1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft beer by the numbers article

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by vic311, May 16, 2012.

1. vic311

vic311 Aficionado (105) Illinois Jan 28, 2012

2. kexp

kexp Savant (265) North Carolina May 10, 2007

Good basic read. Especially the data about the WBC results.
  3. Interesting but . . . . I would like to see "progress" reports on breweries that opened in the last 5 years. Are they still operating, are they expanding, etc. I believe this would be a better measuring stick than just reporting numbers and percentages. Or better yet, how about a statistic that measures the success percentage of new, start-up breweries and brew-pubs. Now that would be interesting and perhaps helpful for budding brewers [no pun intended].
  4. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

5. It's plain to see from this data that if you want to get into the craft beer business, you're better off opening up a microbrewery rather than a brewpub.
    Mavajo likes this.
  6. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Probably has something to do beer being so much cheaper to drink at home.

I drink enough beer to make a Viking cry, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 2-4x retail price just for the fucking privilege of sitting in your restaurant/brewpup while I do it. I'll drink at home, thanks. Eliminates the risk of a DUI, too.
  7. I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 2-4x retail price just for the privilege of sitting in your restaurant/brewpup while I do it. I'll drink at home, thanks. Eliminates the risk of a DUI, too.

There's a time and place for everything, especially beer. I also prefer to drink at home, but there are times when I want to go out or find myself in front of a brewpub and all I can hear is "drink me". As far as the DUI/DWI problem, since my wife doesn't drink I have a designated driver but then I have to drink alone [never bothered me anyway].[/quote]