1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Breweries with the most outdated-looking websites.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thecheapies, Jan 21, 2013.

1. I was doing a little research on the hop profile of Stoudt's Double IPA and went to the Stoudt's Brewery website and had to navigate through this.

I can understand some of the smaller brewpubs like Cascade not having an qualified web designer working behind them, but established breweries?

It got me searching for other examples of sites that need revamped.

It almost figures that Weyerbacher's could use some work.

Any other big-time offenders?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

With Facebook and Twitter being the most effective way of reaching their customers most of the breweries with ugly sites probably think why bother. I'd rather them just focus on making good beer anyway, ever dollar paid to web design is taken away from other aspects of the brewery.

3. There's been a few threads about this and they are always enjoyable. There are some bad websites out there!

4. Who needs a website? I do my research straight from the bottle.

5. czfreeman

czfreeman Savant (455) California May 22, 2007

Two Brother's is pretty bad. I was talking to one of the brewers there and he even mentioned it how bad it was

6. I can agree with you there, and I hope that's the case anyway.

Still, in some cases, it's nothing that two and a half hours and a free blogspot account couldn't improve.

Revenant and Handle like this.
  7. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Mgm54, fredmugs, JulianB and 5 others like this.
  8. Second that for Two Brothers.

9. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Until several months ago Hair of the Dog's website easily took the cake as most outdated site. They've since revamped it and it looks great, but hopefully someone has some old screen grabs laying around to show off the old school glory.

afrokaze likes this.
  10. Did Russian River recently revamp theirs, too? The 'bottle logs' section used to look atrocious, and they were almost never updated.

11. Cascade is bad all around marketing wise. Such classy beer and the presentation makes it look anything but.

12. Daktah

Daktah Savant (300) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

Duck-Rabbit. Looks like the first week's assignment of a web design class circa 1999. Some of the "News" is also a bit dated - look for the upcoming release of Wee Heavy Scotch Ale in April 2006.

Great beer though, which may be a result of attention paid to the brewing and not the website.

http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/index.html

cyrushire, Handle, JulianB and 6 others like this.
  13. This and this. I mostly complain about the lack of the English version.

Also, this. This guys are getting bigger than their website would suggest.

14. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

Three Floyds website doesn't do it for me.

15. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (320) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

2 Brothers, 3 Floyds and Alesmith(looks like it hasn't been updated since 2010).

Most Improved: Lagunitas

All of the named breweries do an excellent job on social media though, and are responsive when you ask questions and do a great job informing their fans.

16. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

17. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

Kuhnhenn's website is pretty bad.

Kerrie likes this.
  18. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Savant (495) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

I love their beer, but Dark Horse may as well mail out a yearly newsletter instead of having a website. I spoke to one of the guys at the brewery this summer about the website, and it is a bit of a sore subject. They have updated the website recently. But as recently as this summer, it was late 20th century quality.

19. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

New England Brewing Company looks like they haven't updated their site in 2 or 3 years. Pretty lame.

NiceFly, Chaney and LeRose like this.
  20. Jonada

Jonada Savant (485) New Jersey May 23, 2012

Lost Abbey's is pretty bad

afrokaze and 2beerdogs like this.
  21. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (345) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

The Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery is quite far behind. Their website is very simple in comparison to most brewery's spiffy websites. Last time I checked, they were mentioning some "new" high gravity releases in anticipation of April 2006!

22. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

EGADS!:eek:

Get some high school kids over there pronto! (to fix the site...not drink the beer)

23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

24. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I went to Three Floyd's website and my computer burned down.

yamar68, beertunes, afrokaze and 4 others like this.
  25. Not a brewery but mine is pretty lame :(
    Lookin' forward to updating it soon

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  26. I HATE the whole Facebook trend for breweries ,bars,and people in general.
    I am anti F/B all the way ... And what is up with posting the minutia of there lives there ?

djsmith1174, adamdd, jl28r1 and 3 others like this.
  27. When I go to a brewery's website, I want information, not entertainment - flashing lights, moving/clinking bottles, annoying music and explosions. I don't want to have to "re-learn" the site every time I visit, wasting my time or have difficulty finding information I'd read before but is now under a new heading or separate webpage (or seemingly has disappeared).

I don't care if the website looked the same in 1995 or 2010 - I'd prefer it. To me, that'd be like being annoyed at an old brewing book I pull off the shelf because it had a hard cover and sewn binding rather than the more "modern" glued or stapled binding and paperback cover.

28. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Eh, I used to be anti-Facebook, mainly because I didn't want to be swamped by people's updates telling me about what they had for breakfast or how glad they are it's Friday or whatever, but I signed up specifically for beer (brewery releases, tappings, when stores get new beer in, organizing tastings etc) and thus far it has worked out great.

You don't have to dump all of your personal info onto the site, it's just a lot of people choose to, but you can have a plain jane page if you want to which a lot of people have if you are afraid of your info being sold.

IMSPEAKNOENGLISH likes this.
  29. I have noticed you can divide most brewery sites into two categories: they ask you your DOB or they ask if you're over 21. I don't know why anyone still does the former. It's not like you're actually going to stop anyone who feels like lying, you're just adding extra hassle to people who aren't.
    Not that I understand what's wrong with a 16 year old viewing a brewery website anyway... but I imagine that's pretty unlikely to change.

WassailWilly likes this.
  31. The annoying "Age Check" feature*, contrary to popular belief is not a law but is part of the Brewers Association's Marketing and Advertising Code:
    • Brewers should require disclosure of a viewer’s date of birth at the entry to their websites
      indicating that a brewers’ products are intended only for those of legal drinking age.
    Probably also in the code from the Beer Institute but I see they changed their website recently and I'm not about to re-learn that site now, just to link to it. :eek:

Tip 'o the ol' beer glass to Anchor and Dogfish Head, among others, who defy the associations' recommendations...

* I was born on 11/11/1911 by the way​
    - over a hundred years old -​
    yet no breweries ever send me a birthday wish!​

32. Surly's website is pretty bad. But I agree with Daktah. Duck-Rabbit's looks like it was designed in 1993.

33. Having all your info on facebook is bad if you need to access the info at work (and your employer blocks it). Also poor tradesites are a buzzkill. Gritty's has a poor graphics library and not much info on their new releases, making it a pain in the butt to try to advertise their products and sell their beer. Hell, half of them are from before their bottle redesigns. Baxter has some excellently designed graphics, but their graphics library is lacking in a lot of areas. Especially if you need picks of Baxter on draft. You'd think they'd have some images, considering their really neat can-shaped pint glasses. I usually have to resort to using grainy photos taken by amateurs and posted online.

So yeah. To some, having a well-updated website is super important!

34. brewbrothers brewery in Calgary has a pretty weak site.

35. Interesting, I had noticed brewpubs didn't do it, so I wasn't sure what all the requirements were. Still dumb.

And DFH noticeably does ask for DOB, but they must remember it in your cookies or something (which is still deserving of kudos). They didn't ask when I visited in my main window, but did when I was incognito.

36. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Came here to post this.

I've never understood this phenomenon. If someone under the age of 21 wants to access the site, all he or she has to do is enter a phony birthdate. As for actually preventing underaged drinking (not harmlessly looking at brewery websites), that's up to the parents, merchants, school officials, and law enforcement.

Kerrie likes this.