1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 21, 2013.

1. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

I answered for him.... the Costco in Heaven. ;)

P.S. I think he mentioned San Ramon or Danville earlier. Eitehr way, it's California.

2. @Highbrow:
    I see some of those same ones at my Lodi, CA store. Do you have an opinion on Thelonious and St Stephanus? I think I'll go there next weekend to round out a home selection.

Not that I'd buy the Kirkland beers, but is the quality on par with Gordon Biersch?

The California Costcos are just getting better and better every time I go in. I've been shocked a few times.

3. Someone mentioned that Kirkland beers on West Coast are Gordon Biersch, so they ought to be "on par". I had the ones that came off FX Matt line and they were OK--above BMC, but not really very far into "craft" category. As for the rest, you should buy one of each (except the 9L bottles) and go back for more of the ones you like. The prices are ridiculously low.

4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Ones here in Scottsdale seem to only have Belgians, and usually the more pedestrian ones.

5. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

My Costco sells SN and Chimay Blue aside from the regular BMC stuff. They did recently start selling one of our local brewery's Pale Ales by the case. I'm so jelly of the California Costco's.

yemenmocha likes this.
  6. Only Stone at the Palm Desert, CA costco and no rare/exciting Stone's either.

7. That Labyrinth stout is AMAZING!

Zimbo and Flashy like this.
  8. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (180) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

I usually only go to Costco for Mont Blanc, Panerai, and the occasional Breitling.

I'll check out the bomber section next time.

9. wish they did that here on long island. id go back to being a member just for that. well that and 5 gallons of mayo. because why not.

dianimal likes this.
  10. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Come to the Tampa area. It's a regular occurrence. Then again, we have a large Cuban population here, and they do pump out some very loud salsa music in the HiFi section.

VictorWisc likes this.
  11. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Well, Vermont *is* landlocked.... ;)

dwagner003, VictorWisc and Stugotzo like this.
  12. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (570) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

sorry aisles. Problem is nearest Costco is and hour and twenty from here.

13. Damnit, there's a Costco set to open up here in New Orleans but, according to this and all the Florida posts, I don't think this one will have many craft options either :(

14. I think Northern California has better selection than Southern California. Here in Orange County it's usually a smaller selection and a lot of Stone offerings. We have Chimay, Fin Du Monde and Brother Thelonious but I'm not as into the Belgian style as others are.

15. Bmadd

Bmadd Initiate (10) Virginia Aug 10, 2013

In my dreams

16. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (550) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Use the comment box to express your interest in better craft options. They get read, and the more it starts popping up on the Buyer's radar, the better. This company treats member feedback pretty seriously in my experience.

17. Spikester

Spikester Savant (450) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

Nothing good or special at my Costco.

DropDead likes this.
  18. end_27

end_27 Savant (465) Illinois Sep 23, 2012

If that's in the NW Burbs of IL, please someone let me know. Cause I'm making a stop after work.

19. end_27

Lucky 13's sir.....is a very tasty brew, and a bomber that good for $5 or less. You can't beat it!

20. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

Wow...............other folks where right...........Florida Costco's are TERRIBLE.

seriously. I've seen better beer selections at gas stations >....>

VictorWisc likes this.
  21. end_27

I had a guy tell me a Dark Lord Day when my buddies and I cracked a Ballast Point "Victory at Sea" (which is very tasty by the way) to not bring that "gas station beer" to DLD. Was just like wow! Not all of us were lucky enough to obtain unicorns when they're released. It's all about meeting good people and sharing tasty brews.

jdobe13 likes this.
  22. [​IMG]

Lodi, CA Costco. The Deschutes and Sierra Nevada are new. Affligem obviously is common but I pick it up every timje.

yemenmocha likes this.
  23. FinchSCF

FinchSCF Savant (270) Michigan Aug 22, 2013

Costco in Grand Rapids, MI off of 28th street has a small section that's had some decent brews. Rodenbach Grand Cru and Southern Tier Iniquity have been my favorite grabs so far, and I recently snagged a 750ml Matilda and a bomber of Epic Brainless Belgian.

24. I didn't know SN did bombers of the Beer Camp beers. Which one is it?

25. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Savant (300) New Jersey Aug 11, 2012

Wayne NJ now has Yards cases (4x6 different 6 packs), Magic hat, Magic hat seasonal, DFH 60 min (seems like always there), and "beers of Oktoberfest" 18 pack of 3 different Oktoberfest, from memory it was Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, can't remember the other.

bkov33 likes this.
  26. Imperial Red Ale. Can't wait to try it, the reviews on this site make it sound incredible. From the looks of a site search, the Fresh Squeezed has some credentials.

27. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (520) California Dec 23, 2010

Do you need a membership to purchase beer at costco?

28. There's a California state law that alcohol can be bought from a club store w/o a membership. This may vary by state.

29. no - you do NOT need a membership to buy alcohol. they aren't overly helpful about the exemption. also note, it's entirely possible the clerk you get isn't aware of the law or exemption. if that happens, stay calm, ask for the front end clerk or supervisor who should know. doubt this applies but may as well cover all bases - i've witnessed more than once non-members go in get a bunch of alcohol & think that means they can get party supplies that accompany (cups plates napkins lighters etc.) - all that *other* stuff requires a paid membership. another tip that i believe is still available but will take up at least 5 minutes of your time - you can apply for a free "one time" entrance that will allow you to shop for members only goods too.

frankd97 and mctizzz like this.
  30. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Why isn't there a craft co . . . er . . . costco in Ithaca. Wow. So much beer. Who cares what the price is.

BurgeoningBrewhead likes this.
  31. Holy crap. OK, so they don't offer Pliny, Heady Topper or Cantillon but its still light years better than what we get here in Costco. I was in the Edinburgh branch only last week and the beer choice was nothing less than embarrassing.

Highbrow likes this.
  32. Jmitchell3

Jmitchell3 Savant (370) Arizona Apr 2, 2013

I've found Kirklan's signature beer to be quite good for the price. I don't prefer all of the brews that come in the variety pack, but for a party with non-"beer snobs" its a great compromise to avoid enriching the BMC establishment :)

33. nothing major, this is about the only (new) stuff this week. first time i've seen GF iterations in Costco up this way:

[​IMG]

Giovannilucano likes this.
  34. Costco's in NYC suck ass, old Sierra Nevada is about all you get.

35. I was surprised to see 750 ml bottles of Chimay Grande Reserve at my local Costco today.

36. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (495) New York Aug 29, 2013

are any of you from new york??? the best beer my local costco ever has is the best of belgium case, one time it had three philosophers on sale but that seemed to be a one time thing, its usually heavy on coors and heiniken.

37. Fresh Squeezed is damn tasty. My local Costco's (Fresno and Visalia) have them, and I should probably go get some soon. I'm not sure if anybody answered your question about St. Stephanus, but I thought it was pretty bland and one-dimensional for a Belgian.

VitisVinifera likes this.
  38. Stopped at the one in Newark/Wilmington today - they just had macros plus Kirkland (Matt), 60 min, Magic Hat, Yards, and Paulaner.

39. FinchSCF

FinchSCF Savant (270) Michigan Aug 22, 2013

Since I just stopped there today I figured I'd relay all of what's at the 28th street Grand Rapids, MI location while its still fresh in my head:

- Rogue Mom hefeweizen and Dead Guy bombers
    -Goose Island Sofie and Matilda 750Ml
    -Chimay Red and Blue
    -Lealaunau Brewing bombers
    - Duvel
    -Southern Tier Iniquity and Unearthly
    -Delerium Nocturnum
    -Ommegang Three Philosophers and Abbey Ale
    -Humdinger Over the Piles
    -right Brain CEO Stout
    -24 packs of SN Torpedo, Magic Hat seasonal, Paulaner Oktoberfest, Bell's Two Hearted and Founders Centennial IPA

There's probably some I missed but that's the bulk of it. Best prices in town for the stuff that's there (ie the goose island bombers for $6).

40. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

In your previous pictures, I was very happy to see Hitachino! While I love the Italian stuff, I also REALLy love Hitachino!