Craft Beer sneakers? New Balance "Real Ale" shoes

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by boothbeer, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boothbeer

boothbeer Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

cool shoes but way too much for something that really is not any more interesting than something off the shelf....I guess its like beer.....give it a good story and some hype and it will be better for many.......I can run longer faster and jump higher with these already......I hope the box looks like a keg or the shoes come with a nice glass.....

Yes....I think its fine for non beer companies to branch out....why not?

Enjoy

3. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Pooh-Bah (2,009) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Cool marketing idea across two industries to promote one another with a local feel. The consumer (who has the money to buy the shoes) wins.

I was fortunate enough to own a pair of New Balance Made In England shoes once, purchased at a steep discount. I can say they were of very high quality. Now if only I could afford to go to England and get some of that locally made real ale...

4. alex_delany

alex_delany Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 New York

This collaboration (or something of its sort) was bound to happen sooner rather than later. NB is constantly collabing with brands outside of their industry.

Additionally, I find it quite appropriate that sneaker-heads and BAs have found some common ground. Although the demographic and subject matter may be different, sneaker and beer enthusiasts are quite similar in the way they approach and acquire hard to obtain items. A sneakerhead's acquisition of a limited edition pair of Jordan 1s is comparable to a BA's acquisition of a personal Whale. The two cultures are actually quite similar, in terms of trading, information digging, and developing a taste. I think it's pretty rad.

5. fearfactory

fearfactory Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Very nice looking kicks, just need a hide away bottle opener in the sole.

6. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Wheaties was NOT first. Not by a long shot. Someone in the General Mills marketing department is good friends with the guys at Fulton so they decided to do, like, the one millionth craft beer collaboration product.

7. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Those black ones are quite nice. I used to be a sneaker collector before I got into beer. I had over 100 pairs at one point in time. Hobbies are weird.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  8. GamehendgeBrewingCo

GamehendgeBrewingCo Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Massachusetts

When are those lambic-flavored condoms hitting stores?

Awolter, sonoma01, MrDell and 2 others like this.
  9. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,081) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Nice gimmick.

10. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

Those sneakers look pretty sweet! Better than the Ramones Chuck Taylors.

11. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Would these be shoes to visits breweries in? But seriously, this sort of cross-marketing is intriguing, and takes a bit of creativity to pull off convincingly. Well done, NB.

12. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Pundit (895) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Thank God someone has finally made some shoes for the discerning beer lover.

These Oskar Blues cans I'd strapped to my feet were starting to kill...

13. Treyliff

Treyliff Grand Pooh-Bah (4,711) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Did anyone else have every color of those New Balance shoes back in the day? :sunglasses:

14. gonzo000

gonzo000 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Massachusetts

When the beer starts to skunk does it smell like feet?

LuskusDelph likes this.
  15. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Indeed so!!

Almost as gimmicky as beer itself has been getting recently. :grinning:

16. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not sure how true it is but rumor has it that the idea originated when Oregon-based Nike approached nearby Rogue Brewery about doing a similar collaboration --- but Rogue wanted to do it using the sneakers as an ingredient (hey, WTF, they're "Imported" after all). Not a lot of info about those trial batches, other than random tasting comments like: "Nice Lacing!"

sharpski and beerjerk666 like this.
  17. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

Budweiser had shoes about 25 or 30 years ago with their logo all over them. The treads read "BUD" backwards on them so when you would walk in dirt, etc., the logo would show up. Everywhere you walk you would be leaving tons of free ads for them!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  18. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.