1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Counterfeit Cantillon John Chris Nomad

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JealousChalice, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Centennial

Centennial Savant (450) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

2. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Which BA DL? It seems that he actually bought one in early May (Bourbon Barrel)....

3. Knifestyles

You betcha. I got a Kuhnhenn 2009 BBBW at a pretty reasonable cost (threw in a 2010 4D as an "extra"). Bottle was entirely legit.....however, his shipping/communication practices were not.

EDIT: My feedback was on his iron_man account, not game_henge. The former was apparently suspended for reasons that were never really explained. If you check through his history on both accounts, you'll see that he was cross-selling identical bottles...even using the same photos.

You'll also see that I left hop-one some feedback as well on one of those gnarly looking Mort Subite's from the "70's".

4. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (735) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

Centennial likes this.
  5. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

6. Knifestyles

7. Not really, he used the 'I'm the best trader' shield for so long while pulling shady stuff, it was a matter of time.

Levitation likes this.
  8. Yep - I've been using Ebay for 15 years. (not beer) Yes, they do take buyers seriously, but the product in question here is a big gray area. It is also not open and shut in favor of buyers - they do go through arbitration and will side with the seller plenty.

Also, there's not much Ebay can do if a buyer opens their $200 whale 3 months after purchase, determines it was fake, and the seller has already wiped their PayPal account.

I am one-sided, because I've watched Ebay slowly turn limited craft beer releases into event tickets. That sucks. Dealing with scalpers, lines flooded by people who have no interest in enjoying the item, paying 10x the price, counterfeit concerns, etc. It's already here and/or coming soon if this pace keeps up. How can anybody actually want that?

9. nobody does. please don't straw man and appeal to emotion here. it's perfectly legit to point out that the same pitfalls of buying on ebay exist in trading on ba. the fact that this purported counterfeit was obtained through trading should be enough to establish that.

at least ebay has arbitration. what protection does ba have? look at how long mikesgroove got away with his shit.

10. heyta

heyta Savant (295) Georgia Jun 16, 2009

What makes trading scarier is that sometimes the person who is potentially trading a fake doesn't know it is a fake -- then are they really at fault? In the OP's case, it sounds like this could be what happened... When you trade for your next whale, won't you ask the other guy to send you pictures?

FWIW, I checked my JCN bottle, and the text seems crisp, and has correctly rounded edges on the label. It also has a 2011 cork.

11. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

Last time I checked, Yes. If you have a fake $100 and try to give it to someone, guess who's at fault.

12. heyta

heyta Savant (295) Georgia Jun 16, 2009

You are not at fault when you have a faulty $100 bill. You are subject to forfeiture, but you don't go to jail.

13. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

He bought way too much De Muerte.

14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Holy shit, between those two accounts he has a serious amount of BADLs, just wow.....that is one fuckton of money spent.

15. alcstradamus

alcstradamus Savant (405) Iowa Aug 10, 2008

WOW...so this dude spent like $6000 last month on BA Dark Lords and we are supposed to believe his 'lost my job' story as to why he is a bad trader? Fuck that guy.

16. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

out of curiosity, I counted them--there's 20 BA DL at an average price of $250 with shipping. That's $5000 in beer he bought in the last month and a half...There's also a dozen or so bottles of BA FFF beers like Alpha Klaus and Behemoth.

Maybe he's buying up all this beer before he declares bankruptcy and then he'll send everyone he owes beer to a Bourbon or Brandy DL!

17. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

Funny that on page 9 and we still dont know anymore than on page 1
    So do we know where this supposed fake Nomad came from?
    Does anyone have anything in writing/email from cantillon or the chocolatier stating this is definately fake?
    OP where/who did you get this from and where/who did he get this from?

18. alcstradamus

The potentially fake bottles came from a private seller in Belgium
    The OP received it in a trade, the trader purchased it from that private seller

So basically, until more investigation is done, buyer beware. Sorry if I am being a bit vague, but it is not my place to be exposing potential fraudsters until it is shown that they have indeed committed fraud. It might take some time to get the full details.

nsheehan and sleepyhead like this.
  19. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Interesting...

User ID Effective Date End Date

gamehenge_bottle_shop Mar-31-12 Present

wont_you_step_into_the_freezer Feb-01-12 Mar-31-12

bustedonbourbonstreet Nov-16-11 Feb-01-12

r**c* Jul-13-08 Nov-16-11

sugmag2390 Jan-20-03 Jul-13-08

CarolinaKevin and claaark13 like this.
  20. Hard to say how much he's making from selling. It can be a lot easier than trading too. Sell a bunch of bottles that would never land a BA DL on here then buy a BA DL. Ebay is more than just a bunch of capitalists.

Domeshot14 likes this.
  21. alcstradamus

I recognize that name from back in my daily ebay browsing days. Always had a ton of rare shit for sale, I might have even bought some from him I don't remember. Dude was DEEP in the ebay game even back when he was on his high and mighty trader shit.

I want to clarify that I have nothing against ebayers, but I do have something against people who portray themselves one way and act a completely different way behind the scenes.

nsheehan and Centennial like this.
  22. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (365) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

The guys he screwed over should pool their money and buy his foreclosed house. Then they can call it even. :p

Soonami likes this.
  23. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Just gonna throw this out there, but this thread is probably one of the most legit I've seen on BA as far as being helpful to people. If you guys take it too far off course it might not even exist anymore.

ehammond1 and Centennial like this.
  24. Hoosier12390

Hoosier12390 Disciple (60) Illinois May 15, 2012

What a ridiculous scheme....20 BA DL's. Good lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.