1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Countdown to Hill Farmstead Collected Works Lottery 12pm EST

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Hanzo, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Well...how do you like your odds of getting in? Some tasting group pals and I are all trying with the hopes of at least one of us getting in though after finding out it isn't 150 openings it is 50 our chances took a nose dive.

I guess they aren't going to start notifying until later today/tonight but I figure there needed to be a place to discuss the results of the lottery.

2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Is the drawing completely random? If the location listed in the application is factored in, then I, as a New Englander, like the odds even less. The odds are still miserable regardless, with so many applicants (and a large window of time to apply).

3. Hanzo

It is completely random, location is not factored though it does state this program is meant for people that can't make it to the brewery often, so perhaps if you are twenty minutes away and they pick you, they could disqualify you.

4. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

If I were only 20 min away, I'd disqualify myself... 9 hrs round trip for me, so I applied :S

5. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Where did you find out that there's only 50 memberships? That sucks :(

6. Hanzo

It was a tweet of theirs, though I can't access twitter at work to post it. From the beginning they just said "less than 150 memberships" but I never thought it would be a hundred less.

7. I hope those fancy wooden boxes are worthy the price ;)

8. I would say the piece of mind that goes with knowing that there is a wonderful box of HF love waiting with my name on it.

Priceless!

9. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone.

10. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (310) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

Decided not to enter as I am lucky enough to live in the state of VT, albeit 2 hours from Hill, however I am starting to wish I had if not just for the event tickets!

11. 1100 miles one way for me, so this is my only shot at it. I'd gladly fly up for the August pick up date, if it meant I had all 12 bottles ready for me. But driving to each release?...not so possible.

12. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Best of luck to everyone! Would be nice to see some great BAs come away with a membership or two.

The sting of inevitably not being picked will be partially offset by being fortunate enough to have the opportunity to attend the Anniversary Party in May. Looking forward to making the pilgrimage to the farm!

13. kdmcguire10

Yeah, the 700 mile trip just hasn't worked out for me yet either. Would be glad to do this though.

14. Honestly, I'm not even sure the odds drop all that dramatically with 150-100-50 spots... it's still going to be like winning the lottery jackpot. He said there were 200 entries sent in the 12 hours AFTER the deadline. Gotta figure there were 2-3K entries at least... Talking sub-5% chance of winning regardless...

Good luck everyone, and remember - it's just beer.

15. Hanzo

Don't be a cloud on a sunny day Winston!

16. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Anyone get into swagtown yet?

17. kdmcguire10

I think they were starting to announce later tonight.

18. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Correct:
    I have my fingers AND toes crossed!

19. Hanzo

I can't handle the wait.

20. Clearly, I am needed in the Reserve, to represent South Carolina. I'm just hoping the draw of the hat saw it the same way.

21. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I'm curious what the regional demographic will be, or if that has anything to do with the process.

22. Having just moved from Michigan to San Francisco, I'm now over 3,000 miles away from my favorite brewery. So of course I threw my hat in the ring with everyone else. Just hoping I have good beer karma today :)

Good luck, BAs!

23. Possibly the biggest cry baby bitchfest of the year incoming in t minus...

24. Thank God I live in VT and have a reasonable fall back position!

MarkF150 likes this.
  25. MsRif

MsRif Savant (400) Pennsylvania Oct 23, 2011

They said it would be random but I do know they were going through each individual e-mail as well in hopes of eliminating "ineligible" entries. A trip to HF for me is 16 hours round trip so I'd love to win but I'm also realistic...50 spots is nothin' especially since I only have one entry in unlike a lot of my friends who put in every family member they could think of in order to "trustee" for them. They had 500 entries at about the 1/2 way point but it sounds like there were more submissions towards the end. Good luck to everyone!

26. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Got my e-mail already!

Trolling.

27. kdmcguire10

Proof, or it didn't happen.

Penguin3200 and juliusseizure like this.
  28. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Look at the bottom right corner of his post...

Penguin3200 likes this.
  29. Totally fell for it.

30. kdmcguire10

Banned

31. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Oh is that today?

Those guys must now be going through the essays and laughing at people, just like in Animal House when Flounder was being considered for frat membership. Belushi screamed and everyone threw beer bottles at his picture on the wall. Except they'll be throwing growlers - the three dollar ones.

32. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

...12 days til DLD tickets go on sale

33. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Seriously...I doubt this will even compare to the BA Abraxas thread or the eventual DLD ticket sale thread.

34. I dunno, I desk like there's a whole new level of entitlement with HF beers. The Bros also shut down at least 2-3 threads about the entry process.

35. Hanzo

They shut down the other threads because people were bashing HF. I don't expect that to happen in here until people find out they didn't get in.

yamar68, wsnich and Psychmusic like this.
  36. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

people should post their essays here and we can offer suggestions for the next time.

Drucifer likes this.
  37. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Did they shut down the other threads because people were complaining about paying $160 premium for what amounts to a wooden box and a ticket to an event? I kid, I kid.

38. Hanzo

Come on dudes, I'd like this thread to stick around long enough to gloat when I get in and no one else here does. Cool your jets.

39. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Wait, did I miss the cutoff?

40. I love reading the posts on facebook from people whining about how unfair the ticketing process was. Next year it looks like they'll have to cut production in half just to make extra time to write thousands of names down for the 50 random lotteries they'll have to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.