1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

CPVC Manifold vs copper?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by lionking, Dec 25, 2012.

1. lionking

lionking Savant (310) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2006

Looking at making a manifold for a 48gal rectangular igloo cooler. Looking at making a manifold. Seems like CPVC would be easier and cheaper vs copper manifold. Any issues withCPVC?thx
  2. CPVC is fine. A toilet braid & batch sparging is just as efficient for that set up though. The grain bed depth will be lower than ideal for fly sparging for most lower gravity beers.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Batch sparging? Braid. Easy and just as good as a manifold. Possibly better, depending on the deadspace configuration of your cooler.
  4. I'm 4 batches in using a bazooka screen in the mash tun and couldn't be happier. My first 2 non-BIAB brews with the braided stainless steel hose caused a lot of drama (could not run off, rice hulls, no rice hulls, etc.). The bazooka screen (13 inches long) required no futzing around, cleans up easily, and seems to be working really well. Just have to be gentle when stirring as you could crush it with the mash paddle.
  5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

+1 on the bazooka screen.
  6. I've used CVPC before with no problems. Tried a braid at first, but for me it was a hassle. Stirring the mash moved it around. That's just my experience. =)
  7. I use a CVPC and keep it so I can take it apart after each use , never comes apart use and getting 80% out of it