1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer at Gas Stations: Do you want this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ohiobeer29, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Would you be excited if your local gas station carried craft beer?

1. yes

475 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. no

75 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. nyyfanatic213

nyyfanatic213 Savant (330) New York Aug 24, 2011

The one closest to me offers a decent selection. The only problem is that they hardly rotate it
  2. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I'd be thrilled if any local business carried more good beer.
    DrDaves49, Brenden and Providence like this.
  3. smogfood

smogfood Savant (285) Wisconsin Dec 10, 2010

My nearest gas station is about 5 miles away, but they have New Glarus, Summit, Ale Asylum, Rush River, and Fat Tire. They're all about $2 more per 6 pack than the closest liquor store, but that's about 25 miles away so the price kinda evens out. I've turned many of my backwoods neighbors on to good beer so the turnover is pretty good. The selection is small, but pretty good and keeps me from having to make a one hour round trip, or drinking Budweiser.
    Spikester likes this.
  4. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I was driving to Seattle from Vancouver in early 2010. We stopped at a gas station along the way and they had a respectable craft beer selection for a small liquor store. I'd say top tier for a gas station. They may have had more craft beer than macro. I was impressed. That's the only state where I've noticed that good of a selection out of +25 states. The one competitor would be the gas station in Milwaukee that was connected to a liquor store, but that doesn't really count.
  5. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

That would never happen here LOL (sarcasm alert). Bad enough that somebody fills up using their card, then goes into the store to buy scratch tickets, ten quick picks, a carton of generic smokes, a can of Amped, and beef jerky... The bigger stations have parking lots, but they really can't enforce the concept of fill it and if you are shopping, move your damned ride. As with most things, a two edged sword...would be nice but potentially aggravating.
  6. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Savant (415) New York Apr 27, 2004

Pandora's box has been opened. In the halcyon days of the 1950s, gas stations were exactly that. You get gas, a flock of attendants check your oil, wash windows, etc. No twinkies, Doritos, or milk. Just gas. How is the back up you speak of different from the current situation? People fill up, then run in to pick up a pack of smokes, a gallon of milk, chips, use the rest room. There are still a handful of stations that sell just gas, there always will be. You can go there, i'll be picking up a growler at my local Sunoco station, after I've moved my car out of the way of the pumps, mind you.
  7. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Around here in Central New York some of the Sunoco stations have what they call the "Craft Beer Exchange".

http://craftbeerexchange.wordpress.com/
    They have a bunch of beers available for growler fills, and they actually do a pretty great job with the website keeping the tap selection up to date. It's something fun and different.

Also, one of the best beer stores in Syracuse also happens to be a gas station, so there's that. But I think historically it was an awesome beer store before it got gas.
  8. Should your beer store sell gasoline? No. Should your gas station sell beer? No.
    Why? I'm a traditionalist. Gas stations should sell gas and oil and fix cars, beer stores should sell beer.
    Period.
  9. Yes. Another reason that gas stations should only sell gas. Too many inconsiderate assholes out there who think they're they only people on the planet.
  10. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

There is a gas station by my work in Wixom that has a good selection. There is also one by where I live in Berkley that has a good selection and great prices.
  11. Luckytiki

Luckytiki Savant (295) Indiana Jul 15, 2010

So it was you that stole Alpine's tanks! :eek:
  12. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

There was some shitty gas station on campus in Tuscaloosa and I walked in and saw they had bombers of Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti and Sneaky Pete DIPA. I was confused, but excited nonetheless.
  13. Thank you for being considerate and moving your car. I just think that adding another layer of stuff to buy would worsen matters. People don't agonize over twinkees versus ho-hos like they do DFH versus Stone (arbitrary examples).

Looking at it more practically, I usually fill up my car in the 6AM hour on my way to work in order to bypass these problems. So this hypothetical really wouldn't impact me.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Maybe they will discontinue food and coffee too and make you doubly happy. To me the convenience of not having to drive out of my way 20 minutes to get a growler fill makes up for the 30 seconds additional it might take to get gas while a beer customer pays, but I was never good at math.;)
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

How about convenience stores in general? Or is it once they add gas pumps it changes everything?

What difference is it if they are inside buying craft beer or ordering a sandwich or getting coffee or whatever? I mean these stores wouldn't have five isles devoted to craft, just maybe a cooler or two.
    Spikester likes this.
  16. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I live 15 minutes from a gas station that specializes in craft beer and wine... You wouldn't know it unless you go in, but once you do, this Shell station has you covered. I probably pick up about 25 percent of my beer purchases there...

It cost a bit more per bottle or six pack, but the owner knows his stuff and gets the good stuff... keeps stock rotated well also...

It is good to support the small business owner when you can.
    Spikester likes this.
  17. Why would it fucking matter where you got it?
    Dracarys, cavedave and sarcastro like this.
  18. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

Totally agree about the big box of beer stores! And there is a Shell station in Gilbert with a great craft selection in good sized walk-in as well as having a walk-in humidor. Overall there a lot of gas stations that have at least some craft selections around the PHX area.
    DinoFight and Geuzedad like this.

19. I'm not thrilled about gas stations with convenience stores either.
  20. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I can already buy cold craft at a lot of gas stations...

@otispdriftwood, the margins on gas suck. Hence, all the other stuff; it is what it is.
    ProudBeerSnob likes this.
  21. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (480) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

In the real world, we pump our own gas too.
    dachshunddude86 and cavedave like this.
  22. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

There are no 'beer stores' here. The store with the absolute best selection in town is a gas station, and they do it up right--good selection, well kept, great service, personal attention. The store is smaller than my living room and is always crowded. You do what you have to do.

Now OP, are you sure you don't have any more questions you'd like to ask? That is a rather short and focused list...

Also, beginning to see a problem with impatience in Massachusetts. You do realize that 'convenience' in the store type name implies everyone and not just you, right?
    VictorWisc likes this.
  23. rlcoffey

Would it be adding another layer of stuff though? Mine already sell beer, so adding craft isnt really a change. I guess if beer isnt sold at gas stations in your state, that changes things.
  24. rlcoffey

Or is it convenience stores with gas also?

That seems to be the more common case.
  25. ajtorres311

ajtorres311 Initiate (0) Florida Mar 13, 2013

I've only seen one gas station that had any sort of craft beer and their selection wasn't bad. Unfortunately the gas station by my place only carries the finest selection of Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite aaaaaand Olde English. Yum!
  26. ProudBeerSnob

ProudBeerSnob Savant (415) New York Apr 27, 2004

Spot on the margins comment. This is why you NEVER see a gas only station. It's either a convenience store or a repair shop attached to the gas. NPR did a story not too long ago on this phenomenon. The big one now is the automated car washes. The station owner pays a substantial sum upfront,then minimal to run the facility and at at least $8 a wash, that gives a healthy margin. The biggest cost is water.
  27. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I voted yes, but excited is the wrong word. I'd say I expect my local gas station/mini-mart to carry craft beer. They don't have to have a deep selection, but as long as I can walk the 5 minutes down the street and grab a sixer of mainline craft from Deschutes, Sierra, etc, that'll get me through the night. Luckily, here in the PNW, craft beer is so intertwined with daily life, you have to work hard to not find it. Hell, my local bookstore has a little cafe, yup, 6 taps, all craft.
    Spikester and cavedave like this.
  28. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

gas station very near me always carried snpa and torpedo for 8.99 6 pack so if I was in a pinch I'd pay more for it but now they also carry lagunitas ipa and hop stoopid. when hop stoopid showed up I like gasped and then cheered. not priced horrible either, best deal around is 2 for 8$ at bevmo but it's 4.79 at the gas station within walking distance.

the station is chevron and the store is extra mile. it's a chain and most are getting stone ab and lagunitas.
    Spikester likes this.
  29. For me it would - I don't believe that it is legal in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for gas stations to sell beer at all. At least I've never seen one selling beer. Regardless, I can see how many people would be excited if gas stations sold craft beer - I just don't happen to be one of them.

I'm not trying to take the convenience away from anyone, in particular the guy who who saves an 40 extra miles to the closest store. I certainly wouldn't protest it if craft beer came to my local Hess station, but I may be the last person to find out, since all I ever buy there is gas.
  30. meanmutt

meanmutt Advocate (610) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

I checked yes, and in fact my local gas station does carry craft beer. Two of the guys that work there a big time into beer. In the past year I've bought FFF Apocalypse Cow, FFF Zombie Dust, Founders Rubaeus, Bell's Hopslam, Stone Espresso IRS, and Stone Lukcy Basartd...to name just a few, all from the gas station.

Sometimes they even hold special stuff aside for me because they know I might want it.
    Spikester likes this.
  31. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (430) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

if other's can think of more questions that would be great.just had this idea after i went into a shell or sunco and they actually had a few craft beers that were decent and thought it would be nice to get gas and a good craft beer at the same time.
  32. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (430) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

I'm tempted to ask you where this place is it sounds wonderful
  33. sure, if the beer is priced fairly. but I don't see how it would be being that most everything else in a convenience store is overpriced.
  34. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

theirs actually a gas station about 5 miles from me that has 100's of craft beer, only bad thing is most are old.
  35. Seems like most gas stations in Wisconsin carry New Glarus. Maybe not all offerings, but the year round and fruit beers at least.
    BeerGuyEsquire likes this.
  36. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

No, because most of my local gas stations don't seem to care about their buildings or products, and there is no shortage of alternative places to buy beer. But it is certainly appreciated while I am travelling somewhere and don't have time to go exploring for a good selection.
  37. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

?

The Sheetz in Altoona sells beer
  38. i was in seattle a couple of weeks ago and the gas station had a really nice selection of craft beers. it was awesome. prices were great too.

shit like that doesn't happen in new york.
  39. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I own a gas station (c-store) and I sell craft beer. I make no money on gas these days, diesel is a different story. If I ran my store "traditionally" I would have to sell out, but thanks to my inside sales, it keeps my business afloat trying to compete with the likes of WalMart, etc.

Times change, traditions are worthless.
  40. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

No...I really thought that the store with gas pumps was just there for me!

So this will be off topic, but in line with the general them that has emerged here. I don't have any problem with convenience stores with gas pumps selling whatever they want to sell. If they weren't selling lottery tickets and smokes half of them would be belly up anyway. I have a problem with people being inconsiderate and leaving a vehicle blocking the pump island for a time. Lots of our places only have one or two pump islands and in my opinion it is rude if you leave your vehicle while you go in shopping, block the island, and screw up traffic flow. Move the vehicle so somebody getting fuel only can do so...that's all. I'm not expecting a NASCAR pit stop for refueling, but I don't want it to take twenty minutes waiting either, and one car in the wrong spot can create that long a wait. Hell, I have gotten yelled at by drivers for putting my earplugs, helmet, and gloves back on after refueling...now THAT is impatience...you can't go AROUND a motorcycle??? I always refuel the bike on an open side, not between islands.

Common sense...crowded place busy at the pumps, fill up and move the car if you have further business whether it is craft beer or a lemon/lime Big Gulp. Seems simple enough to me. Everybody happy, happy, happy.
    Andrew041180 likes this.