1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Costco

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by theCoder, Feb 20, 2014.

1. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

So I noticed the Costco in Maplewood had a larger looking liquor area. So I swung in (I usually don't go in as I generally only do when I'm in need of harder liquor but still frequent my local bottle shop if possible) for shiggles . They got some niiiiice craft beer bombers there now. Nothing mind-blowing but some very nice offerings. Rogue Chocolate Stout for $5.50, Three Philosophers 750 uh I think it was $8.50 and Fulton Worthy Adversary for $8.50 to name a few. I don't see this replacing my desire to go to my fav bottle shops as I still prefer those over any big shop but in a pinch if I'm there, sure.
  2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (560) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I wish the Costco in West Des Moines carried better craft offerings. Though they do have cases of Stone IPA for $29.99, which is about $1.25/bottle when you break it down. That's a solid deal.
  3. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

You know what you just did, don't you?
  4. BottleCaps80

Math?
    hamham and josephwa like this.
  5. Douggo

You used "IPA" and "solid deal" in your post. Therefore, making this a Saga thread. :D
  6. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

We were hanging out with the beer buyer for Costo at Dark Lord Day last year. He said they were ready to stock alot more craft beer but it was all a matter of shelf/cooler space.
  7. billhelm

billhelm Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

SLP one routinely has Chimay, the latest Stone seasonals (for a buck or two less then local liquor stores)and other locals (lift bridge, etc). They also routinely have 24s of craft other than summit (which they've carried for a while) - usually sierra nevada - got a 24 of celebration ale at xmas time for ~20 bucks. also carry Kona and other craft beer alliance beers. glad to see them expanding into this space as I think it's a good fit for a chunk of their customer base.
  8. BottleCaps80

Haha...touché
  9. theCoder

Enjoying this Rogue Chocolate Stout now I got there today. Man this is a tasty ass beer. I'm glad they're expanding as well, before it was basically Sierra Nevada and Summit only (don't get me wrong I dig those).
  10. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Rogue Chocolate Stout is the bomb, wish our Costco had it. They generally have some kind of summit and that's really it. Don't get me wrong, $25 cases of Saga was awesome, but those are all gone for now.
  11. $25 a case for Saga at Costco is a good deal? Chicago Lake has it for $10.99/12 pack regular price.
    Ish1 likes this.
  12. Douggo

See? Told you it was a Saga thread.
  13. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Yeah, but isn't EVERY thread a Saga thread these days?
  14. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

When it's $14.99 everywhere else in Rochester yes it is
  15. theCoder

I feel out of place, I haven't had a Saga in at least a year. Guess I wil lbe hittin Haskell's on my way home from work tomorrow and picking up a 12 pack.
  16. Have you checked you pulse recently to see if you're still alive?
    theCoder likes this.
  17. Occasionally Blue Max will also have it at that price, also Furious at $8.75/4pk. Might be worth a trip to the So. Metro to stock up.
  18. The last sixer I had of Saga tasted off.
  19. BLASPHEMY!
    SwinginParty likes this.