1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Countdown to Brewvival

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Rymar9, Jan 27, 2013.

1. trevord13

trevord13 Aficionado (145) Virginia Sep 30, 2010

We ended up at Hampton Inn Charleston Airport/Coliseum for $50 a night on priceline. Looks like about 3.5mi from Coast so that will work. I`m strongly considering the fish fry, but my wife will probably want something else since it will be the only night we are in town and somewhat functional.

2. Glad ya found a place. Hope to see you while we're down that way. Cheers

3. Very doubtful. It's a pretty laid back crowd.

4. Aloft is <4 miles and offer shuttles to/from Brewvival, I think it's $99. Still about 7 miles to downtown though.

5. Anything in the vicinity of the north chas coliseum is going to be real short cab ride to brewvival, but a pretty good haul to downtown. You could stay in west Ashley area reasonably, and be much closer to downtown, but further from brewvival. Really though, it would be worth it to suck it up and try to find a somewhat reasonable room downtown. That way, once brewvival is over, You only have to worry about getting back downtown one time. Then you could walk all over the place, to multiple bars and/or restaurants, and then walk back to your hotel. It would be worth the little extra money you might spend to be downtown, and you would probably get back some of the money by paying for less cab rides. Also, February isn't exactly tourist season in Charleston, the rooms downtown should be more affordable this time of year I would think.

6. raverjames

raverjames Savant (490) Virginia Dec 11, 2003

You are kidding, right? North Charleston is not a safe place, and you chose the N Chas Inn? I don't mean to make fun, but I wouldn't stay there.

7. trevord13

trevord13 Aficionado (145) Virginia Sep 30, 2010

Well I`m sticking with the Hampton at the airport for the price. Picked up shuttle passes to get downtown after brewvival for $13. We can cab it back out the 8mi from there. Good times to be had on the cheap

8. I did say pretty, not completely.

FutureCowboy and rbradley like this.
  9. Don't listen to raverjames. Not sure about the North Charleston Inn as a place to stay, but as far as location, its basically the same as saying you are at A-loft since they are literally back to back (OK... there may be a couple trees between the two). The Tanger side of 26 has well over a dozen hotels to pick from all within a half mile of each other. It's also pretty much all businesses also. I don't think I would choose to walk many places, but I would probably feel as comfortable walking in that area as many parts of downtown. But like many places downtown, there are many places in the areas surrounding where you are staying that I wouldn't want to walk through. So overall, I think any of the hotels in the Tanger area are fine, but I would still recommend cabbing it.

kkipple and whitekiboko like this.
  10. Don't be scared what's the worst thing that can happen to a piss drunk guy with a bonnie blue flag on his back o_O

Hahah, in all seriousness don't worry Gary we won't let anything happen to ya brother!

11. I ain't skerd (and ummmmmm no that's not a piss stain in my pants, it's ummmm beer; yeah beer I spilt on myself).

I think I'm gonna stick to my guns and stay at North Charleston Inn. It.s convenient, 3 miles to Brewvival, 3 miles to Holy City, and then not far from there to the bottle share.

Plus, no one wants to F with this Redneck, I'm libel to have a rabid possum in my pocket (aka a redneck pocket pal). :eek:

flipdog0 likes this.
  12. North Charleston is plenty safe if you don't do anything 'tarded like try to score crack while Brewvival drunk from an 8 fingered man riding a bicycle at 3am in the parking lot of a Lil Cricket that has bars on the doors.

You guys will be fine.

Hoptrollop, JulianB and flipdog0 like this.
  13. Damned you fingered my out. So ummm, where's the nearest Sheraton? lol

14. Please don't ask Dan about this. He was at a bad point in his life.

JulianB likes this.
  15. Ravejames hates North Charleston like this sniper hates these cans: http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-jerk/shooting-cans/

16. RobLewis

RobLewis Initiate (20) Feb 13, 2013

I'm looking to buy two Charleston Brewvival tickets. Still available?

17. http://www.charlestonbeerexchange.com/blog/?p=551

Just announced a Sunday breakfast/brunch:

Morning After Brewvival, Sunday Beer Breakfast!
    (Special Note: This is a great opportunity for people who might have missed out on getting tickets to the main Brewvival festival…)
    On Sunday 2/24, Brewvival proudly presents our first ever, morning after beer breakfast. Join us for a breakfast feast created by Hominy Grill’s Robert Stehling and team paired with a plethora of beers from Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada and COAST Brewing! And of course that means that Sam Calagione, Ken Grossman, David Merritt and Jaime Tenny will be having breakfast with you! This is Brewvival, after all.
    Taking place in the GrowFoods Carolina building on Morrison Drive in Downtown Charleston, this event will start at 10:00am and go until whenever. It is going to be freely structured with food/beer paired stations to allow maximum flexibility and interactive time with your fellow been enthusiasts and professional brewer’s/brewery founders alike. Each food station will feature multiple beer pairings from two or in some cases all three of the breweries.
    Food and beverage will not be limited as you can revisit the stations as much as you like as long as you do so responsibly (on the beer side that is, you can be as irresponsible as you want with your food consumption).
    Tickets are of course limited and will cost $45 each (plus online processing fees) and will only be available on the Brewvival website. You must buy a ticket in advance. There will be no day of sales/admissions without an advance purchased ticket. And yes, of course this will sell out anyway so don’t wait on this. This event will be limited to approximately 100 people. It is an incredible, ground breaking opportunity. How often can you eat breakfast with Sam, Ken, David and Jaime? Lifetime bragging rights…
    Tickets will go on sale within the next 24 hours and we’ll announce that on Facebook and Twitter (or just keep a keen eye on Brewvival.com).
    The menu specifics will be posted as soon as possible. You can count on Robert and his team crafting some amazing breakfast themed dishes with beery twists!
    Cheers,
    The Charleston Beer Exchange

18. raverjames

For good reason. We were just at Evo on Friday with the WB brewery crew and one of the guys parked next to the firehouse. He came back later that evening to drive home, and his window was smashed. They ripped his radio right out. That was in the better part of north charleston. Sure, there are nice neighborhoods in N Chas, but there are more bad areas. The North Charleston Inn is a slum with plenty of drug trade happening around it. I was just looking out for a visitor to our city.
    If it makes you feel better, I would still live in N Chas before I would live in Summerville.

19. Where is this drug trade happening around the North Charleston Inn? At McDonalds? The Kangaroo gas station? A-loft? Cause that's whats around that place. I agree that there are plenty of bad places in North Chuck, I just think that the general area is ALL hotels and businesses so there really isn't an area where a "bad element" would likely be hanging out. Kinda like where I live. I'm perfectly fine with my neighborhood, but if I walked up to Dorchester road at night, I wouldn't want to take a right or a left and walk very far.

20. raverjames

At the inn. Read the reviews. Plenty of cheap places round there that don't have the reputation.

21. I must not be seeing the reviews you've seen. Thought TripAdvisor would be a good place for reviews. No mention of people dealing drugs at the Inn. They actually seemed pretty favorable of the level of service especially when you consider the price point of the hotel in comparison to many others in the area.

22. raverjames

Tripadvisor is full of fake reviews. Here is just a taste of the real reviews: https://www.google.com/search?q=nor...&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#mldd=0

23. raverjames

Your browser must be messing with you. Only 11 reviews on there with my browser, and most are negative. A couple are positive, but I am sure a few people out there have very low standards.

"Place was a dump. Checked in late, lady at counter was on the phone Bull shi**ing with someone on the phone. looked at me like I wasn't thert and continued to talk on the phone. Finally got the keys for the room, couldn't find the room because it was so confussing. Finally found it and when we walked in, the A/C was on, the lights were on, the bed was messed up, 2 fountain soda's were sitting on the table and a set of hotel keys were on the bed. Went back to the office and got new keys for another room. Area loaded with blacks, felt unsafe. Thugs hanging out in the parking lot, even had two of them follow me to my room. I had my 4 YO daughter with me and I thought they were going to jump me. My daughter was afraid and she wanted to go home. I was afraid they were going to break into my van ..."

That is just one of the many. Why would I be making this up? Personally, if I am staying in N Chas, I would go for one of the well known mid level chains.
    Anyways, I am not trying to turn this thread into a long commentary on roach hotels. Stay wherever you like. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of bad hotels out there, especially in an area that ranks highly in the nation for homocide rate. Be smart and stay safe.

24. Stopped reading at:

"Area loaded with blacks, felt unsafe."

25. raverjames

Meh, that was just the first negative review. There were plenty more.

Here is a less racist review:
    I booked and payed through hotwire, and then this hotel accidentally charged me an additional $140.00. Resolving this matter was not simple, the staff was by and large unhelpful and sometimes rude. All this for a not soundproof and dirty room (hairs in bathroom area, clean sheets?!?) in which housecleaning actually came in when I was still in bed in the morning! The place looks like it has not been renovated since the 70s with inconveniently placed outlets, holes in the bedcovers, and carpets with built-in grime. Also, the other reports about airplane noise are not exaggerated; it feels like the roof could come off with the vibrations. Overall one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had, a headache all around -- from a seasoned budget traveler of the US and abroad.

26. Oh, I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with your assessment of the hotel (I've not been there so I can't say), I just found it hilarious someone would write something that racist in a hotel review.

27. raverjames

Yeah, I didn't even notice it. I am not shocked. Welcome to SC. I stopped at a gas station on Dorchester last week, and a large older white guy was standing next to my car. He started lecturing me about my Subaru, saying foreign car ownership takes jobs away from Americans. I told him I work for the Germans in the USA, so a foreign company gave this American a job. After that, he started ranting about the "N" word people and how the kkk would take care of them. I just shook my head and drove away.

28. I agree that there are many better places to stay. The list of 11 reviews was half good and half bad. I guess I'm still just looking for something that backs your drug dealing claim.

29. raverjames

I have heard rumors from colleagues that live in park circle area, but here is a review example:
    This place is one step above sleeping outside on the ground but not any cleaner. I suspect that there is a drug traffic problem at this hotel with several young guys on cell phones noted wandering about he corridors on all the days I was there. I would never stay here again at any price and in fact checked out early. This place is disgusting.

30. HEY !! I did not mean to bring dissension upon my fermented malt beverage brethren to my south. You can bet your azz that if I feel the slightest bit UP IN HERE, my ass will be gone like a fart in a hurricane. BUT, I do appreciate your concern for an out of town brother. Peace & Cheers

31. problem is there must be a bunch up scared women staying at this place.....Charleston....Charleston...Charleston ain't no Greenboro brah

32. Oh FFS.

Redneck, you'll be fine, just use your head.

James, Is it that hard to say "I wouldn't stay there"? Why does it have to be a deal?

NoMoreBeerBelly and FutureCowboy like this.
  33. Heard about the window smash, that SUCKS, but having gone there probably over 100 times since 2007 (when it was even less developed), and Sesame when they opened before EVO easily as many times, I've never once had an issue. It's anecdotal.

Parts are NoChas are ROUGH, but I've never felt scared there. Maybe I've naive. Or maybe I'm from Florence.

nickmcc likes this.
  34. I live in downtown Florence, right behind the public library just off Dargan street. I can't imagine anything I'll experience in North Charleston will feel all that scary.

nickmcc likes this.
  35. raverjames

I did basically say that in my first post. I got criticized for saying it was a dangerous place. People wanted evidence of the bad stuff, and I posted it.
    Since when did have you been against a good rabble rousing? You have changed on me. ;)

36. raverjames

I have never felt scared there, but I lived in Logan Square (Chicago) for two years and Church Hill (Richmond) for almost 2 years. I am not naive and have seen some messed up stuff. That's why I feel that it is better to be honest with visitors. Some people come here with beaches and palm trees in their minds, but fail to realize that we still have major crime areas. Hate me for looking out for people, but I know I would want to hear the same stuff if I visited their cities.

37. raverjames

Can we get back to the topic of fun filled Brewvival events and lay off the raverbashing for a bit? Don't make me get rnorgart going again on the charleston community battles.

FutureCowboy and alex7577 like this.
  38. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

39. Just noticed Conquest on the list. Very nice.

nickmcc likes this.