1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Countdown to the Raleigh Rare Beer Tasting...

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by fehrminator, Jan 11, 2013.

1. So I didn't go last year. This thing is outside right, 38 - degrees? Room temp coffee stout anyone?

2. if anyone needs a room, i just booked the Sheraton downtown for $51 on priceline using Raleigh downtown-NCSU 3.5 stars....easy r-line

3. It sucks we were cash strapped this past month when tickets went on sell, and I knew those tickets would go fast too. Anyone not going let me know and I'll buy one from ya.

4. The website for the event had a (fairly) recent tweet that two tickets became available if anyone is looking. Also, it looks like heaters are confirmed. Big ups to the organizers there.

wchollif likes this.
  5. I was told that when they said they'd have "heaters", they were only talking about the 2 oz pours of Utopias that will be for sale.

flipdog0 likes this.
  6. I'm not gonna make it, but I constantly look at this thread just to see Flipdog0's avatar... my lord...

flipdog0 likes this.
  7. Getting pumped up for tomorrow - excited for the BA Bigfoot and also the Ghost Bottles from Brooklyn. If its half the time as last years was, it's gonna be great. Who else has imperial tix?

8. I'm in early w/ Imperial

9. aranton

aranton Savant (285) New York Apr 3, 2012

I have come from NYC and can't wait looking at that lineup! Imperiiiiiaaaaallllllll

10. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

It's today! I don't have Imperial tix ... ya'll don't drink ALL the BA Bigfoot.

11. Pretty pumped...I've been on a BA/beer buying/trading hiatus for about a month, and job searching has me THIRSTY. Will be rolling solo to the imperial session, come say whatup!

12. IT'S HAPPENING! Beer geek Christmas!

13. ewright

Trying to get everyone out the door so I can head downtown is like herding cats! Let's move people, daddy's got some beer to drink!

14. I will be there rocking the frog beanie. If you see me, come say hi.

15. This lived up to my (high) expectations. Faves were Silva Stout, Hardywood GBS, Allagash Avance, and a 20-way tie for 4th with a gaggle of beers I can't quite remember. It was good to see the usual suspects and put faces to some of the BA handles that I've seen forever. Great, great event. My one request is more portolets next year. Still, hats off to the organizers and all the breweries involved. First class all the way.

winbassett likes this.
  16. aranton

aranton Savant (285) New York Apr 3, 2012

Hardywood gbs was there?

17. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

Had a blast, GBS was tapped after bourbon county kicked. The pre game bottle share the night before was insane.

ncaudle and winbassett like this.
  18. Hardywood GBS was ridiculous. They had/have the bourbon version at the busy bee as well, regular GBS was better in my opinions. Avance was great, silva was good but couldn't stand up to a lot of other stouts (not at this event) in the same category.

19. I also enjoyed the big boss Hells biznasss, heard the haw river Flanders beer was amazing but I missed out on it

20. Yes, the Darius was outstanding...The folks from Haw River were very cool, too. Looking forward to them getting going, along with Trophy. Rum barrel did really interesting things to the scotch ale.

winbassett and flipdog0 like this.
  21. ewright

I missed out on the Darius, but agree on the rum barrel wee heavy. That stuff was incredible.

Allagash Avancé was the top sour I had, followed closely by NB prickly peach. Quadzilla was my favorite non-sour. That stuff was DANK! I didn't game plan this as well as I should have. Missed some breweries entirely ... wanted to try hell's bizness but that one slipped past me.

flipdog0 likes this.
  22. Shilt

Shilt Savant (440) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Mojiboo02 and myself were pouring the Hardywood GBS, and were glad to spread the love! Also big ups to the owner of Mekong in Richmond for providing both kegs. Bourbon GBS should still be pouring at the Bee, so those in Raleigh get yourself some! Amazing time, and Haw River was the truth! everything from them was solid and can't wait to try stuff once they get a bigger operation with better equipment. Standouts for me were Silva, ORF, Avance, and of course DARIUS!

RyanBeer13 likes this.
  23. The Haw River stuff was clearly the stand out. Darius was as good of beer as I've ever had.

Tops on my list include Great Divide Gose, Avance, Big Boss Hells Bizness, that quad hopped GKnight, & NB peach sour. I thought the Trophy pale was very good and so was the Lagunitas wet hopped beer.

I'm finding it hard to get excited about BA stouts anymore. Just looking at vicosity of BCS on the glass was worth the pour.

A few beers had me really confused as to how a brewer could serve them to the public. Example...the Avaitor w/ Mace was god aweful. I can't imagine someone with a brewing background could drink that and not say they made a huge mistake and over spiced it. It was't drinkable.

Average beers dont show well at a fest like this. I'm sure I would like the Lonerider Dopplebock if I had a glass by itself but with all the big barreled/hopped/soured beers it just comes out ....meh. The Brooklyn Ghost bottles was very confusing & I was never sure what I was drinking.

They need more pissers for sure. I was worried about the space seeing how many were in line at 3pm but it was fine. Never more than 2 or 3 people in line at table. I was worred about the grass but it was only muddy in a few spots. I can't think of a better beer fest on the east coast.

johnsonni likes this.
  24. I'm curious about Haw River. I've been looking forward to them since they are local. Did they give details on when they'll be opening this year? Any details about how to get their beer?

25. AtlCarl

AtlCarl Aficionado (125) Georgia Feb 1, 2011

Our whole crew throughly enjoyed the fest. We met some great people, and drank some fantastic beers. Definitely agree on needing more bathrooms though. All of us really enjoyed both Allagash beers and the Haw River Darius as well. I personally thought the year and half old Brooklyn Companion was drinking really nicely as well. I think my palate still hates me for trying that Blue Mountain Sour Devil though.

26. I think he said this summer they should be open...

27. From my recollections of our discussion: They've got the place leased, it still needs work to get it ready for brewing, and their system is currently being fabricated (or planned) by Premier Stainless Systems in California. Their blog is pretty cool, shows a picture of the spot, which looks awesome (it's not quite up to date on everything).

28. Silva Stout was tops for me. Was a little disappointed in the BA Bigfoot. Darius was amazing and I can't wait for Trophy to open up so I can enjoy more of that DIPA. I wish I remembered the Siren Noire more, everyone's been talking about that one. Also, the Dihos Dactylion was really tasty. Really got me ready for Brewvival!