1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 21, 2013.

1. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

2. teraflx

teraflx Savant (395) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

Wow mine has nothing like that.
  3. Boonedog

Boonedog Aficionado (230) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

I would rather buy from Costco than anyplace else given a chance. They pay and treat their employees well. Even the part time employees are guaranteed 24 hours a week. EVEN part time employees are given quality, affordable health insurance.
    Wal-Mart......
  4. In Minnesota at least:
    Yes on the Tillemook Sharp Cheddar.
    No on the bombers.
  5. Highbrow

correct. in my earlier days, as a youth counselor, i actually helped a few inner city kids coming upon adulthood, gain employment through Costco. some of those kids they took a chance on... i will always remember the deed that was done. i was simply pointing out how illogical it is that they auto reimburse the full value of their membership fees. those salaries & benefits you speak of are reliant upon membership fee collection.
  6. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

Are you serious?
    DAMMIT!
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (315) California Mar 19, 2012

Actually, I was at the Costco in Mountain View...
  8. Highbrow

i think it was the Santa Maria costco to be exact that we heard had Parabola immediately at that price. no surprise on the Wookey J - the store here must have had 100 cases, i avoided those. although i must say, because i was repeatedly hitting their Stone Espresso Imperial Stout bottles hard ($4.99 ea), i did notice the Wookey Jack stack flew downward in a 10 day period & was pretty much depleted in 2 weeks.
  9. Went today hoping for bombers... was heartbroken only sam adams and new belgium cases... So went to the local bottle shop to brighten up my day!
  10. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

BOXES of bombers? Dammit, Costco.
  11. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

About 6 months ago I started noticing several Bay Area Costco's carrying a really nice selection of large format bottles. Like others, I tend to only buy beers that would age well at room temperature. But, either way, it's really cool to see it at Costco.

The Novato location is the one I go to most often, they have had Rodenbach 2010, Espresso IRS, Fuller's Vintage Ale, BP Victory at Sea, Wookey Jack, etc, etc.

They also tend to have cases of seasonal SN and Deschutes beers, mixed cases from FW, etc, but that has been the case for quite some time. The large bottles are what's new. And awesome.
  12. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

Yes, it is up to the buyer, preferences for individual stores and what the distributor is willing to sell them. Often, highly allocated items will not be available. If the distributor has enough stock available of certain craft items (i.e. not counting the 24LS cases such as Lag IPA that was created for Costco), then they will sell to Costco at the same price as everyone else (per California ABC law). Since typically works on 8-11% margin (or something similar), the consumer gets a great price on theses craft items. Stock available while it lasts, so seize the opportunity.
  13. How Southwestern do you need to be? There is a liquor store at the Costco in Brookfield. I've never been in so I can't comment on the selection, but it looks like it is a pretty good sized space.
  14. heresy22

heresy22 Savant (390) California Apr 9, 2007

The Costco stores in San Diego County vary widely. I was in the Santee store last night: Ballast Point bomber variety pack, Sam Adams variety pack, and cases of Stone Pale Ale, IPA, and Paulaner Hefe. In the past, that store has had Stone bomber variety packs, 500 ml singles of a gluten-free beer, and Green Flash bomber singles. Other locations almost always have the Stone bomber variety pack. Some stores had Vertical Epic singles.
  15. Which location is that?
  16. Northern Nevada Costcos be sellin 8 month old Sculpin.

I've already had to tell 2 different BA's that no, Sculpin doesn't suck/hasn't changed, you just suck at understanding the difference between "born on" and "best before" on the label.
    purecarver likes this.
  17. I've seen Widmer and Ninkasi bombers in Seattle area Costcos over the last three or four years, but that's it.
  18. Mersh

Mersh Advocate (535) Connecticut Mar 10, 2013

I'm in Norwalk and the Costco here has nothing like that. CT seems to be crappy with a lot of its liquor stores in my opinion. Would love to see great brews at Costco, my wallet wouldn't. Lol.
  19. TCMike

TCMike Aficionado (240) Minnesota Sep 30, 2010

No bombers, and the best stuff they have is Sam Adams :(
  20. danmcg62

danmcg62 Savant (400) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2006

Mine used to, but they don't anymore. However, I was there over the weekend and noticed they had cases of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA so, there's that.
  21. BeastLU

BeastLU Savant (485) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I hope they continue to step up their craft game. They know how to make money selling alcohol, they are the biggest wine sellers in the US.
  22. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (505) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Buyers purchase for one department to stock all stores in a region, rather than an individual Buyer for each store buying everything. Those Buyers can definitely target individual locations for specific SKU's, but it's the same Buyer for San Ramon's beer/wine as it is for all of Northern California. Since the Bay Area office is in Livermore, maybe the Buyer uses San Ramon as his guinea pig store?
  23. JDD419

JDD419 Savant (370) Ohio Apr 14, 2013

The Costco in Toledo doesn't have anything like what is being described. It has (3) bombers of Duvel, sampler of Great Lakes, BMC, SNPA, and Yuengling.
  24. My liver is happy that your Costco is 2000 miles away.
  25. We are due for a stocking run on the regular stuff, I will have to check out the liquor store in Brookfield.
  26. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

Close, but the Richmond store is actually the bigger craft buyer (I know). Yes, we often have specific skus going there.
  27. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

Note to self: MUST VISIT RICHMOND AND SAN RAMON COSTCOS MORE OFTEN
  28. Boonedog

Boonedog Aficionado (230) Illinois Apr 10, 2013

Not necessarily true. We have 3 Costco stores pretty close and they have different selections of beers. For instance the closest one to me has an abundance of Polish beers. Obviously to accommodate our local Polish community.
  29. bladerR

bladerR Aspirant (45) California Dec 5, 2012

I was able to pick up a bottle of White Oak at the Concord location but have not seen this at all in Richmond.
  30. Would this be the Signal Hill location?

Salud!
  31. I would assume this also true for Sams Club?

Salud!
  32. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

I was just getting ready to type this myself. I have a Sam's Club right down the street from work. If I don't need a membership I might pop in there on my lunch break.
  33. Yea I'm gonna try the one by my house after work. Let me know how yours goes.

Salud!
  34. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (290) California Nov 13, 2012

It should be the same at sams club too. its illegal to charge a membership fee to purchase alcohol.
  35. You can only buy beer in PA at Beer Distributors, Bars & Restaurants. Giant Eagle grocery stores sells beer, but only because they have a specific area separate from the grocery store that is an individually licensed "Cafe", but you can only purchase 144 oz. per visit (carry out).
  36. BeerBum

BeerBum Aficionado (235) California Nov 13, 2012

Mine has Double Jack, Wookey Jack, and these

[​IMG]
  37. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Hhhhnnnnnggg
    jdmandel and cw577enfield like this.
  38. robconoclast

robconoclast Aficionado (155) Ohio Jun 22, 2012

As well as Chimay, Ommengang, and Dogfish Head. They also have GLBC variety packs now.
  39. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (325) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

Unlikely. I am originally from PA and state law only allows alcohol sales in devoted stores or other stores such as Wegman's if the beer section is walled off from everything else. Few get the permits needed.