1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer Confessions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Stinkypuss, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Simply put, what's the craziest thing you've done to get in a great craft experience or particular beer. For me it was convincing my friends it was worth it to drive a few hours to Ohio through the snow just to get me some three Floyds. And yes, it was worth it. I'm sure many BAs have similar and even more extreme stories, lets hear them.

2. I have to drive by the local mall to get to total wine.. If you have been to Winston-Salem, you know that's risky dedication.

3. About three years ago, I convinced my friend to drive 645 miles to get me a handful of Colt .45 Double Malt bombers!

4. Drove 3 hours to Kernville with the wife and one-and-a-half year old kid to get some Citra DIPA - with the flu...only to find out that they had sold out the day before ;)

BlakeBelsly and JxExM like this.
  5. I heard there were cases of Bourbon County Stout stacked up at a Jewel-Osco in a rough area in Chicago...when I got there they had about 30 cases just sitting there...I left with 3 cases...MSP to CHI and back in under 24 hours.:confused:

Jnorton00, jglowe77, josephwa and 7 others like this.
  6. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

That's hardcore man! I salute you.

7. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

The craziest was getting up at 4am, driving through 3 states, and standing in line in the cold for 3 hours for the Westy release.

Cookeeman likes this.
  8. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Why would you do that?

crushedvol and ehammond1 like this.
  9. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Samezies.

10. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Then I took his beer.

mecummins, EdTheEdge, ao125 and 9 others like this.
  11. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (460) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

Man, Hanes mall is really not so bad. I thought it was too, until visiting other parts of the country.

12. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Mine was an insidious plan. I spent years getting my wife into craftbeer, constantly making her try new things. She now loves it. Now all our vacation spots must include some great breweries.

luwak, jglowe77, DanK4 and 2 others like this.
  13. Squidly

To see my foes driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women...

Obviously.

luwak, jglowe77 and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  14. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

My ol' lady couldn't believe I'd spend as much on a six of Sierra Nevada, as I would a twelve of Milwaukee's Best.

15. You're right it's not as bad as large cities. However, in cities, people can drive. It is scary the things you see in the car around here.

16. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Not crazy really, but I drove nearly 10 hours to visit DFH, then drove to the brewpub in Rehoboth Beach, THEN drove (4 & 1/2 hours) to Williamsburg, VA. Same. Day.

17. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

3.5 hour detour back through Montreal to hit up 3 different depanneurs and stock up on everything Quebec beer before making the 8+ hour drive back to Portland in the snow. My girlfriend even picked up the tab at one spot because we got mostly stuff she was interested in and I decided why not.

18. Me and a buddy got on a 7am ferry from Victoria to Vancouver, then took two buses and a skytrain to get to Central City Brewing, for their Imperial IPA, which we weren't even sure was going to be available. Turns out it was, and we lugged 4 growlers of it back to Vic in a duffel bag by the same route.

2 Ferry trips = 4 hours, $30. 4 Buses & 2 Skytrains = 2.5 hours, $5. 4 growlers of IIPA = $90. Trip I'll remember forever = Priceless :)

19. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Since June I have been buying my favorite beers(3floyds,Revolution, NewGlarus, Half Acre, Pipeworks and Goose Island) and loading up my car and driving around the country sharing them with brewers from some of my favorite breweries, bartenders, state troopers, Tire America employees, liquor store employees, random people I meet at breweries, bars and gas stations, local BAs, bar cooks, cops and hotel emplyees. I have met some amazing people and the Beer Karma has come back 10 fold. I want others to experience this and tell their stories. For each story told I will match it with one my own and hopefully we can spread Beer Karma and take beer sharing to a whole new level. Gone will be the days of horders and what emerges will be a beer sharing comunity that has never been seen before. Cheers to to you my BA brothers and sisters! Fitz

20. I have been doing that for years, sharing a great beer with a stranger that appreciates it is priceless. This year I bought 34 bottles of KBS, traded 6 had 4 for myself and shared the rest. Also showed up at a local bar with some fresh Pliny, HT and Lunch for a mini tasting with the staff. Most of the beer I have traded for has also been shared with others, and as you mentioned it gets paid back. I have been given random beers like Westy, HT, etc out of the blue so it is all good.

21. Man, that sounds like so much fun! Ill stop short of saying I wish I was childless and single, but I wish I had gotten into craft beer and had money before I got married and had kids. Wouldn't trade what I have, but wish I could have had this experience!

Luckily I made my family young, perhaps when the kids grow up the wife and I can travel the country sharing awesome beers. Wines too, we also love wine. But not as much as beer. The finest wine is not as satisfying as the finest beers :)

22. I was on my way home the other night and needed beer. I had to exit 1 mile early for the new bevmo on my way home. Firestone Walker XVI was $24.... so I got 2 bottles and another two bottles of lagunitas cappuccino stout to go with it. My normal 20 minute drive home was 28 minutes that night. Crazy.

EdTheEdge likes this.
  23. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Only 3? Slacker!:p

2beerdogs likes this.
  24. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Which brings up a question: If you killed a man in Reno (in Nevada), why did you you get sent to prison at Folsom (in California)? An exchange program, ya know like when a Swedish teenager comes to live with ya for a year?

2beerdogs likes this.
  25. I salute those that have gained enough beer karma for ten lifetimes.

I try in my way, but will find it hard to match the awesomeness I have been shown by BA's throughout the world so far!

26. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

All the 'driving' tales here reminded me of visiting friends and family in Michigan and going a little out of the way because I wanted to visit the Bell's brewery - without doing any research other than an address on my gps I had visions of a brewery tour, tasting room, etc. - only to find out when I got there that Bell's brewery is just that -a brewery - in the backwoods of some corporate park - no retail, no admittance beyond the front desk - the girl working there was a little surprised at my 'expectations', but kindly directed me to the store and cafe 30 miles away in Kalamazoo - which was nice - my wife did some well deserved eye rolling on that trip -

luwak and 2beerdogs like this.
  27. Squidly

Another story. Last Thursday we got 16 inches of snow in northern NY. Next morning my wife and I got up and left the house at 8am (after getting stuck in the driveway for an hour.) We drove to the Grand Isle ferry, and after crossing into VT, cruised down 89 to the Alchemist cannery. They ran out of Heady shortly after we arrived, so it was perfect timing on our part. Bought a case and a half, and thenwe bushwacked it over to Hill Farmstead (an hour+ drive on small, snowy roads.) We JUST managed to beat the crush of growler fillers. Then it's back to the ferry, back to NY, where enjoyed the spoils of our labor. 8am-5:30pm total triptime.

Why? Because we care.

luwak and 2beerdogs like this.
  28. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Ouch, you're gonna lose a supportive partner.;)

29. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

My buddy said he would never drink Blue Moon or any other beer under the umbrellas of BMC. I poured a bottle of Blue Moon Spiced Holiday Amber into a pint glass and told him it was Hoppin Frog's Frosted Frog. He guzzled it and never knew the difference.

LarryAppleton likes this.
  30. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (610) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

In one day I drove 5 hours round trip from MSP to Duluth to get 5 Fitger's Barrel Aged Edmund Fitzgerald bombers. Completely worth it! Especially since they had it on tap when we arrived :)

31. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Troll lol

32. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Hmm. My girlfriend isn't into craft beer, yet our vacation spots still always include great beer (think Vermont..). I wonder how long she'll stick around haha:(

Squidly likes this.
  33. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I suggested to the owner of a local bar to have a "silent" release of Pliny the Younger. The "silent" part was that the announcement of the release would go out 1 hour before the tapping. He liked that idea and let me know ahead of time of when the tapping would be so I could plan accordingly.

Stinkypuss likes this.
  34. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

He really does, though.

35. Rode my bicycle 108 miles (from Flemington, NJ, to Hershey, PA) to drink at Tröegs.

luwak and beertunes like this.
  36. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

I like this thread! Thinking of what to write brings back plenty of good memories. When I was in San Antonio my buddy and I would knock off of work early and go hit up breweries, take tours, or volunteer to help bottle. While not crazy my favorite experience was watching an amazing thunderstorm from a rural farmhouse while sharing several incredible brews as we waited for the rains to die down.

Quite possibly the craziest thing I've done solo was "detouring" through Albuquerque on a trip from Texas to San Francisco but the Elevated IPA from La Cumbre made it all worth it!

37. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Trading. Crazy story, I tell ya.

38. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I've put up with my tasting group, a pack of unwashed assholes, for 4... long... years.

39. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Driving coast to coast twice (four weeks total on the road!) in a giant van a few years ago and NOT going beer shopping along the way because I didn't realize what was out there. Oh if I knew then, what I know now... :(

Cookeeman likes this.