1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Craft Beer Makers Could Get a Chance to Sell Their Product At Massachusetts Farmers Markets

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by JCTetreault, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (325) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

Great news! Let's keep an eye on it and once the bill gets introduced we can contact our respective reps to support it.

JCTetreault likes this.
  2. dfecteau

dfecteau Savant (415) Massachusetts Jun 10, 2009

This would be great!

3. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Every little bit helps, I guess, but of all the beer laws to liberalize, this is pretty low on the list for me.

Edit to add: come to think of it, I'd be curious what the Mass Brewers Guild's legislative priorities are and what progress has been made on them. Other than the farmer-brewer license dust-up and the never-ending work to level the small brewer/wholesaler playing field, I've heard very little about their goals.

4. EParry84

EParry84 Zealot (90) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2010

As a regular consumer at farmer's markets I can say that this would be an awesome thing for craft beer. If it works for wine then why not beer.

5. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Does anyone have experience with the pricing of wine in store/winery vs. at a farmer's market?

6. If MA will allow samples at the farmers market then this will be a win! Customers, even product friendly ones, like to try things first then buy. In the southern NH farmers markets I've seen as well as the feedback from wine makers I've spoken to, not being able to sample has meant that the sales are not enough to justify a weekly presence at these farmers markets.

7. Most of the farmers markets that I've been to sell wine at the same price as retail stores. If they were to sell it cheaper, they would undermine their wholesale customers. In addition, it gives them an opportunity to give samples which is big.

8. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

If someone would actually have the balls to offer discounts for brewery-direct purchases, both brewers and retailers might realize that a discount of a few bucks won't turn package stores into ghost towns. But no, instead we have breweries that say they "value their fans" but happily pocket every last dollar. One of the few exceptions here is CBC, where bombers of their beers are usually about $1 less than any packie.

9. Wow what non-news (not offending the OP) .

Agree with e-man, if the MCBG prioritizes this & growler fills as "top" issues - lame. Many more substantive issues to be addressed IMO. Like on-premise brewery sales, breaking the published price nonsense, turning over failed Happy Hour regulations, having clearly defined small brewery laws, & breaking down distributor regulations. Shame they cater to the the small (but vocal) crowd's wishes.

10. Would make SOWA much more fun.