abt 12 would be in the $20 range in a perfect world. Of course, you'll always pay more for bigger bottles. The 750s of Abt 12 go for about $12 here, same as the Christmas Ale when it's out. So, double the 750 should still be in the $24 ballpark. I'd pass.

21. this was what i figured... the .750 @ Costco of both Abt 12 & Xmas were $9.99. wasn't sure if these were something special from 2012 or what. thanks.

22. Radome

Radome Advocate (505) California May 24, 2009

Apparently there is something different about the Costcos in San Antonio versus what many of you are reporting. I've tried two locations in San Antonio and found nothing but cases of BMC. Not even a Sam Adams or New Belgium in sight. When I queried one employee and had to explain what I meant by "craft beer" she brightened up and proudly showed me a tiny display near the door with their non-standard beers. They literally had less than half-a-dozen types on this rack as token local or regional beer varieties. There was an Imperial Porter in bombers from Karbach that was worth buying, but nothing else.

I'm very jealous of what you folks in California and other places can get from Costco.

23. beerwolf72

beerwolf72 Savant (345) Ohio Aug 12, 2006

Three Floyd's man-o-awe at our costco last week. They have stepped up their game, but prices the same as anywhere else.

24. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (245) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

My Costco in Tucson had Stone variety bomber 4 pack. Pretty cool so I'll be definitely checking back.

25. We've been getting very little. Aside from the usual assortment of BMC, Sam Adams and Harpoon, we got only two items--the Sierra Nevada mixed IPA case and a Stone 4-pack of bombers for $19.99. The SN case costs the same as Sam Adams case (already summer seasonals--spring is gone!).

26. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (260) California Feb 14, 2011

Why can't you go into Costco? Just so you know if you can't go in because you don't have a membership you can still enter Costco to buy beer without a membership. It's a California law.

koakley likes this.
  27. Cozuma

Cozuma Aficionado (135) Indiana Feb 19, 2014

found a pretty sweet pack of Ommegang a few years back, 3 750 ml bottles of I forget what plus a gold rimmed Ommegang glass for $10, we bought four and sent them to friends and family.

28. Acropora

Acropora Savant (310) California Oct 15, 2013

Which costco is this at?

29. The Costco in Potomac Mills (Woodbridge, VA, kinda) had the mixed case of Sierra Nevada IPAs (black, white, Torpedo, and session) for $28.99 today. Into the cart!

30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'd be leery of hoppy beer at these superstores, as well at Total Wine. No date pass unless it's an age worthy style. I routinely see 8 month old IPA's at TW which is why I don't buy them, I do buy their wine though.

31. Costco in my city in Australia has the best selection. Heineken, Stella, Asahi, Tiger, Coors, Blue Moon, Singha, Guinness, some no brand stuff and Little Creatures. Yep - don't buy beer from there.

32. I live in Tahoe and shop at Reno Costco. Yes, their selection is off the hook: Chimay, Duvel, The Bruery, Allagash, Stone, Brooklyn, Firestone/Walker, Lips of Faith, Ballast and Ommegang and seasonal others. Be aware of the brew dates on the IPA's because I've had a few bad bottles of Sculpin and Double Jack. The price is right though.

33. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (370) Texas Jan 25, 2012

I spotted a case of Odell 90 Shilling for around $34.00 at the Costco in NW Austin yesterday. They also had SNPA, Samuel Adams spring variety, Shiner Family Reunion, BMC, a Mexican import sampler case and a Best of Ireland (or something like that) sampler too.

34. FYI Costco in Scotland is garbage for craft beer.

35. Has anyone been to the Costco in New Rochelle, NY? Good craft there??

36. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

My local Costco only has New Belgium sampler, Sierra Nevada IPA sampler, Magic Hat Sampler, and the Stone 4-pack. Prices were decent but I probably won't buy any of them. Maybe the Stone 4-pack if I'm having a party or something.

37. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 11, 2012

CostCo in SA now carries bombers of: Wookey Jack, Double Jack, Endevour, Negra Hopodillo, NC Bro T plus many others.

38. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

In case it hasn't yet been posted, membership isn't needed to buy alcohol

Ursushopsius likes this.
  39. Anyone know how the selection at the Everett ma Costco compares?

40. Costco in Milton Keynes is 2nd to suck in their beer selection. No US or UK craft beer :(.