Crab feed beer

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by bnuno, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bnuno

bnuno Aficionado (155) California Feb 8, 2011

Going to a large crab feed dinner tonight. I always like to bring some good brews for everyone at our table to enjoy. What would be a good style to drink while we stuff our faces and eat way to much crab? I was thinking something like a Saison or other refreshing belgian style?

2. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

you could go with that. A decent lager or pilsner and Anchor Steam doesn't hurt either. I like Atlantic Lager with my crab down here in Maryland ... we know crab... ;) but it's different probably from what you will be having.

3. Saison is a good way to go. Hennepin is always a good choice and available in 4-packs. Great Divide's Collette even comes in 6ers, but I prefer Hennepin.

4. bnuno

Thanks. Pilsner would be a good choice although I'm looking to bring about 4 large bottles so I think it will be a Saison then since those are easier to find in bombers then pilsners are....Don't get Hennepin in my town but I do have access to Lost Abbey, The Bruery and some other good ones.

5. bnuno

Of course they will have coors light and bud light in cans for sale....

6. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I think state law requires you to drink Natty Bo with your crabs...

7. smakawhat

ummm I have a plethora of options... this does Maryland and the crabs truly proud... I will confirm.. :)

[​IMG]

8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Good choice... I'd endorse a not too strong saison as well.

I was kidding about the NB...

9. smakawhat

no harm taken mate ;)

10. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

I think I'd go with something dry and pale, like a Munich helles, to make the sweet, buttery flavors of the crab meat pop. A Belgian could be nice, but I think I'd go for something cleaner. Of course, if spices are involved, it's going to change things either way.

That said, what exactly is a crab feed? In responding to this, I sort of assumed it's just where you eat a lot of crab and stuff. Like a clam bake, but with crab.

11. bnuno

Looked for this at bevmo but didn't see it. They have a lot flying dog. Got Wilde man saison though. Love flying dogs stuff.

12. bnuno

It's charity event for our local rotary club. Tickets are $60 bucks and they sell close to 500 of them! They basically just bring out buckets of crab legs to the tables and keep em coming until you can't eat anymore.

I was asked if I wanted to be in charge of the wine/beer for the event next year. So next year there will be no BMC cans and only good craft options, lol.

13. They sell it at Total Wine if you have one near you.

14. smakawhat

oh geez... totally forgot this hits the spot also with crabs (or good ole simple boiled/steamed seafood):

Full Sail - session Lager

[​IMG]

Keep in mind Maryland Blue crab (which yeah I am gonna say is the best) is different from others, I really love it's sweetness, and it's often spiced with Old Bay or Jay O's (personally I don't spice my crab). So where you are having crabs it's going to be a little different possibly but still same drink drink rules I would say apply!

I suppose if you want to nit pick I could ask how you are having them crabs, or how they are seasoned, or how sweet they might be, but... I need to stop talking cause I am starving thinking about this :confused: