1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 21, 2013.

1. isn't this just a Miami thing?

#crocketttubbs

302BeerGuy and Murphious like this.
  2. definitely from Illinois. so it is understandable ;)

3. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Any price ending in .97 at Costco indicates that it has been marked down to clear out. The asterisk in the top right corner also means it will not be ordered again (the asterisk can also be used on prices that haven't been reduced, however). In this case, it's both reduced and won't be ordered again.

Simplykind likes this.
  4. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (610) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

The Bend location (and I assume at least a few others in the NW region) has featured an additional 20 or so SKUs dedicated to craft 22s for the last couple of months. Elysian, Stone, Lagunitas, Cascade Lakes, Pike, etc. Even a 3 year vertical of Widmer's Brrrbon for less than $6 a bottle.

5. slym

slym Savant (425) North Carolina Jun 27, 2014

Looks like mine only has Kirkland Signature beer... this one, to be precise:

[​IMG]

o_O

6. lehueve

lehueve Savant (270) Mexico Jul 16, 2013

Any Costco in San Diego Area with good selection?

7. beeragent

beeragent Advocate (515) Texas Aug 16, 2005

The one I use does not, but I have been told other San Antonio area Costco's do. I hope this will catch on to all of them eventually.

8. Donco

Donco Savant (465) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

ANOTHER reason to hate PA: No alcohol in Costco/Trader Joes, etc.:(

9. Our Costcos in the DFW area are getting a better selection. Right now the closest store has boxes of Mirror Mirror at a great price that nobody seems to want. I keep buying more bottles every time I go.

sharpski and tkdchampxi like this.
  10. riverlen

riverlen Savant (290) Illinois Sep 16, 2009

I've never been to a Costco but I imagine they sell alcohol here, Illinois is pretty easy on retail sales. My main store is Binny's, they have a selection that goes on and on.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  11. riverlen

riverlen Savant (290) Illinois Sep 16, 2009

Is it good?

12. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (200) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

Recently my nearest Costco has upped their inventory. Last time I went they had SNPA 24pk for about $21 and Enjoy By for $4.99. Being in St. Louis I can't really beat that.

13. Grodd87

Grodd87 Savant (285) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2014

Love costco but do to sell beer in pa sucks so bad at least I get a good deal on my workout supplements.

14. Temecula costco has sculpin 22s for 5.99 right now. Cheapest I've ever seen it.

15. slym

slym Savant (425) North Carolina Jun 27, 2014

If I ever buy any, I will let you know.

;)

16. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

To continue your education, it is played in a fronton. Pronounced just like it is spelled.

17. moshea

moshea Advocate (540) Michigan Jul 16, 2007

Dang, no cheap costco or trader joe's beers?

If I am ever frustrated with Michigan alcholo laws, I am always happy they are not as bad as PA's

302BeerGuy likes this.
  18. Donco

Donco Savant (465) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Having grown up in Detroit and returning regularly to visit family, I will take MI over PA any day!!

19. Drogon

Drogon Aficionado (105) Texas Jul 15, 2014

Each Costco has a totally different selection of beer, I know San Antonio is terrible, and has no Belgian ales from Europe or America, basically just the run of the mill stuff like at any grocery store or worse. HEB has a better selection! But Austin has a really good selection of several craft beers from around the world. They said there corperate office decides which store gets what and even the manager can't change it! That really is bad for the customers and the store!

20. Was lucky enough to pick up a fresh batch of a case of Lagunitas at mine!

21. they have this at my local costco in Alhambra , California .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. zestd

zestd Savant (345) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Mine still has about a half pallet of Rodenbach Grand Cru that came in right before Christmas last year.

Mighty_Joey likes this.
  23. 302BeerGuy

302BeerGuy Savant (375) Delaware Jun 11, 2014

I live in Delaware. Between DE, PA, MD, and NJ don't even get me started! I'm still used to "normal States" where you can get beer at the grocery store or 7-11!!!

24. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (610) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Actually, each regional office has a buyer for beer and wine who makes those decisions. Sales history plays a big part, but member comments are tracked and responded to. You'd be surprised what you and some of your friends can do at the suggestion box to expand categories like craft beer selection.

25. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Aficionado (120) Illinois Aug 26, 2014

Last time I went to Costco by me the had variety packs from magic hat and two brothers.

26. Cases of week old Stone IPA in Norcal for $27. I know...its not fresh enough ;)

27. Kylo76

Kylo76 Savant (265) Arizona Aug 29, 2014

No it is not good

28. itracy63

itracy63 Savant (425) Alaska Apr 20, 2013

Scored a Beer Camp case at Costco today, definitely didn't expect to see that there!

29. Last year I was getting 3 packs off Ommegang for $9.97 each. Picked up 10 of them

30. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (370) Texas Jan 25, 2012

They finally put a decent little bomber section in the NW Austin Costco a few months back. The prices are excellent compared to HEB or Specs. The HEB by my house actually has a really decent selection though, far larger than the selection at Costco.

31. Drogon

Drogon Aficionado (105) Texas Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for the advice, I asked the liquor Dept. Manager and he just gave me lame answer. "We can't order what we want to" I asked if we can make suggestions and he said no! How lame can you get. I go to the Austin South store right next to Whole Foods which also has a great selection, and the have all the popular large Corked Belgian bottles. So what's the point of complianing when I can just get it at another store which is closer anyway. But think about what you said. Sales plays a big part. If they don't even offer any Belgian Ales how can they judge sales in that store? Nothing they sell now even comes close to those. They don't even sell Sierra Nevada.

32. Costco locations on Orange County now have valiant brewing bombers. Reasonably priced from what I saw posted. Also, I saw on my iPads add placements those golden road IPA mix packs, def going to have to send some of those to my accounts. Wolf among weeds and heal the bay are the bees knees

33. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (460) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

Hasn't been great recently, neither in terms of price nor selection. Wines are doing pretty well, though.

34. ssam

ssam Savant (315) California Dec 2, 2008

I don't think its half bad. I recently shared 2 cases of the variety pack of kirkland's signature beers for an inexpensive and beer filled source of bottles to reuse for homebrewing. In the pack was this amber, pale ale, ipa, pilsner, and maybe a stout I didn't try. The amber was definitely the best of the group. The pilsner sucked, the ipa was not good, and the pale ale was meh. The amber was fine. Not top shelf, but definitely drinkable. Not saying go get a case, but if you're at a party and the choice is this or BMC, I think you'd be presently surprised.

Nice, sturdy bottles with easily removable labels. Good for homebrew recycles.

Donkster46 likes this.
  35. kleinstadt

kleinstadt Zealot (95) Illinois Apr 10, 2007

My usual Costco in Chicago (on Clyborn) has a bomber section where I can usually get Tripel Karmeleit, Green Flash Imperial IPA, and locals like Revolution Double Hero or Cout de E'tat.

They'll have cases of Fat Tire in cans or a New Belgium mixed pack (12 Fat Tire, 6 Ranger, 6 Helles) intermittently. Stone IPA cases (never looked at the born-on-date), mixed of Magic Hat intermittently as well. Reliably SN Celebration around Christmas. Two years ago around Lent Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock was my friend, for (I think) $24, but not seen since.

But, when I was in Grand Rapids, MI this last weekend, I noticed there was a Costco right down the street from the hotel. I decided to stop in, as the Costcos in the midwest tend to stock local beers.

They had a case of Two Hearted for $36 (sold). They had a selection of 8-10 bombers that I can't remember, because I was blown away by the price of Boon Framboise, $10 for a 0.75.

That's such a good price I'm inclined to believe it's a bad batch or really old or something. Regardless, I bought three.

MiWolfman likes this.
  36. Catracho5

Catracho5 Advocate (560) California Aug 10, 2013

This past week I saw Ballast Point Sculpin 22 oz. bottles for $5.49, Saint Archer IPA 22 oz. bottles $2.99, and a few others for really low prices. I picked up 5 bottles of Sculpin and one Saint Archer but I would love to see Costco's prices on six-pack but not likely to happen.

37. bluehende

bluehende Champion (845) Delaware Dec 10, 2010

In delaware I am pretty sure it is Saranac. Not a bad beer at all. I bought it for 18 dollars instead of buying a 12 dollar case of empty bottles for homebrewing. An outstanding 6 dollar case of beer.

38. benbking

benbking Savant (295) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

I joined Costco basically to check out the beer selection, oh and buy baby things in bulk. Will report on what is available in Danvers MA soon.

39. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Have not had time to read through the thread.....my local costco sucks for beer (Algonquin). Are there any around Chicagoland that are worth checking out? I work near the one at I-94/Rt 60 (lake forest?).