1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beer Scene Kansas City?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bryanbullock, Apr 4, 2014.

1. I just moved to Kansas City from Washington DC, the craft beer scene is hopping in DC, both with restaurants and bottle shops. I have been looking in Kansas City and I just can't find the same caliber of craft beer. I am hoping I just can not find the right stores. Can anyone help?

2. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

http://www.craftbeerkc.com/
    This site is your friend.

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  3. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Stick with the higher rated stores listed in the directory & you should be fine. I did find the lack of good brewpubs up there suprising. Enjoy the BBQ & way more relaxed people/traffic/lifestyle than DC...

4. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Savant (300) Missouri Dec 8, 2013

Bridgers Bottle Shop in Westport. Just opened. Thank me later

5. I just went to bridgers, I was pleased, got some good stuff, some prairie artisan ales. I also heard that Kansas not Missouri gets Oscar Blues. Does anyone have a location for some Ten Fidy?

6. Also thanks Russ, that site really is helping. Do miss some east coast brews though.

7. russpowell

I've heard it's in Wichita, not sure if it is closer.

8. Pardon my ignorance but how far is Wichita, from KCMO?

9. russpowell

I want to say about 2.5 hours, but I might be a bit of a speeder ( not recommended in KS )

edit: 2.5-3 hours...

10. CowsandBeer

That's weird that Wichita would have it in cans, since in Topeka we were told we didn't get any cans because it was out of season. They brought some kegs over, but that's it.

11. russpowell

Sometimes Goebel's gets some stuff first or least it seems that way to me. Not sure. Not sure if it has to do distributors or what???

CowsandBeer likes this.
  12. jmfitz

jmfitz Aspirant (40) Missouri Jul 7, 2013

My family still lives there and I visit quite a few times a year. I travel quite a bit for work and comparing KC to a lot of other cities out there, I think they are doing pretty well... I'd say it's definitely one of the cheaper beer scene cities out there.

You may have come across this already, but I always check out this page before a visit. Great info too:
    http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com

CowsandBeer likes this.
  13. CowsandBeer

Probably man. Distro politics (who gets what and why) are beyond me. :confused:

russpowell likes this.
  14. JeepCop

JeepCop Aficionado (245) Kansas May 16, 2010

Oskar Blues is in Lawrence as well. :)

15. russpowell

Bryan, I would go hit Freestate in Lawrence & then scarf up some OB some day off in the future...

CowsandBeer likes this.