1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Craft beers in Thailand??

Discussion in 'Asia' started by manjanai, Nov 28, 2012.

1. manjanai

manjanai Member

I'm going to Thailand next year and I was wondering if there any where American craft beers available in Thailand??
  2. shyhenry

shyhenry Member

Not really. If you search hard, you'll find stuff from Rogue or some of the more common Belgians.

I recommend you forget about beer while you're in Thailand. Embrace the amazing culture and scenery, knock back a Chang, and have fun.
  3. beerpirates

beerpirates Member

There's a Belgian beer pub ( and restaurant ) in Chiang Mai that has a good selection of Belgian beers !
  4. manjanai

manjanai Member

Yeah, I heard there is HOBS, house of beers, but they mainly serve begian.
  5. drewmprs

drewmprs Member

There's a few small German brewpubs in Chiang Mai.
  6. WadeKClark

WadeKClark Member

There's a company importing American beers from Rogue and Anderson Valley. Check out www.seekbeervana.com they have a list of restaurants around Bangkok serving the brews.
    Number 1 Bistro in Chiang Mai has an impressive selection of Belgian beers. It's in the night bazaar area off of Loi Kroh Road.
  7. krouge

krouge Member

Not exactly. There was one the outskirts of town but it recently closed its doors forever. At the moment there are no brewpubs in Chiang Mai; unfortunately imported beer is now the only game in town.
  8. CraftBeerAsia

CraftBeerAsia Member

9. aschwab

aschwab Member

I was in Bangkok a couple of days ago and walked past a place called "The Game" that advertised to be the craft beer bar of Bangkok. It is just off of Nana on the BTS line.

They had 4 beers...2 rogues and 2 anderson valleys....all for the price around $12/12 oz bottle. Needless to say, I was thirsty and needed an IPA. I ended up with a Yellow Snow from Rogue, which was not worth it, but so worth it after drinking that many mediocre beers for so long.
  10. krouge

krouge Member

In Chiang Mai at a restaurant called The Duke's, 12 ounce bottles of Rogue and Anderson are going for 210 baht (US$7.15). Still not cheap compared to European imports but luckily not as obscenely priced as the $12/bottle in Bangkok that was mentioned above. Drank the Rogue Mocha Porter there but since they also have Fullers London Porter at 180 baht per 500ml bottle I'm not sure that I'd buy the Rogue again the next time that I visit.
  11. comets55

comets55 Member

There're 2 places that I think their craft beer is very good and brewed on site:

1. Est33 in Crystal Design Center (CDC), Bangkok. They have 3 beers that brewed there seems to me they are Lager, Copper ale and white ale (i don't called it wheat because it taste to me like Lager). My favorite one here is Copper ale as it is the most hoppy beer they got. I assume IBC around 15-20.

2. Full moon brew works in Jungceylon shopping center, Phuket. According to them, they have 3 beers as well. Phuket lager, something like Nut brown ale and American style wheat. I was upset because when I got there, their Phuket lager was out, but they got Green beer, what amaze me was the point that they used fresh "Pandanus" leaf to bring put the light green color and aroma. I met with the head brewer, he said he used only natural ingredient. However, my favorite one is Wheat beer here. In fact, very great nose and finished and they used tangerine peels and other herbs from King's project.You can rarely find any wheat on draught in Thailand.

Hope it helps.
    ManforallSaisons likes this.
  12. Stick to Chang Beer, most imports end up tasting rancid because of be stored in hot conditions. Drink local.
  13. krouge

krouge Member

I disagree with that. German imports such as Paulaner and Weihenstephaner are usually fresher here than in the US. And Chang is not only swill, even after a couple of Changs most people get a headache. It's so famous for that that they have a name for it, it's called a changover. If you must drink local, my advice is to stick to the Leo. That's inoffensive and cheap.
    HRamz3 likes this.
  14. But thats the fun with Chang. sometimes it is 5% and other times seems near 8% :) It also makes a great shandy.
  15. krouge

krouge Member

There are three different versions of Chang that are commonly sold inside Thailand. Two of them are advertized to be 5.0% ABV and the other is advertized at 6.4%. While Chang might have quality control problems in their breweries that cause some variation in ABV, I don’ think that it’s the ABV that causes the hangovers. I say that because I can’t think of any other beer with an ABV of less than 10% that gives me a hangover after only a couple of 12 ounce bottles.
  16. jlelouer

jlelouer Member

Try Wishbeer (www.wishbeer.com), they have a huge selection of beers and deliver anywhere in Thailand.
  17. nicks6217

nicks6217 Member

I just spent 2 weeks in Thailand and ti be honest if your going in the summer than just stick to Chang, its a god sent after a day spent in traffic and humidity.
  18. krouge

krouge Member

I find Chang to be horrible but I agree that it's not worth the trouble to seek out American craft beers in Thailand, especially considering their exorbitant prices.
    HRamz3 likes this.
  19. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Member

Chang is best only for cool graphic T-shirts... Leo is OK but Singha is by far my choice, and perfect with the food. Anyway, I'm back in this forum because I'm planning another trip out there so grateful to know about some of the other places out there that are at least trying.
    HRamz3 likes this.