1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer at Gas Stations: Do you want this?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ohiobeer29, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Would you be excited if your local gas station carried craft beer?

1. yes

475 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. no

75 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. colforbin73

colforbin73 Savant (310) California Mar 30, 2010

reluctantly voted no.

this is a dumb thread again.

the big cali brands are ubiquitous here. i drink my share of all for sure. but there is no ADDED CONVENIENCE to me that i could buy a "generic craft" at the gas station. in fact the valero super store in my "town" has lagunitas and maybe even a stone, def an SN or 2.

i buy beer with food generally, least of all with gas.

what i would like is a place within 10 miles that has a kick ass selection.... i have to go at least 15-20 miles to get a good variety and see some new things. i have a bevmo and the grocery store. oh great, the gas station also has an ipa.

think more HIGH END.
  2. Spikester

Spikester Savant (425) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

Oregon also has attendants that pump the gas.
  3. I saw Palate Wrecker on tap at a Sunoco in New York once. Blew my mind.
    colforbin73 likes this.
  4. Spikester

Pliny? So that is why we don't get it in Oregon any more?
  5. mjc255

mjc255 Zealot (75) Pennsylvania Mar 17, 2012

Regarding the entirety of the thread: tl;dr (Judge if you must. 240+ posts is past my tolerance.) Maybe I'm duplicating thoughts here-

But regarding the presumed spirit of the OP, this is, overall, a positive trend. With caveats. There is a gas station in my hometown (central NY) with a selection that is almost unmatched compared to even the most specialty of shops near my current location - well cared-for stock and knowledgeable staff that lend credence to their beers. But I've also come across their antitheses whose storage and attitudes would probably steer the unknowing away from craft beer if their shoppers were less savvy than most reading this.

So, in good hands, I think a god mom n pop stock is great for those who want access in more remote locations. In worse hands, maybe not the best. But more knowledge will come as craft beer spreads to more gas station-y spots, so I think this is nothing but good news for all who dig on quality.
  6. Spikester

I haven't seen any growler fills at gas stations in my part of the state as yet. Maybe the law that says growler fills are an open container? If you have a car with a trunk you can put it in it would be alright but SUV type vehicles would probably not be.
  7. zestd

zestd Savant (320) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Like four gas stations in my immediate area do fills now.
  8. firemanmike109

firemanmike109 Zealot (75) Texas Nov 2, 2013

i know of a few gas stations that have an amazing selection of beer. there is a chevron that gets all the hard to get beers in. now for growlers i havent seen a gas station that does that and that would be kind of weird.
  9. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I would imagine this is highly reflective of the market. Here in Michigan, even in smaller towns, it is more than normal to find offerings from Goose, SN, Founders, and Bells.
  10. not in my part of maryland.....washington county doesnt even sell beer is stores or gas stations
  11. Do states have special "gas station only" liquor/beer licenses? Or are they licensed with the rights and privileges as any other off-premise retailer?

Aren't many "gas stations" that sell beer essentially convenience stores that also sell gas? Even if the sign says "Exxon" or "Sunoco" and not "7-Eleven" or "Wawa"? They sell chips, Twinkies, bread, pop,milk and candy, not just beer, motor oil and antifreeze, right?

Don't the same distributors that sell to the specialty beer stores act as wholesalers for these gas/beer stations? Don't they, by law, have to offer any of their available products to any retailer without discrimination and at the same price(s) and quantity discounts?

"Uh, sorry, we can't sell you that beer - you're a gas station. Not my decision, man. Complain to the
    (
    PICK ONE) governor/brewery."
    azorie, sharpski and jRocco2021 like this.
  12. I demand there be craft beer wherever I go. Next stop: schools.
    beertunes likes this.
  13. Instead of selling beer at gas stations, let's sell gas at Bevmo and Total Wine.
  14. colforbin73

colforbin73 Savant (310) California Mar 30, 2010

i laughed but this is not true, or deets.
  15. cwehr13

cwehr13 Savant (345) Illinois Aug 4, 2011

When I was at police academy, the gas station down the street from the hotel we were staying at had build your own 6 packs with a decent selection. It was nice but down the street there was major liquor store.
  16. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I just bought a four pack of Breakfast Stout at a gas station. Convenient, since most of the good nearby liquor stores are closed on Sundays, and I happened to need gas as well.
  17. I think there are vast geographical differences in gas station selections across the U.S. In North Carolina, specifically Raleigh, We have craft beer at nearly every gas station in town. Some more than others but their are a few with outstanding selections. I've seen everything from DFH to FBS.
  18. Absolutely yes! When I was just in florida they had sweet water, cigar city, southern tier, dogfish, and others just in their gas stations it was fantastic! CHEERS for that
  19. No joke. Sunoco in Syracuse.
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

No, next stop, the gun shop. It would make shooting days simpler if I could grab my clay pigeons, .22 bricks, and a couple boxes of .45ACP wadcutters, along with my shootin' beers!
  21. Eurso16

Eurso16 Disciple (55) New York Apr 24, 2013

this, and craft beer starting to make its way into super markets now (at least on long island) is going to just drive some of the smaller beer distributors and home ds out of business., which is a shame because they are the ones that carry the rare, limited, hard to get releases, not the gas stations. IMO, the gas stations and super markets will only carry "mainstream craft" which will make the beer all of us love hard to find. Let the super markets stick to bud, miller, coors, and leave craft out of the gas stations and supermarkets, 711s etc. i dont mind going a bit out of my way to give business to the small business owner. they have a better selection then any gas station ever will and most of them are great beer people, and you can learn to have a great beer conversation with them.
  22. DaltonC

DaltonC Savant (300) Idaho Oct 10, 2013

23. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I don't know about the distribution questions, but it puts another question in my mind. What about the growler fills? I thought the majority of states a growler has to be brewery specific (if that's the right term). So I couldn't fill a TreeHouse growler with Jack's Abby beer is what I mean.

In MA, the convenience store/gas station combo is pretty common. The conditions within said establishments is hugely variable. New ones are obviously new and usually nice these days - containing coffee shops, even a Subway or other sandwich joint. Older ones? All over the board in terms of being clean and well-maintained - some make the dump look good... In that regard, I would be in the "it depends" camp.

Also in MA there is the annoying habit people have of filling the vehicle using pay at the pump, then leaving the vehicle to spend 15 minutes in the store picking out lottery tickets or buying whatever. Adding perusing the craft beer cooler... Polite people move their ride, but this IS Massachusetts.

I think if the distributor managed the inventory it would be OK. I don't think I would trust most of the stores of this nature around here to be able to do that, much less maintain tap lines.
  24. sicilian

sicilian Aficionado (240) Florida Sep 30, 2008

I rarely go into the Gas station store when getting gas (pay at pump) and certainly wouldn't stop there just for beer so I can wait in line with the 12 lawn maintenance crews and other folks buying their cigarettes, .50 hot dogs, Monster energy drinks, $5 on pump number 7, and lotto tickets. #Elitistrant
    chinochino likes this.
  25. jcos

jcos Aficionado (205) Maryland Nov 23, 2009

I'd be happy to see beer at grocery stores and better overall pricing.

Thank you, Montgomery County, MD!

3 grocery stores in the entire county have beer, and the county is the "distributor" so prices are awful. Like 13+ for a six pack of Lagunitas IPA awful.
  26. grantcty

grantcty Aficionado (235) Minnesota Feb 17, 2008

Wisconsin's way ahead of you. :)
    beertunes likes this.
  27. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (540) California Jan 23, 2013

My neighborhood gas station carries Sucks in both formats, gets Enjoy By when it comes around, and has carried Cafe Racer 15, Racer X, Aroma Coma, Hopocolypse, Brown Shugga, Daytime, Celebration, Dayman, w00tstout... Seriously, if they carry one or two nonBMC beers, just start talking to them about their inventory. Most places will order what you want if they can.
  28. jburd19

jburd19 Savant (450) Ohio May 14, 2013

wheres this at? sounds around my area but not familiar with this place
  29. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

There is one outdoor store here in town where you can grab a sixer. Very limited selection in beer, some BMC and a bit of Red Hook, but a nice choice of firearms. http://www.yeagerssportinggoods.com/?page_id=111
  30. I recently sampled Mountain Abbey and have no idea where you pulled that description from - I actually thought it was pretty good! Not great - good - but I detected neither Coors Light nor vodka.
  31. Right on - to do so would be in direct conflict with proported 'advocacy'.