1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer Cellar to open store franchises throughout New England

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Todd, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Livin' the Dream and changin' the world, one beer at a time

Belmont, MA - July 31st, 2012 - We are extremely proud to announce that in deciding to expand what we once called the "little beer store", we have realized the most successful way to accomplish this is by franchising Craft Beer Cellar. We are deeply committed to retail Craft Beer access and education, across New England and the United States. In making this change, we have officially moved over to Craft Beer Cellar's new mantra and path - "no crap beer", which is our new web address, and where you will find every store in our family, including updated inventories!

Our immediate goal is to open three stores by the end of 2013, with our initial focus being on Lowell, Swampscott, Chelsea, and Needham, Massachusetts. Thereafter, we will concentrate on the remainder of New England. We will work very hard with our current distributors to ensure that access and product availability is as good as it is right here on Leonard Street, and we'll do so by being the same great partners we've been since the day we opened our doors!

Craft Beer Cellar began exploring how to grow and expand, only months after we opened, still having no real idea of the impact we would have (and continue to have) on the people who walked through our doors. After our first year, we knew that, personally, opening even one or two more stores could take years, given the very hands-on nature of our mission. In our quest to continue to educate and honor the Craft Beer consumer, we decided the only way to get it done, in any timely fashion, was to implore other like-minded humans to join us. We'll search far and wide to find you, but rest assured that if you want to open your very own Craft Beer Cellar, you must be a Beer Geek who loves people!

About Craft Beer Cellar
    Craft Beer Cellar was founded in 2010 by Kate Baker and Suzanne Schalow with a passion, drive, and commitment to continuing the development and growth of the Craft Beer Segment, by focusing on beers that have taste, excitement, and a great story. In addition, we are also dedicated to beer education and hospitality. We pride ourselves on creating an experience for both novice and extraordinary Beer Geeks alike, in our retail 'bottle' shop, and have proudly become Boston's favorite retail Craft Beer destination; an honor we take very seriously!

http://www.nocrapbeer.com

###
    cruzmissile72, DrEntropy and Ganglani like this.
  2. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Awesome news!
  3. Looking forward to having you in Swampscott.
  4. Interesting choices for new locations.
  5. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Is this a typo, or are only three of those four locations expected to be open by the end of 2013?
  6. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I posted the press release as sent.
  7. Yeah I found that funky when I read it too. I guess they are saying to any interested franchisee these are the four locations we would want you to pick. We hope to have three franchisees up and running by the end of 2013..

At least that is how I am reading it..
  8. emannths

Well, hopefully it's a typo on their part. I'd check their site, but it looks like it's overloaded at the moment.
  9. Great news. I look forward to their arrival in Needham. Franchising a package store is an original concept . . .
  10. emannths

Isn't that the concept behind all the Kappy's in MA?
  11. wow I figured there'd be at least one south shore location
  12. http://www.kappys.com/about.html

Franchising a package store is an original concept . . . to me.
  13. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Nov 27, 2008

Chelsea, really??
  14. jomobono

jomobono Savant (390) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

I was hoping to see something in the Merrimack Valley as it is a bottle dead zone. All my friends in family in that area will be pleased. It looks like they have some big ambitions:

http://www.nocrapbeer.com/locations.php
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  15. Heh, nothing south shore, eh? Sigh.
  16. I said in the earlier thread that Needham would be a pipedream and I guess it's not that crazy an idea. It might be the store that doesn't open in 2013, since the vote for allowing package stores in Needham doesn't happen until November and it might be a while before all the legal red tape is dealt with (assuming it passes). I might have to start my own 'get out the vote' campaign.
  17. Thanks to everyone for all the good words and commentary! Just to clarify any confusions, Craft Beer Cellar does, indeed, plan to open three stores through our new Franchise Agreement, by the end of 2013. The locations that we have been looking at are not set, exactly, as there are some things that are out of our control, like liquor licensing. Needham, as mentioned is still a dry town, but yes, there will be a vote in November, and we have every reason to believe it will pass, and we think a Craft Beer Cellar would be a great start for a place like Needham. Of the other areas mentioned, we think there is great potential in these places, which is why we have been looking at them, very closely. It's also very, very important to us that we not get up in the middle of what another store, with a great or even good craft beer selection, is doing - this movement / industry needs all the help it can get. Peace, love, and amazing beer!
  18. Well they recently changed the chain law that will allow more liquor stores to be connected as a chain. It used to be a maximum of 3 stores of a chain could get liquor licenses, but is going up bit by bit the next few years to like 9 I think. Makes franchises a bit more of a worthwhile endeavor.
  19. Wow - no love at all for South of Boston. :(
  20. Odd as it may be for someone who manages a craft beer focused shop on Cape, I really would like to have more shops like Craft Beer Cellar around. Probably would make it tougher for us to get stuff as a shop but as a consumer it'd be nice to have more options. Then again maybe with more craft focused shops Cape Cod will finally start to wake up to the movement.
  21. Needham (assuming the actual vote passes) is an excellent choice.
    mschofield likes this.
  22. Yeah, I used to work at kappys in sudbury and it was a franchise, just the name and rot gut store brand booze.
  23. Yeah, seriously. Maybe some day. I don't like having to drive nearly an hour to get Saison Du Pont in brown glass.
  24. Lowell is, by far, your best bet. The people craving a good beer store around here would keep it busy at all hours!
  25. Hey!
    JCTetreault likes this.
  26. This
  27. if you're not trying to compete, i'd move on from Swampscott as Vinnin does a pretty bang up job for craft offerings. maybe you'd be better suited in salem or beverly? Also, just playing devils advocate here, but what exactly do you get by being a franchisee? it seems to me, anyone with the drive to open a package store and loves craft beer can do the same thing...it all really comes down to merchandising, and making it not look like a typical package store. dont' most people buy into a franchise for their marketing budget?

just curious. regardless...good luck! i enjoy your belmont store whenever i find myself down that way.
  28. No need to move on from Swampscott! Competition is good for the consumer. If they did want to slide over to Marblehead, no big deal. You're more likely to find HT then any selection of craft beer in my town from what I've seen! I haven't hit up Shubie's yet though.
    wdarcy77 likes this.
  29. jomobono

30. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Because it's a cool mill town that I've seen get increasingly built up over the last decade with some interesting bars and restaurants in a developing downtown. Also, there isn't much in the way of a solid beer store and it's situated within easy proximity of 495 or Route 3. Ever been or are you just snarking based on reputation?
  31. I've been several times and it's always come off as a shit hole to me.
  32. jomobono

Yeah, Lowell has had it's history of being shitty but it is getting better, they are doing a lot to renovate those old mills into nice apartments. I think give it like 10 years and you'll see a big change. But the entire Merrimack Valley is pretty much a bottle shop dead zone, I'm always having to get stuff for my friends in Chelmsford.
  33. Where in Chelmsford are you picking stuff up? Whenever I'm in that area I head to Tyngsboro to the Liquor Shoppe.
  34. jomobono

I am picking up stuff at Julio's for my friends in Chelmsford.
  35. EParry84

EParry84 Zealot (80) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2010

What about Andover Liquors?
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  36. Ahh got ya! I was wondering if some place opened up that I didnt know about. Like you said, the Merrimack Valley is a bottle shop dead zone! lol
    jomobono likes this.
  37. jomobono

They are lazy, what can I tell you.
  38. jomobono

My Dad said a new place opened up in Billerica Center where the Blockbuster used to be and it might have a descent craft section, I'll have to check it out next time I am there.
  39. Andover Liquors is without a doubt the best in the area. Great packie, but without any real competition its easy to be the best.