1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer on Cruise

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hippityhophead24, Jul 18, 2012.

1. So my wife and I are going on a Carnival Cruise to Mexico in September. I've heard and assume that they have all the bud, miller, and coors products one could want, but do they have anything else? OR has anyone ever attempted to sneak any beer on a cruise ship? You are allowed 1 12 pack of drinks per passenger. I was thinking about getting a 12 pack of Mountain Dew and taking them out, then putting Sierra Nevada Pale cans in there...then put a hot glue stick to it to seal it back up. Any non sarcastic feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers!
    Duff27 and HopsJunkiedotcom like this.
  2. We snuck plenty of vodka on last time. I am sure you can pack up some beer in your suitcase.
  3. Your idea about sticking the SNPA into the Mt. Dew box and glueing it shut made me laugh out loud. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Godspeed.
    bifrost17 and HopsJunkiedotcom like this.
  4. I mean...I really think it would work. I could maybe even leave two cans of Mt.Dew where the case handle is just in case anyone see's the color difference.
  5. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I've been on several different lines and they always had several "macro craft" like Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, or similar. Worse case you'll end up with Dos XX or Guinness or Bass.

Or go with the regional theme and just get margaritas and such.
    Duff27 likes this.
  6. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

You can bring beer on, it's no big deal, they don't care. Just put it in your back pack and run it through the little scanner thing like they have at the airport, they're more concerned about weapons and shit than beer. I've done it numerous times.
  7. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

We took a carnival cruise last year (Mexico/Jamaica/Grand Cayman) and I seem to remember that Sam Adams, Guinness and (gulp) Blue Moon were the best choices available.
  8. Those three choices are waaaay better than bud, miller, coors, wine coolers, and whatever other malt beverages they have.
  9. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Duff27 likes this.
  10. Nice pic! I'll keep everyone posted when I get back. Thanks!
  11. I did a Euro cruise a few weeks back on NCL that had Orval, Franziskaner, Paulaner and a few other better cruise beers. I was quite impressed.
  12. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

13. I've been on quite a few Carnival cruises and the menu posted by BigGene is correct. Some of the ships are offering a Carnival private label beer, "Thirsty Frog Red", on draft. It is brewed by Bud . . . and there are a few reviews on here. The choices are not very good.

Also, for alcohol, Carnival only allows 1 bottle of wine per person when you embark on the ship. Your idea with the Mt. Dew might work, it just depends on the security personnel you get. They can be a little more lenient when you are getting back on the ship at ports-of-call. Have a great cruise!
  14. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I was on a Carnival cruise a few months ago, and the beer options were pretty dismal. I would have been happy with just Sam Adams, but Blue Moon was usually the best available option.

As mentioned, you're allowed to bring one bottle of wine (but not beer) on board. I brought an Old Numbskull in a wineskin as my "wine" and security gave me no trouble - it's a 750ml, looks similar to a wine bottle, is corked and even say "barleyWINE" on the bottle, so whoever was on duty would have to have been pretty beer savvy to catch that it wasn't a bottle of wine.
  15. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

you can check the web sites of most or just call them, but most I talked too have said NADA. of course it depends on what your looking for, I can drink blue moon all day. NP:)

as a old navy guy you never catch me on those foreign flagged ships.
  16. Nice. I thought about doing that. But my wife doesn't drink beer so she gets her two bottles and I get my 24 cans. :)
  17. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

This was the menu I took a pic of when we went to Mexico in November.

[​IMG]

Cheers!
  18. I gotta agree, sitting on the deck of a ship or on a beach, nothing is better than a Margarita or a Rum Runner.
  19. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Definitely do the mountain dew trick with two twelves. Never have done it myself but I would in a heart beat if I was in your shoes
  20. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I thought about bringing a couple of 750s of beer instead of the allowed wine but ended up smuggling plenty of vodka instead. I think it was the best idea in the long run. I did miss drinking good beer for a few days but what the hell, you are on vacation!
  21. I brought 2 bottles of champagne on my honeymoon and got no hassle either so corked and caged beer may work.
  22. AaronBurr

AaronBurr Savant (270) Illinois Dec 17, 2011

So how is Corona an import in Mexico?
  23. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

And how is Jameson Irish Whiskey a Scotch?

Really all the scotches they have listed should be in the blends and bourbon section, but the jameson is just silly
  24. AaronBurr

AaronBurr Savant (270) Illinois Dec 17, 2011

25. So Im taking a cruise on Royal Carribean soon. I had some plans to sneak on vodka, but my girlfriend freaked me out with a FAQ email she sent me about the possibility of being disembarked (what a trecherous word too) if you caught attempting to bring alcohol on. It did say you are allowed to bring two bottle of wine, with a $25 corking fee, goddamn! I guess the FAQ response freaked me out enough to not try to sneak anything on. I mean I really dont see them ever not letting someone on the boat for that, but the threat alone is enough to scare me. I'd given up on beer on the boat a while ago, but some of the things youguys have been mentioning have been solid. Anyone travel with Royal Carribean in the past and has insight into their beer options?
  26. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Holy shit, cruises love to spit in your face with the beer prices and lack of selection... then again, most places do that.

Sucks that you can't bring booze on ... if that's true. Eesh.
  27. Bet a new wife and vacation in Belgium ;) Seriously though just try to bring something and deal with what is available.
  28. I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska. I read the "we may refuse to let you on if you choose to try and sneak alcohol onto the ship". I was worried, and am in no way advising anyone on what to do...here we go.
    I spent a few days in Alaska before the cruise. As for when we boarded, I had an Alpine Nelson bomber, and several Midnight Sun bombers stuffed in my shoes in my suitcase. No problem. My bags arrived in my room with the bombers inside. I have a pic of me reading a book while enjoying a Nelson on the balcony of my cabin.
    I also bought a CASE of Alaskan Smoked Porter while docked, and brought it on the ship. I asked repeatedly at the front desk if I could do such a thing, and got varying answers. I actually pissed off a front desk worker, stating "apparently you don't know the answer to the question I am asking, is there someone here who can help me?"
    When I walked onto the ship with the case, I put it on the belt, and said nothing. The two guys in security smirked and acted like I was doing something wrong, but they were kidding. When questioned, I said I had asked several people at the front desk if it was okay, and they said yes. And I wasn't going to drink any of it on board, it would be left in my room the night before we left. And it was.
    I will never advise going against the rules of whatever the heck it is you are doing, but do you really think if you paid a few grand for a cruise, they would not let you on for smuggling a bottle of beer on board? Just my 2cents.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  29. This. The wife and I have been on numerous cruises (including a few with RC), and we have never had a problem sneaking beer on. Just make sure to put it in your carry-on. Actually departed from Tampa on a Caribbean cruise a few years back, and we had at least 6 or 7 bombers of CCB in our bags.
  30. Fact: sippin' beer at sea is a time-honored tradition. :)
  31. I really don't think so, but even the thought of it is somewhat scary.
  32. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (540) Illinois May 19, 2008

I brought some C&C bottles mixed in with a case of wine and had no issues on Holland America. Also had no issues purchasing beer when the ship was stopped and bringing it back on.
  33. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Abandon ship!
    gkatsoris likes this.
  34. Disney Cruise Line allows you to bring any alcohol you would like onboard. Spirits, beer, wine. No charge unless you bring a bottle of wine into a dining room and then they charge a corkage fee, of course.
  35. If you want to bring liquor on board, check out Rum Runner flasks. We've had great success with them when packed into our clothes. We've also had success with beer and wine when we mix them in with our naglenes/camelback bottles. I guess under the xray, they appear close enough in size to not matter.

A friend who tried to bring a handle of rum in her checked luggage (idiot) just got scolded and they held the bottle until the end of the trip. Unfortunately, she didn't have to walk the plank.
  36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Wow, is it so bad to go a a cruise where you can't get craft brews, that you'd consider bringing your own? I can live with Sam Adams or Miller Lite quite easily for a few days, and not worry about lugging my stash with me. My wife already suspects I'm nuts when she looks at my stash, but humping it in a suitcase on vacation would ice that cake.