1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft beer vs micro beer? The difference?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

2. You'll be better off going to the source - the craft brewers organization - the Brewers Association and use their Craft Brewer definition and Market Segment breakdown than those two outdated (the B.A. "small brewer" volume limit is now under 6m bbl) and erroneous* opinion pieces.

That is not to say that the B.A. definitions are universally accepted within the industry or among the greater beer drinking community, but they are a good base from which to start.

* This "Huh?" quote, from the second link, for instance:
    Somehow the author of that piece got that out of the much different B.A. "Traditional" definition:​

3. I struggle to come up with any definition of craft beer. It can't mean brewing with care because nobody takes more care than the big guys. We are left with some subjective notion of quality but quality is also a matter of interpretation and opinion.It might mean brewing on a small scale but 6 million barrels a year is a vast undertaking.
    The all malt criterion is a bit of a red herring; many world class beers use adjuncts or sugar to achieve the desired characteristics.

4. airforbes1

airforbes1 Savant (250) New York Oct 27, 2010

To define craft beer I use the definition Justice Potter Stewart used to define obscenity: "I know it when I see it." Or taste it. Or something.

frazbri and Brunite like this.