Craft Beer in Honolulu

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by MVP09, Mar 30, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (425) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Got a family member in town. Staying near Rainbow Drive-In and the Zoo. Any suggestions on where to pick up Hawaii only beers? Looking for cans primarily because it has to make it back to Massachusetts just easier for packing. Also west coast only stuff. I heard Hawaii gets Deschutes

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (390) California Jul 1, 2009

Isn't there a Whole Foods in Honolulu? They should have all the islands beer there. Maui Brewing would probably be your best bet for island brews. And yes they do carry some west coast beers. Mainly in the Oregon and northern Cali brews. If you want to sit down and eat and drink beers then the Yardhouse. Aloha.

3. MVP09

My mom is visiting my grandma who lives in Honolulu. So gonna have her bring back beer. Wish I was there to go to Yardhouse

4. MVP09

Thanks

5. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (260) California Nov 25, 2010

Just left Oahu. I enjoyed Tamuras beer selection in Kailua near the Marine base. Side street inn ale from Rogue was a stand out. Had a lot of Hawaii only Morimoto beers also. Check it out.

6. Hardcore

Hardcore Savant (305) Hawaii Jun 24, 2012

There's a Tamura's Fine wine and liquors near where your family member is staying. It's on Waialae ave. They have a website and facebook page. Right now they have Hop Henge from Deschutes, and the Liquor Collection still has some Abyss. There is also a Whole Foods at the Kahala Mall which also very close to where your family member is staying. As stated above Maui Brewing is your best bet for local beer in cans. Right now there is the Aloha B'ak'tun out. Hope you get what you're looking for.

7. Resuin

Resuin Champion (915) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Fujioka's Wine Times is about a mile inland from the zoo/rainbow drive-inn and has a good selection, here is a list of other stores as well:

Beer Stores with best selection, in order (in my opinion; these are all great stores though):

1. Kailua Whole Foods - 629 Kailua Rd #100 Kailua, HI 96734
    2. Honolulu Tamura's - 3496 Waialae Ave. Honolulu, HI 96816
    3. Honolulu Whole Foods - 4211 Waialae Ave #2000 Honolulu, HI 96816
    4. Honolulu Fujioka's Wine Times - 2919 Kapiolani Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96826
    5. Kailua Tamura's - 25 Kaneohe Bay Dr. Kailua, HI 96734
    6. Aiea Tamura's - 98-302 Kamehameha Hwy. HI 96701
    7. Honolulu Liquor Collection - 1050 Ala Moana Blvd Honolulu, HI 96814

Deschutes distributes to HI - there may be some Dissident and Abyss left, but it is just about gone. Collage is definitely still around and awesome.There is still some Barrel Aged Bigfoot around I believe, but it might just be at bars, if at all (Pint + Jigger? Real Gastropub?).

Maui's Coconut Porter is good and is in cans, along with all of Maui's beers. If you're looking for Hawaii beers in cans, Maui Brewing Co. is the way to go. Hawaiian Islands Brewing Company in Honolulu makes a really good Barleywine (IMO) so if you could get a growler of that I'd recommend it. They don't bottle/can though.

Lots of good Belgian beers in Hawaii too.

dvnbtn likes this.
  8. MVP09

Perfect all info has been great! Probably get some Maui stuff and a bomber of Deschutes

9. Thanks, man. I'll be referring to this post for info when I hit up Honolulu next month.

Resuin likes this.