1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft beer in Brazil

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Zeilon, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Zeilon

Zeilon Aspirant (35) Sweden Oct 10, 2012

Hello,

I have a chance to get some beer delivered to me from Brazil so I figured I would try and find the best brazilian craft beers. I prefer imperial stouts/porters (or normal stouts/porters), well rounded barley wines or hop heavy IPAs.

So any suggestions would be welcome :)

And also where in Porto Alegre can I get these beer? I need to be able to buy them locally so suggestions for good local beer shops would be appreciated.

I was thinking maybe:
    Colorado Vintage Black Rapadura (imp stout)
    Colorado Vixnu Imperial IPA
    Colorado Demoiselle (porter)
    Wäls Petroleum (imp stout)
    Baden Baden Tripel
    Baden Baden Stout Dark Ale
    Bodebrown Perigosa Imperial Milk Stout
    Bodebrown Perigosa Imperial IPA
    Biertruppe Vintage Nº 1 (BW)
    Xingu (schwarz)
    Eisenbahn Defumada
    Schmitt Barley Wine
    NeedBeerMN likes this.
  2. pedrufa

pedrufa Aficionado (110) Brazil Sep 19, 2007

Hi ;)

So, you have a nice list, but unfortunately some of them were brewed once or are limited releases: Biertruppe Vintage, Colorado Black Rapadura and Baden Baden Tripel. The good news is that Colorado is brewing the Black Rapadura again (it`s named Ithaca now), but only for the USA market so far (and its named Guanabara outside Brazil).

I`d recommend Vixnu and Wals Petroleum. Both probably can be found in Porto Alegre in bars or stores. I used to like Schmitt Barley Wine, but I havent tried it again in years and it used to be kinda too sweet. My gf loves it.

Baden Baden Stout and Red Ale (which is actually a barleywine) can be found in supermarkets, as Eisenbahn's Defumada (it's named rauchbier in Brazil). Colorado's Demoiselle and Indica are usually easily found also.

The south has a very nice beer scene and lots of bars with micro-brewed/homebrew. You might find Bodebrown over there, but it's not a sure shot. Anyway, I really do like their Imperial IPA, and also their wee heavy and hop-weizen. I think they are not bottling the milk stout and I`ve only tasted it on tap.

I'd recommend Season, since they are from Porto Alegre: Green Cow (IPA) and Cirilo (stout). They have other bottled brews, but I never tried those (an amber ale and a belgian blonde). It seems they are already selling an aged RIS, but the price seems quite a bit high for me (around 18 US for a small bottle). And also Way Beer, from Parana. They just released a single-hop APA kit and a double APA which I heard is pretty good. I also like Bierland's Vienna as a session beer.

There are also a few other good brewerys, like Abadessa or Bamberg (which is actually from Sao Paulo, but they are found in several brazilian states), but they focus more on german style (and they do it very well). There are other local micro like Whitehead and Coruja, but I can't comment much on their quality. Wals brew quite a few interesting belgian style ales (quadrupel, dubbel, trippel, a witte and now a limited saison with pineapples, coffee, lemons and some other ingredients). They also have an interesting bohemian pilsen that is totally out of style, but is a saaz heaven ;)

The best store in Porto Alegre might be Costi Bebidas (I just checked their online store - http://www.costibebidas.com.br - and they do have most bottles I mentioned and also Bodebrown).
    The store at Tristeza seems to have more variety. If you're interested in bars also, just let me know.

Matriz: Rua Santos Dumont, 752 – FlorestaFone: (51) 3396 3396
    Filial Zona Sul: Rua Doutor Barcelos, 910 – Tristeza
    Fone: (51) 3072 8080
    If
    ZacJay likes this.
  3. pedrufa

Oh, you might be interested in Backer's 3 Lobos series: I tried their Pele Vermelha American IPA with orange peels and their Bravo Imperial Porter (aged on Umburana barrels) and they are quite good :)
  4. Zeilon

Zeilon Aspirant (35) Sweden Oct 10, 2012

Wow, amazing answer! Thanks a lot! :)

I hardly thought I would get this kind of information, but it's nice to meet a fellow beer connoisseur.

I already found and checked out Costi Bebidas as well online and it seems to be my best bet :)

My girlfriend who is there now said she managed to find Wäls Petroleum, but I'll ask her to check for the others :)

Again, thanks! :)
  5. pedrufa

No problem :)

I hope she can find them all! Enjoy!