1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Beers only available in New England?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by one4truth, Dec 27, 2012.

1. one4truth

one4truth Initiate (0) Pennsylvania Jan 14, 2011

I will be up through New York to CT,MA, and Maine in mid January and wanted some tips on where I can get a bunch of goodies to bring back down south. We moved from Philadelphia to Nashville and the beer selection here is really rough! So I wanna stock up. We will be in Boston MA, Wallingford CT, and Scarborough ME. I tried searching for a place that carried a nice variety of Clown Shoes, and emailed different distributors but thought I would reach out on the forum too. and please if you guys have suggestions of good craft thats available up that way I would love some suggestions. We were spoiled in Philly with Dogfish, Victory, Troegs, Wyerbacher and so forth being so close. I loved them all!! Thanks in advance. This is my first time posting but beeradvocate has been my go to site when Im shopping! :) Thanks again

2. stearns16

stearns16 Savant (275) Connecticut Jan 11, 2010

Anything from New England Brewing Co. in Connecticut, Maine Brewing Co., or Jack's Abbey in Mass. are great beers to hunt for when you are up here. Clown Shoes is all over Connecticut and Mass., so you shouldn't have a problem finding them.

3. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Clown Shoes you can find anywhere in NE. Get some Pretty Things and Jack's Abby while in MA too.

When in CT go to New England Brewing Co and fill some growlers with awesomeness.

Get plenty of Maine Brewing Co. beers too.

If you can make it to VT you'll have Heady Topper, Lawson's and Hill Farmstead sorta-available which you will not regret getting.

When in Boston, head to the Belmont Craft Beer Cellar and ask them your original question and Suzanne and Kate will sort you out.

one4truth likes this.
  4. Jack's Abby in MA. Hoponious Union is a must try.

one4truth, tehzachatak and Rekrule like this.
  5. benbking

benbking Savant (295) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

I'm drinking a Mystic "3 Cranes" Cranberry Saison. I suspect you'll only find it in Mass.

6. one4truth

My mouth is literally watering as I read this. Nashville is a whiskey state its so hard to find good beers here. Thank you so much guys I have a list going now!! Anyone see any Evil Twin Femme fatal up there?

7. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

If you drive through NY I would try DeCicco's in Brewster, NY ( http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24327/view=beerfly ) or Ardsley, NY ( http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14132/?view=beerfly ), they get periodic shipments of Evil Twin stuff. Even if they don't have FFB they're definitely worth stopping at if you're in the area and looking for a bottle shop. They have huge selections of all kinds of domestic and imported stuff at those two locations. Also another place that's probably worth stopping at in that area is Port Chester Beer Distributors ( http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8733/view=beerfly)

If you plan on going to New England Brewing Company in CT, Two Roads Brewing, which is like 20 minutes away, might also be worth checking out, they just opened in Stratford, CT. And if you're in that area you can check out Amity in New Haven, too ( http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2047 )

one4truth likes this.
  8. Mayflower from MA is solid as are the offerings from Pretty Things (also MA). New England brewing company is definitely the best that CT has to offer in terms of craft beer. Not sure which highway you are taking, but they are right off the Merritt parkway. Also, if you're in Wallingford, CT, check out Valencia package store in Meriden, it's the next town over. Cool people and a solid selection. On a side note, I've seen plenty of clown shoes offerings there.

Dools9 and one4truth like this.
  9. Ipswich Oatmeal Stout.

Dools9 and SunDevilBeer like this.
  10. one4truth

What about any pubs in the boston area? Anyone have a suggestion of a place to go with good food and good beer?

11. aorloski

aorloski Savant (380) Massachusetts Oct 11, 2010

kendall/MIT area: meadhall / cambridge brewing / lord hobo

allston/brookline: sunset grill and tap, deep ellum, publick house

downtown: stoddards

my favorite being hobo, deep ellum and publick house

brikelly, one4truth and tehzachatak like this.
  12. mklisz

mklisz Advocate (655) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2010

I saw some Femme Fatale at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA a couple weeks ago. Might wanna give them a call to check if they still have it.

one4truth likes this.
  13. ....Or anything from Ipswich. Their winter mix 12 pac has both the Winter Ale and the Rye Porter, as well as the Ipswich Ale. All worth bringing home.

one4truth likes this.
  14. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

New England Brewing is quite close to Wallingford. Man, what a cheesy website. The money clearly goes into the product.

In the Boston area, Cambridge Brewing Company is well worth a trip for beer & food. CBC makes good beers for this season; Bannatyne's Scotch Ale & Charles River Porter are outstanding. Many of their beers are now available locally in bottles. Jacks Abby's Hoponious Union lager is becoming a signature beer for Massachusetts, and there are many other good local offerings (Ipswich, Pretty Things, Mayflower, etc).

15. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

IMO skip Clown Shoes. They're really nothing too impressive. Jack's Abby, Slumbrew, Mystic, Idle Hands, Maine Beer Co, Allagash, Berkshire Brewing, those Are the ones to go for.
    Besides that, if you have time to kill, CBC, Publick House, etc are the places for a meal and a pint or 3.

16. I second this, really good stuff and one of my favorites.

17. If you're staying in Boston a couple good stores to check out are Charles St. Liquors and Boston Wine Exchange. Both have great beer selections. There's lots of good stores outside the city, but it depends on where you're staying.

Up in Maine check out Tully's in Wells, ME.

18. For Maine...

Drive 15 mon north of Scarborough to Portland.

I'd recommend trying local stuff at the Great Lost Bear (perhaps a flight or two). Lots of choices.

For bottles to bring back... the owner of Bier Cellar is very helpful. RSVP has a great selection as well as well. Both carry some Evil Twin.

You could also schedule a free brewery tour at Allagash and pick up a case of their House Beer which is only available at the brewery. If you like sours, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have a coolship beer for sale.

If you're looking for a more worldly beer geek experience, check out Novare Res or Ebenezer's pub.

There's much more info on Maine somewhere in this forum, think the thread title was "Visiting Maine?"

Suggestions on local beer:
    MA: Jack's Abby, Pretty Things
    ME: Allagash, Maine Beer Co

I bet you'll see much more from other states that don't see distribution to TN... Check out www.seekabrew.com to get an idea of what might be available. (Cascade, Firestone Walker, etc)

Conversely, you can also use that site to see what beer you have access to that others don't (Duck Rabbit, New Belgium, Fort Collins, etc)

shueyy and one4truth like this.