1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer Bars in Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by Flaviking, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Flaviking

Flaviking Aspirant (45) Mar 29, 2012

Hey all,

First time poster here. Heading up to visit my brother in Raleigh this weekend and looking to maybe check out a couple of craft brew bars. I already have The Flying Saucer on my list, love that place, but are there any others you can recommend?
  2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

In downtown Raleigh, the same general area as The Flying Saucer are a couple of other good places in order of my personal preference:
    1. Raleigh Times Bar
    2. Busy Bee Cafe
    3. Tyler's Taproom (just opened, have not tried it yet)
    4. Boylan Bridge Brewpub (beers are OK, nothing special)

Also, you are not too far from Big Boss Brewing which has a taproom - not sure what they are currently pouring as I have moved out of the Raleigh area (like 8 months ago) but they have some very good brews that they do not bottle.

If you are interested in picking up some beers for consumption at your brother's place, I would recommend hitting up the following stores:
    1. Peace Street Market
    2. Tasty Beverage Company
    3. Whole Foods

Have fun on your visit!
  3. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Tasty Beverage should be in the top spot of those options. Also, around the corner from Whole Foods is Ridgewood Wine & Beer. Not as extensive a selection, but good guys and the best prices around.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Tasty was just opening when I moved out of the area so I did not have much chance to check it out (only a single visit)... Basing my recommendations on the places I frequented when I was living in the area.

Also, if you happen to Taylor's Taproom you might also check out Seaboard Wine - not a huge selection but often a few gems to be found and not a lot of beer drinkers think to check the place out (last year they were the last place in Raleigh to still have Founder's Breakfast Stout).
  5. We're actually celebrating our 3rd anniversary at Busy Bee on Thursday! We're tapping a bunch of barrel aged beers including Olde Hickory Jack Daniels barrel aged Death By Hops, Mikkeller Tequila Black Hole, Mother Earth Silent Night, Foothills bbl Porter, 2010 Terrapin Wizard, Founder Backwoods Bastard, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, Thirsty Dog bbl Orthus Dubbel, & Thirsty Dog bbl Siberian Night. If you can't make it Thursday I would imagine we'll still have several left on Friday.

Also agree that Tasty is light years better than Peace Street as is Bottle Revolution!
  6. JDBADBH!!! Sounds tasty.

I 2nd the Raleigh times. Get the guacamole while you're there.
  7. Don't miss either Raleigh Times or the Busy Bee, both are head and shoulders above Flying Saucer in terms of special release beers that they have on tap. Both have excellent food as well.

My girlfriend and I will absolutely be at the Busy Bee birthday party on Thursday night.

No one has mentioned Brewmasters yet, so I'll throw their name into the hat as a pretty solid craft beer bar that is close to Flying Saucer. While I prefer it to the Flying Saucer, don't skip my first two suggestions in order to go there.
  8. The Pit also has some good special beers on draft and in bottles and they are right across the street from Tasty.
    wolfeman007 likes this.
  9. Flaviking

Flaviking Aspirant (45) Mar 29, 2012

Thanks Everyone! Sounds like this is going to be a great weekend!!
  10. Hit Tasty (6 taps, and they always have something great on), and then head to the Bee. You can check out the Times right around the corner from Busy Bee. That's the best of Raleigh IMO.
    OSUBeerStudent likes this.
  11. Lots of great places mentioned. I'd also like to recommend Ridgewood Beer and Wine. Great tap selection (my favorite in Raleigh) and nice place to sit and have a beer.
    wchollif and StoutMaster77 like this.