1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer at Gas Stations: Do you want this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ohiobeer29, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Would you be excited if your local gas station carried craft beer?

1. yes

475 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. no

75 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. This wins the understatement of the year award. I laughed out loud when I read it. :)
  2. After having lived in MA for almost 30 years I'm not at all convinced a majority (or even a significant minority) of the people here do realize this.
    VictorWisc likes this.
  3. Move to NJ. Most gas stations here only sell gas and they all have to pump it for you!
    Andrew041180 and Chaz like this.
  4. no beer in gas stations in Connecticut.
  5. Once you park at the pump, you are a customer. Moving your car to then go back inside is silly. People can go in, drop a duece, prepay, buy beer..whatever they want. Pumps are no more of a drive-thru than parking lot spaces. Wait your turn Speed Racer.
  6. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I can't think of a logical reason to bitch about this. More places to buy beer is a win in my book.
    cavedave and beertunes like this.

7. I stand corrected. I came across that tidbit in a PLCB-issues manual for distributors, and just assumed it applied across the board. In terms of freedoms in PA, I love being proved wrong. :)
  8. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

Unfortunately it is only a select few at the moment, but Sheetz has been trying to spur the change. Even on the west side of the state, they have been backing Free My Beer for a few years now.

http://www.freemybeer.com/index.cms
    domnalbrecc likes this.
  9. My local gas station carries a decent selection of craft six packs, maybe 10 different bombers and a mix and match six pack section with more options than any grocery store in town. Im a fan.
  10. meanmutt

meanmutt Advocate (615) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

11. In New York, they do a dozen tap growler stations and make your own 6 pack at some 'Sunoco A+' stores. It started with a few dozen in outstate NY (that's 'up and out' for us folks down in the city) and it's slowly moved east, I think it's nearly 50 stores now, the furthest south are in Orange & Putnam counties.

http://craftbeerexchange.wordpress.com/
    http://www.gosunoco.com/aplus-food-and-beverages/craft-beer-exchange/

Yes, I have concerns over beer and line treatment.

South Carolina Sunoco A+ stations also offer the Craft Beer Exchange. (At least in stations around Charleston, the area we refer to as the Lowcountry) Current line up from the station nearest my house features the following beers: note: Palmetto, RJ Rockers, & Holy City are SC breweries, kudos to Sunoco for keeping it local.
    1. Palmetto Amber
    2. RJ Rockers Son of a Peach
    3. New Belgium Rolle Bolle
    4. Holy City Porter
    5. Highland Kashmir IPA
    6. Sweetwater 420
    7. Angry Orchard Crisp Apple
    8. Sky Blue
    9. Leinenkugel Summer Shandy
    Spikester likes this.
  12. People don't have beer at gas stations? WaWa always has SNPA around here
  13. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Yes my Lord, as we all know all of your beer is delivered directly to Urectum!!!
    dennis3951 likes this.
  14. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

There has always been some craft avaible to me at just about any gas station in WI hell I've bought fresh two hearted and gotten New Glarus fruit beers like Belgian Red at gas stations before don't see what the big deal is. Why anyone would oppose this is beyond me.
    Spikester and VictorWisc like this.
  15. Some of the best bbq joints are attached to gas stations, so it's about time they caught up w/their beer selection. Truly, a one-stop shop!
  16. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

There is no progress without deviation. By this same tolken a lot of the great beers we have today would not exist if let's say we kept bourbon and stout seperate for example. So while I get where your coming from it just seems like you are particularly frustrated with these types of stores to begin with and forming your opinion around this frustration.

In reality at least here in WI it works I've been to gas stations all over and they seem no different anywhere else than they do here but I can buy craft at my gas stations even some fancier stuff occasionally and I am no worse off. In fact it saves me from having to make two stops which is really...what's the word I'm looking for.....oh yeah, convenient.
    Spikester likes this.
  17. So your saying NJ is not the real world?
    VictorWisc likes this.
  18. Both I guess.
  19. That's what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks.
  20. My opinions are just that - opinions. I wouldn't avoid an establishment like yours if I was traveling but it's not someplace I would frequent at home. And I do appreciate the need to do whatever it takes to keep a business afloat these days. I'm just expressing an opinion, plain and simple.
  21. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Some of the best craft stores in Austin are also gas stations/convenience stores (Sunrise Minimart, East 1st Grocery, Hyde Park Market). Its so common here I dont think twice about it.
  22. One of my favorite local beer stores that doesn't require a twenty minute-plus drive is a gas station with a huge selection and an overly enthusiastic owner. Every time I come in I literally cannot get him to stop talking about beer. I have to pry myself away after an hour of conversation. He's a great guy and he sells me everything with no tax or bottle deposit.

So I'm not sure how to answer the question from the OP. We already have craft beer in gas stations here, and yes I definitely support it.
  23. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

Btw, I sell non ethanol fuel. I don't want corn in my beer or gas.
  24. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

I'm surprised with how many gas stations around here are selling craft beer (surprised because, in the Downriver region of Michigan - the area south of Detroit along the Detroit river up until the junction between the river and Lake Erie - craft beer hasn't really caught on. We have one main store and another party store or two that have a good selection as far as I know, only a few bars/restaurants with more than Fat Tire or Sam Adams, and one small brewery in an area of nearly 400,000 people).

Most of them don't have anything too crazy, but some have some pretty solid selections. Occasionally I'm hesitant to buy some of them, because they're usually kept in super-cooled fridges right next to the BMC stuff, but it is good to see.
  25. Purp1eOne

Purp1eOne Advocate (505) Illinois Oct 23, 2010

Who cares where you buy beer? Its all tastes the same. As long as I can get it who cares
  26. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Of coarse seeing "craft beer" in gas stations is a good thing. Why would it not be? As long as the beer is fresh, not skunked, and at a reasonable price why would anybody care where they bought it from?:confused:
  27. this is life in wisconsin
    jRocco2021 and VictorWisc like this.
  28. Sam's Blue Light in Durham NC sells gas, but I only buy beer there. It is THE craft beer destination in NC.
  29. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (365) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

Well, there is this small chain called Brew thru on the outer banks of NC. No growlers, but a drive through liquor store w/ beer.
  30. If the pumps were filled with craft for my growlers, then count me the fuggin
  31. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Nothing over 3.2 ABW is sold cold in my state. Gas stations here do not sell craft.
  32. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Aficionado (240) Nevada Jan 26, 2011

My quick response is that I'm all for it. Was helpful when leaving KC and trying to pick up some Boulevard stuff. It was well stocked outside the airport at a gas station when filling up my rental.
  33. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

And Oregon.
    chimneyjim likes this.
  34. I actually prefer and enjoy the experience of going to my favorite beer store and shopping for beer.
  35. I've rarely lived near a gas station, convenience store, or grocery that's sold beer. I guess I'm just lucky. So I'd be delighted to buy any beer at a gas station, not to mention craft. Even with those options, there's still a role for specialty shops carrying a deeper and wider selection of craft beer and the knowledge that goes with that.
  36. i would love to buy any beer at a gas station around here
  37. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

My local gas stations have been getting a better selection. Even take requests.
  38. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I'm amazed at the high percentage of folks that are against the idea of a gasoline convenience store selling craft beer. Amazed because the only opinion I can think of that makes any sense is that having it available may lead to increased drinking and driving. But no one has chimed in with this opinion to explain it. Yet even that opinion makes no sense because the question wasn't whether to sell alcohol of any kind at gas stations, it was whether to sell craft beer.

The only opinion against so far I actually understand is from the fellow with the Paul Terry avatar, who lives one county south of where it is possible to get growlers filled at gas stations in NY, so it is just jealousy;)
  39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Three of the best craft beer places in Austin are in gas stations... East 1st Grocery (where I buy most of my beer, since it's near my work), Barton Hills Food Mart and Sunrise Mini-Mart.

E1G (as we call it) is the real deal and the owner (Sam) even posts on BA. He knows his shit and stocks the hell out of locals and hard-to-find beers. New brewery rollout? He's probably got 10 cases of it the first day it is out. The other places... meeeeeh. More often than not I go and there's someone working that has no idea what they're selling.

Houston's ONLY bottle shop (D&Q Beer Station) is also in a convenience store (no gas though). Brandon (the owner) has an amazing store down there. For the recent Prairie rollout they had something like 30 cases on the first day it was available (to give you an idea of the size of their audience down there).

Admittedly, I almost never get gas at any of these places, lol.
  40. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

AS always it depends on how you define craft. I seen Bluemoon as gas statons for years now in the South.
    As always though I am a value buyer, if a store has the beer cheaper, well then I go there. Unless of course the trip eats into the savings...

In the old days I used to make runs to Orlando, while it was 6 hour round trip, It would save me cash in the long run. Lucky now we have most of the beer I enjoy locally. I only buy gas at sam's clubs, lol. My hybrid goes forever on 1 tank.....