1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 21, 2013.

1. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

I went tonight to check, they only have Firestone double jack and wookey jack :(
  2. Definitely no luck here in Pennsylvania. Our Costcos here sell no beer or wine in any form. :mad:
  3. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Some Pizza Port and Ballast Point bombers occasionally. Hit or miss.
  4. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Just wish I had a Costco near by... It would have to be in MO, KS or Arkansas, as our dumb ass laws only all liqour stores to sell beer/booze (other than watered down shite)
  5. channels321

channels321 Savant (265) Texas Apr 16, 2012

Sadly no, but we do sell through a hell of a lot of 'cervesas mexicanas' (Mexican beer mix pack). Damn living in San Antonio.
  6. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

I live near 2.Costco Woodland has very little selection,but this is easier for me to get to.But Costco at Cal Expo has actually expanded the area where they sell beer.Now of course a lot of it was BCM Corona Stella etc They had a good selection of others.Knee Deep Simtra was something like 899 or 999 IIRC but they were out.Some of the Stone gift packs were still there although I did but some OG since I haden't tried it.Both my Costco's seem to always have Lagunitas IPA cases for a very good price,maybe21.99 or 22.99.It's just the (regular) IPA doesn't grab me.
  7. What Cali costco?
  8. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

Duuude, EFF yeah!
    yemenmocha likes this.
  9. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

You should see the Costco down in gilroy.

on second thought, no you shouldn't.
  10. Ya they carry bombers in San Diego.
  11. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

it sounds good but i don't think that's quite the correct way to look at it. you're membership is not free - you spent several grand in order to earn enough "cash back" credits so that you earn a check that covers your membership fee.

from the original post i've seen everything listed except Victory at Sea @ local Costcos plus quite a few others.during fall there were commonly 10+ Belgian seasonal release .750s as well - one location had the nerve to have a floor stack of The Abyss ($10.99).
  12. The nearest Costco in CT had nothing but macros and house brand beer last time I checked about a month or two ago. Same thing for the time before that. But I can always hope.
  13. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

If they did in Maryland I still would not go there for beer. I feel better buying from an Independent bottle shop. Thats just me
    joedodger likes this.
  14. That is also true in MI due to state law. Anyone live in a state where this is not true?
  15. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Well not exactly. I could purchase $300 worth of stuff all year at Costco, and earn "cash back" of $6. They would still give me cash back of an additional $94 to make the total $100, the "cost" of the membership. I don't know if I'm special, and my membership file is "tagged" or what. I originally signed up for the executive membership when I purchased my home in 2005 and I was buying a washer/dryer set at $2K. The cashier asked if I was an executive member, explained the rules, and I signed up right there. The following year and every year since, my "cash back" was less than $100. The cashier (The first time it happened) told me to go to the customer service desk and they'd give me cash for the difference.... and it's been like that every year since.

Costco Executive Membership

I don't know if you're picking nits, but I can see that yes, I'm giving them $100 at the beginning of my membership year, but don't get my $100 (or more) back until the end of the membership yearly term. So, yes I'm losing the time value of money... in this case, ~ $3.;)
  16. ninner00

ninner00 Savant (280) Ohio Mar 5, 2010

The Costco in Strongsville Ohio has bombers of Hoppin Frog BORIS for 8.99 and some others. Stone IPA and Bastard for 6.49. Cases of Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for 26.99. And they get some seasonal stuff too.
  17. Boonedog

Boonedog Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

Yep. And use the Pharmacy.
    They do not advertise that fact
  18. Boonedog

Boonedog Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

Right now our costco has Lagunitas IPA cases.
  19. jcambier

jcambier Disciple (70) Virginia Jan 5, 2008

none of that in my area of MD, DC, and VA.
  20. I was in Costco yesterday and there wasn't anything I would buy, the only craft was Sam Adams (if you even consider that craft) and some mixed case that included some mediocre beers from Widmer, Red Hook, Kona and maybe another brewery.
  21. abaculy

abaculy Aficionado (245) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

Ours has bombers of Southern Tier Unearthly, Unibroue La Fin du Monde, Right Brain Dead Kettle, Epic Brainless something (their Belgian golden ale and I think another), as well as some others. The first bombers they has were Chimay Blue for about $10. I think they curretly have Duvel in 3-packs for around $26. As far as craft in cases, they have a few. The Kirkland Signature beer is just alright, although I'm hoping to find that the Hefeweizen is good. Both Costcos and Sam's Clubs in my area sell Founders Centennial IPA in cases (although it is SLIGHTLY cheaper at the brewery, @ $36 OUT THE DOOR). I think Sam's has Arcadia SKy High Rye cases.
  22. My local costco used to have dfh 60min, sn pale ale, SA lager and seasonal mixed pack, Harpoon IPA, Kirkland mixed packs (brewed on the east coast, not from Gordon biersch) and then a couple years ago started selling Chimay, Foret, Double Simcoe and few other 750's and occassional Ommegang and Duvel gift packs. Except for Foret at $7 the prices on the rest of the 750's weren't much better than a local beer store and from what I was told, didn't sell that well. Now they are down to just the Kirkland mixed packs, Sam Adams lager and seasonal mixed packs, and Harpoon I believe. I hardly even walk into the liquor cage anymore unless I'm buying some wine for cooking.
  23. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I've seen a Chimay Ale and the Sprecher winter bombers at our Costco on the eastside of Madison. They must be regional in offerings, as we get mostly local beers, plus some foreign ones.
  24. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (310) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

Actually picking up a couple of cases of this today for the Champions league game this weekend
    Have some Bayern and Dortmund fans coming over which are family members should be intresting
    yemenmocha likes this.
  25. Was at the Long Beach, CA Costco yesterday. Swung by the beer aisle not expecting anything and stumbled on bombers of Racer 5 ($3.69), Coronado Islander ($3.99) & Alesmith IPA ($4.79)...score!
  26. Just be careful with the hoppy stuff, the Costco by my place has Simtra and Double Jack from 2012 still stacked high but you cant beat the prices.
  27. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (540) California Jan 23, 2013

Dear Costco of Concord, CA:

You've been doing great with your craft beer bomber island and it's much appreciated. I didn't even get that upset with my expired Sculpin that I bought from you. Hell, the price was right. Anyhow, this fall, please order 100+ cases of The Abyss from Deschutes.

Thank You,
    Bay Area BAs
    olfolxholme, smitty5245 and bladerR like this.
  28. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Savant (250) Pennsylvania Jan 12, 2011

It does not.
  29. Mersh

Mersh Advocate (540) Connecticut Mar 10, 2013

Will never happen in Southwestern CT.
  30. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

Chicago Costco has 2 Brothers and Goose Island regulars. You win.
  31. MrDave

Jesus Tapdancing Christ!! When/where?
    jdmandel likes this.
  32. Highbrow

the San Ramon... or is that considered "Danville"?? - location in Northern California.
  33. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

My Costco really only sells Sierra Nevada Pale Ale by the case.
  34. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

only thing our costco sells are 24 packs (cant buy just a 12pack either). Corona, Heineken, Bud, Sam Adams, thats it! And they usually have them at cost or 10% below which is allowed on one item a month in CT.
  35. Highbrow

not nit picking. check this out:

maybe they're making a mistake with your membership - in which case i'd probably turn off the mic now & quit defending this. based on the above finance quote you can understand why what you are saying makes no sense - that along with the millions of dumb asses that stick with regular cards when they could opt for Executive status & get their entire membership fees reimbursed yearly - no matter if they only bought 2 hot dogs throughout the year.
  36. MrDave

Nice. This last year?
  37. rhertan

rhertan Aficionado (215) California Jan 22, 2008

This weeked the Costco in San Luis Obispo had Parabola for 10.99/bottle. Also had the Wookey and Double but they were a few months old so I passed on those, but had to snag some more Parabola at that price. I heard they were also at the Santa Barbara costco.
  38. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

That's what I said earlier, the are probably just doing this for me (and maybe a few other "select" members).

I usually drop $300-400 a month at Costco for groceries, meats, flowers for LOML, etc. So, the difference between my check and $100 is very little (and sometimes it's already over $100 anyway). ;)
    Highbrow likes this.
  39. Highbrow

you might be joking but you're on the right track. stores have individual buyers. obviously the store in San Ramon had a buyer that either knows his/her shit about beers or had enough people inquire about product to influence them to seek the Abyss. knowing how it works, the likely scenario goes like this - the buyer says i'll take 500 cases of Red Chair or Chain Breaker or some other standard shit & then negotiates in exchange for that large take, when Abyss drops i want that on my floor. (in my best impersonation of that guy from the show In Living Color's voice) BAMMMM!!

knowing this, it def. does not hurt to get to know the individuals who can influence what comes to your favorite location. that alone is likely the only way you'd know for sure a location is expected to get X product... the alternative is either stumbling in the store at the right moment or coming on BA & finding out a day late somebody snapped photos of a truck load of limited edition product - only to discover 24 hrs later there's nothing but dust, splinters & bent nails left from what originally was a pallet or two of highly sought after product.
  40. Highbrow

maybe but i still think you might be mistaken. what i think you are mixing up is the standard member fee is $55. the Exec is $100. the difference between the two is $45. if you earn back a check for $44 or less they are reimbursing you the difference of the amount you fell short of $45 - not the amount you fell short of the total $100. they get their $55 membership fee no matter what - the Wall St. Journal don't lie. on the off chance i'm right - you should probably pay stricter attention this time around.

& if i were a nitpicker :cool: - i'd probably have pointed out the slight contradiction your last post contained.