1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco and Craft Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by QuakeAttack, May 21, 2013.

1. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (430) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

Is that not what it retails for? I got mine for $17...

2. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Savant (485) Michigan Jan 31, 2013

$20 straight from the Bruery and also everywhere else I've seen on shelves.

3. kasubot

kasubot Aficionado (105) Maryland Oct 17, 2013

My stupid Costco doesn't even sell alcohol. Stupid Draconian Maryland laws.

4. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

What are the laws like there?

Isn't Total Wine's HQ there or they have a major presence there?

5. kasubot

kasubot Aficionado (105) Maryland Oct 17, 2013

Total wine HQ is in MD but they dont have a major presence. MD laws are pretty bad, but the worst is the county I live in. pretty much add an extra $1.50 - $2.00 to any reasonable price in Montgomery County

6. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (540) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

I don't know specifically about CA's laws, but I know in WA, which has what I believe to be a similar price control regulation, is to have a separate pallet SKU with the discount factored in. Technically, it's available to any retailer, but most smaller retailers don't want a full pallet of a single beer.

RyanMKE likes this.
  7. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Savant (300) New Jersey Aug 11, 2012

New Ommegang 3 pack at Costco today in NJ

[​IMG]

8. Does anyone know if you need a membership to buy beer there in nj?

9. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (520) New York Feb 18, 2009

You do.

You don't need one in neighboring New York, however.

10. Acropora

Acropora Savant (310) California Oct 15, 2013

Great list. Costco Northridge doesn't even come close

11. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (235) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Costco in Des Moines has Celebration for 22.99 a case. I was down with that.

12. Does the Northridge Costco sell 22 oz. or 750 ml bottles?

13. Acropora

Acropora Savant (310) California Oct 15, 2013

Last I checked, there were both. Lots of golden road in cans, tremens in 750, Stone double bastard and sublimely in 22. They also have a port brewing wipe out IPA (not bad) for pretty cheap as well as double jack, and mendocino 30th anni pale ale.

14. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Carlsbad Costco tonight

[​IMG]

15. Saw a bunch of Sam Adams Utopias in the Folsom Costco recently, $150

I grabbed Dust Bowl's Son of Wrath (DIPA) for $6.50 and their Black Blizzard (imperial stout) for $6, both were tasty

16. Yes, but as a non-member, you can only pay with cash or American Express.

17. Jmitchell3

Jmitchell3 Savant (370) Arizona Apr 2, 2013

Phx area has stone bomber 8 packs of all the year-rounds that works out to a little over $4 per bottle.

VictorWisc likes this.
  18. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Savant (300) New Jersey Aug 11, 2012

Forgot to picture, but NJ also had Corsendonk Christmas Ale in a cylinder gift box, assuming it's a 750 for $9.99.

Ommegang 3 pack that I posted was $21.99
    Still had the Paulaner mix 18 packs for $12.49, and Ockoberfest cases for I think 17.99.

Wayne location, I believe the only other "Costco" liquor is Brick. Others have liquor but it's not Costco running them because of NJ's wonderful laws.

bkov33 likes this.
  19. $18.99 at my Costco. First time I have ever seen a better deal in MN than in another state.

20. We had a 3-pack of 750ml Unibroue La Fin Du Monde, Maudite and Trois Pistoles for $19.99. I gotta go see if they have the Enjoy By!

21. Pointed out in the Pacific Forum, not by me, but is the stuff you buy at Costco good for two extra days? Typo Carlsbad!

22. beer_soup

beer_soup Disciple (60) California Dec 21, 2012

I noticed Costco was selling Double Dorado that was well past the enjoy by date. Made me wonder if Ballast Point was using Costco as a way to get rid of their returned/unsold stock.

23. Stugotzo

Haven't seen anything in Clearwater, FL except Chimay Blue for $9.99 / 750ml.

That Ommegang 3-pack is $29.99 at the TWs in the area. :eek:

24. Anyone seen a section of bombers in the Chicago area? I've seen relatively standard cases (SN, Magic Hat, Two Brothers, etc.), the Ommegang pack and the Chimay, but nothing close to some of the bottle lists like they seem to have at other locations? Just want to check if its a city/suburbs issue or a regional thing...

cwehr13 likes this.
  25. cwehr13

cwehr13 Savant (405) Illinois Aug 4, 2011

The Orland Park location has the same selection.

26. I hope you're not serious but if you are, I guess you never worked where somebody makes a product and wants to sell it. Otherwise, you would know that as long as it's legal to do so, you would sell your product to anyone who wants to buy it at the price you want to get for it or another negotiated price.

27. I think it's regional.

28. My local Costco has bottles of Enjoy By for $5.49 as well as Sea Monster for under $6 and the new 32 oz cans of Shipwrecked for somewhere around $6.50. Additionally, cases of Stone IPA that were bottled a week ago are readily available on top of a variety of other cases, including Karl Strauss Fullsuit, a mix-pack of Ballast Point (including Sculpin), and the Sam winter pack.

29. Stugotzo

I just fired off an inquiry to Costco, regarding craft beer sales to Florida Costcos. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

This is what I wrote:

30. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (625) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

Tried to find those last time I was at Costco with my mom, but they didn't have them >.<

31. Stugotzo

Well, I heard back right away. Just a usual "form letter", but hopefully, I'll have a real answer with some substance soon. This is what they wrote back...

swolepeer likes this.
  32. Celebratation Ale. $22.99/case. Dated 10/8. Score!

dcs1548 and jakecattleco like this.
  33. Dead Guy Ale 24 pack for 29.99. A moderately good deal.

34. Norseman

Norseman Advocate (580) Illinois Apr 18, 2013

Bloomingdale Costco has New Belgium bomber boxes. 6 bottles: 2 Rampant, the other 4 are Hop Kitchen styles. Also has SN Celebration at $23.99/case, I will be investing in this soon.

35. sorta surprised not a bunch of new stuff rolled in lately but found it interesting Stone DB cases were hidden under a shelf in waiting rather up & out displayed. when i had a staff person radio the front end for the price ($5.80/btle), on the transmission back the women also stated they have "150" in stock. i assume some must have sold already & they have 150 bottles left as opposed to 150 cases?? :

[​IMG]

this was a first too, not that i'm eager but i don't believe i've seen growlers offered at the locations i frequent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. Stugotzo

How much was the La Trappe Quad?

That Duvel is a fairly good price for 750s, but way more expensive than we're getting the 4-packs of 330s here now. ($10.99 / 4-pack)

37. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

I think Yellow Snow growlers may be available at certain locations sometime in the near future in addition to the dead guy growlers.

38. Yes, maybe its a California thing, because the Mntn Vw Costco carries heaps of craft bombers and 12pks

39. *wishing I could get a Duvel 4 pack @ that price!*

40. Stugotzo

I scored a ton when it was on sale @ $8.99 / 4-pack a little over a months ago. :D