1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Counter-pressure filled growlers in Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by BuckeyeOne, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Besides Fremont Brewing, who else around the Seattle area fills their growlers using counter-pressure machines? I'm really tired of getting growlers filled directly from the tap without even a hose that go flat the same day. While the use of the hose is better than straight from the tap, it is no comparison to the superiority of the counter-pressure filled growlers.
  2. If you don't mind the trip south on I-5 99 bottles uses one.
  3. bweinst

bweinst Aficionado (165) Washington Mar 31, 2005

I get all of my growlers filled straight from the tap, and as long as they're filled to the top, and the top secured, they are good for weeks. Cheers!
  4. I think Beer Junction does. Definitely not sure though.
  5. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

+1 to 99 Bottles. They have two cool lil special made Russian machines that look cool, and they shrink wrap the necks and label the growler. Real classy setup.
  6. They are VERY cool, but also very expensive. I've talked with a couple brewers who looked into getting them for their taprooms but decided against it.
  7. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

They do.
    libbey likes this.
  8. Git R Done!
  9. If you get your growler filled straight from the faucet, ask the person filling it to either 1) rinse it with cold water first, or 2) put it in the cooler while you enjoy 1 or 2 before you leave. Filling cool beer into a cool vessel will keep more co2 in your beer in solution. Also the less head space in your growler = mo betta.
    beertunes, djbreezy and libbey like this.
  10. itshanney

itshanney Disciple (50) Washington Aug 30, 2012

Georgetown Brewing does for sure. They're setup is similar to Fremont's and is pretty fun to watch the machine work.
  11. JKAllen

JKAllen Aficionado (125) Sep 8, 2012

99 Bottles? General location please?
  12. 35002 Pacific Highway South Federal Way, WA 98003
    (253) 838-2558
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Up here in the 'Ham, Kulshan Brewing is counter-filling their growlers. They will fill your growler from the tap, but they are doing the growler exchange deal. They pre-fill the growlers and the first time you get one you pay a deposit, then you just exchange it for another when you pick up your next growler.
  14. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

So it's like the Blue Rhino propane tank of beer?
  15. Fremont does the same thing if you use their growlers, i.e., you can exchange your empty Fremont growler for a pre-filled one. You can also bring in a non-Fremont growler to get it filled from the counter-pressure filling machine.
  16. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Yup. Apparently it's common in other places, but not so much around here. In WA, any sealable container can be used as a growler (I use my Nalgene bottle a lot when going for a walk), whereas other places have laws that are more restrictive. But you can still take whatever want into Kulshan and they'll fill it from the tap, like most places do. The exchange is for pre-filled, Kulshan branded growlers only.
    djbreezy likes this.