1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer at Gas Stations: Do you want this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ohiobeer29, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Would you be excited if your local gas station carried craft beer?

1. yes

475 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. no

75 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Dusty6467

Dusty6467 Aficionado (140) Texas Nov 16, 2012

Down here all the major gas stations carry the "crafty" beer crap made/outsourced by AB or MillerCoors. I just picked up a Blue Moon Mountain Abbey Ale for $9 a 6er since it was the only decent looking beer and it tasted like coors light with a shot of vodka in it...
    We need good quality craft beer in every gas station and sellable location in the US.
  2. Arctic Panzer Wolf and a big bag of Nacho cheese pretzel Combos? Yes please. Everything a growing boy needs!
  3. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Savant (415) Indiana Feb 21, 2013

Exactly!!!!!
    ThomasMetal75 and Premo88 like this.
  4. Higy

Higy Aficionado (235) Indiana Feb 9, 2012

I was working in southern OH, near WV line, and visited a gas station with a brew thru (i love seeing these because they don`t exist in IN. Anyways, they were selling growlers to go, awesome! They had a few very local brews but also had BMC available (i couldn't resist a chuckly), why not?

More accessibility the better...let's not be a bunch of hipsters and get up in arms when our favorite beers get more mainstream.
  5. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

You can't stop at a gas station in Wisconsin without finding New Glarus in the cooler. I find nothing wrong with that.
  6. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (590) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I would buy more standard lineup craft beers for convenience at a Gas station/convenience store as I know they would still be decent beers most likely. If I'm constantly find 3+ month old Firestone Walker, Stone, English and German beers etc. at the most reputable craft beer store in my area, why would I trust fresh craft beer from a conveince store/gas station owner?
  7. Noelito76

Noelito76 Advocate (525) New York Oct 30, 2004

In Puerto Rico I depend on gas stations to get craft beer, so yeah why not. My same freshness standards will apply.
    ThomasMetal75 likes this.
  8. beer at a gas station? what is this fantastical foolishness?

must be nice to see anything. IF... I could get beer at a gas station (while not away on vacation) I wonder how long the craft beer would sit and never sell. Besides, I pay at the pump and rarely go in the station. Well, beer would get me to enter more!
  9. www.freemybeer.com
  10. Honestly what's cool about this idea is that it could introduce more people to craft beer. While a typical beer drinker may never wander into a beer store that specifically focuses on craft beer, if they see a new and interesting beer while at their local gas station they may be inclined to give this beer a try.
    Spikester likes this.
  11. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (430) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

thanks for keeping this going guys this thread keeps getting better with more info that's added
  12. I miss being able to grab beer at a gas station back in NY, Pennsylvania really needs to get a move on this.
  13. KentT

KentT Aficionado (205) Tennessee Oct 15, 2008

Being able to buy singles of many a craft beer at a gas station has made it cheap and easy for me to try new beers.
  14. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I think I said this before In Germany on the autobahn, you can buy beer, wine. liquor and petrol. Still you do not want to drink and drive. :D:rolleyes:

I never not seen a store in the south not sell beer. Some even sell good beer.
  15. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I can barely trust my local craft stores to keep fresh beers in stock. No way I'm trusting any IPA at a gas station to be fresh.
  16. Every Sonoco station down here has a growler station and bottle selection, with mostly legit craft. They've had this for a couple of years now. I have yet to get any beer from them. Instead, I go directly to the breweries (Westbrook, COAST, or Holy City) or the Charleston Beer Exchange. My thing, is I don't know if they clean their lines and how long a beer has been there. It's probably snobbish of me, but that's how I roll.
  17. ZionNation

ZionNation Initiate (0) Arizona Jun 24, 2013

not only do gas stations in AZ sell craft beer, they have taken it a step further, gas stations in AZ are starting to offer growlers. On Christmas day with all other stores closed and me jonesing for something hoppy, I drove down to my nearest gas station that offers growers, I had noticed they had Sierra Celebration on tap. So I go in there and the Sierra is gone and replaced by a bunch of crappy local beers. I asked the clerk about it, and he says nobody bought the Sierra Nevada and they sent the keg away half full. I ended up buying nothing.
    azorie likes this.
  18. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (405) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

You people outside of NJ are spoiled. We can only get beer at liquor stores. I'd love the convenience of getting a full tank and a nice 6 pack
  19. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (405) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

That is actually exactly what it tasted like.
  20. timmy2b

timmy2b Savant (440) New York Jan 24, 2007

I have craft stations at gas stations. 6 or 8 beers on tap and one of them is always decent. There are also quite a few six packs, mostly local stuff (southern tier, Ithaca) which is nice if I am too late for my regular beer store.
  21. craftaholic

craftaholic Savant (380) New York Jun 14, 2009

My local gas station just did an overhaul of their beer collection.. bombers, mix six, variety cases. what used to reach the outskirts of magic hat and sam now include founders, southern tier, troegs, and stone
    Spikester and azorie like this.
  22. I live near a gas station that had 25 oz corked and caged bottles of ommegang abbey on the shelves for about 6 months. It wasn't moving well at their price, so one day I walked in and it was on the clearance rack for $1.99 per bottle. A little age on an abbey ale can't hurt, so I grabbed a bunch of them...
    utopiajane and azorie like this.
  23. Rback

Rback Aficionado (160) New York Feb 26, 2012

Is this the sound of the bubble bursting
  24. I know of a gas station/food mart in an affluent housing community that sells Pliny. Too far a drive for me, but I've heard they've got quite the selection. Based upon their geographics and typical incomes in this golf community, I wouldn't struggle at all purchasing there. Next time I drive through I'll take a better look, but I do know people that have purchased there and were stoked.
  25. Ah!!! Nothing like a growler of fresh Bud on Christmas morning!
  26. Tirefan

Tirefan Aficionado (175) Virginia Nov 9, 2009

Not sure if it's been mentioned but sam's quik shop in Durham fits this concept completely, except it's more of a bottle shop that you can buy gas at.
    c2mcclel likes this.
  27. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

No, it is not. It is the sound of businesses expanding.
  28. But can you pick your own six pack or do they chose for you when they pump your gas.

That was the damnedest experience my first time in Jersey.
    Givemebeer likes this.
  29. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

Colorado's weird liquor laws won't allow real beer to be sold at most gas stations (only 3.2), however there is one in Golden where they've opened a liquor store inside a gas station. Not sure how they worked that, but I went there the other day on my way home and they had a pretty nice craft selection. I'd rather go to the real deal but I had no issue with this.
  30. I say put craft beer in every gas station.
    Spikester likes this.
  31. I say put craft beer in every gas pump. I'll take $20 of Sucks on pump five.
    kabritz, Hermthegerm and surfcaster like this.
  32. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (345) Texas Jan 25, 2012

I had to take a business trip to Oregon a couple of years ago. When I finally got to my hotel it was pretty late. There was a gas station sharing the same parking lot as the hotel. I stopped to fill up my rental car. When I went to pay I found a full section of craft beer inside. I was thrilled to be able to grab a 6 of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale ale and bring it up to my room. So my response is a resounding yes.
    Spikester likes this.
  33. hwy395

hwy395 Aficionado (235) California Jan 20, 2012

I can't believe no one has mentioned Bend, OR. Growlerguys are big there w/ 30 taps at the gas stations and car washes including Boneyard Hop Venom, FW Double Jack, Union Jack, Sculpin and too many other awesome beers to remember. One wall is the taps one wall is the Armor All products at the car washes. At the gas stations, they are offering free tastings, even at 7:30 AM and bits of jerky on a plate to cleanse your palate between tastings
    ( I assume )
    Here's the kick...$9.99 growler fills ( anyone's growler, their own, Russian River, Drakes...etc ) and a coupon in the local paper for free growler with 8+ gallon fill up.

I was so afraid I was going to wake up.

The gas station ( note Chevron reflected in the glass ):

[​IMG]

The car wash:

[​IMG]
    TaborTime, SShelly, kjlcm and 7 others like this.
  34. dave10mm

dave10mm Zealot (95) California Aug 3, 2013

we do here in so cal!! a hangar 24 DIPA to go! or stone Ruination, maybe a Sierra nevada torpedo bomber!
  35. I don't mind it - the more choices the better for the consumer IMO. But ultimately I'll make the decision to buy based on factors I always have: selection that suits me, freshness, convenience & pricing.
  36. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Was in Charleston back in October and found the Charleston Beer Exchange. Great place (a little small)! On our way out of town we stopped at a Sunoco and was completely surprised when I saw all the taps. Almost thought of buying some just out of novelty.
    JISurfer likes this.
  37. I swear that New Glarus could easily distribute to the entire Midwest with the amount of beer they put out. Lucky for us Wisconsinites, it all stays here. That means kegs of NG in every bar/restaurant and bottles in every location that sells beer.
    steveh likes this.
  38. some people don't have craft beer at their gas stations? you poor, poor bastards.
    beertunes and Spikester like this.
  39. i grew up in NJ and had 3 beer/liquor stores within 5 blocks. then I moved to PA and have 1 case only store for 15 + miles.

Count your blessings.

Oh yeah, your hours/pricing/distro are better too.
  40. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

We have a gas station about a mile away with great craft beer. Usually the only place I can BCBS. Doesn't bother me at all.