1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Breweries with the most outdated-looking websites.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thecheapies, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

2. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

It not outdated per say but Town Hall's website is an absolute nightmare.
  3. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Magic Hat only because it's still hard to navigate.
  4. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (350) Germany Jan 22, 2012

Diamond bear
    Full pint
    Three Floyd's
  5. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

New Hollands web site needs work
  6. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

That website is horrible. You always know what's on the food menu but never what's on tap. Their Facebook page is even worse because they only mention their Indy tap room.
  7. Lawson's is bad. Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery's is good.
  8. Darn tootin' kids and there internet websites with their flashin' lights......
  9. Sure, the beer is the most important thing but websites are about everything else and a reflection on the business as a whole. I go to Brewery websites to find out about new releases, shop for brewery merchandise, get tour info, as well as many other things. And funny you mention research, as I think so many of the threads created here on BA asking questions, could have been answered by just going to the brewery website for the info. Now that I have spoken my mind, does anyone know when DFH Aprihop is released?
  10. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Came in to say the same. I have a little bit of sitebuilding experience and have been tempted to put together a simple site for them. All I ask is that I'm paid with a year's supply of Baltic Porter.
  11. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

The Ska Brewing site is pretty horrid http://skabrewing.com/main.html. Decent music but the navigation and I just find the whole thing clunky and not user friendly.

The Foothills brewing site is just plain bad, The calendar hasnt been updated since October. When I was at Foothills for the SC release, I me the new marketing guy Andy, After I said hello the first words out of my mouth were "your website sucks" he agreed and said to give him about 4 months and it would be totally redone. Lets hope so.
    http://foothillsbrewing.com/brews.html
  12. My response was an attempt at humor. Nothing more nothing less.
    FYI - according to a beer release calendar I downloaded from somwhere - Aprihop is released in March.
  13. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I do the same thing. I don't even have pics of myself on my page.
  14. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Foothills has done a great job lately with social media on both Facebook and Twitter, where before they had very little presence. I've spoken with one of their new marketing guys and think they'll take care of the site soon.
  15. I do understand that and maybe shouldn't have replyed to your specific post but just wanted to make the point that in this day and age, there is no excuse for not having a decent and informative website.
  16. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Maybe it's just me, but I care more that brewers are putting out a solid beer than a really nice web site.
    When I crack open a cold one, I don't sit there and stare at their site.

I care more about:
    1. Tasty Beer
    2. Good Price
    3. Alcohol Content
    4. Easily findable/Readily accessible
    5. How it's packaged
    6. Catchy Label Art
    7. Their Web site.
  17. Why are so many acting like this is an "either or" sort of thing? How much time, energy, and money REALLY goes into designing a decent website?
    GoGators likes this.
  18. :eek: Yeah, you're right - with age, I've lost the need for someone to have to shake their keys at me to get my attention.;)
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  19. OnWisconsin

OnWisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Aug 14, 2012

A brewery getting better each year but really needs help with their site.....O'so Brewing in Wisconsin. Small brewery but hopefully they are able to make a big update to their site. However, as long as they keep expanding with bigger and better beer I am not going to worry about their site too much!

http://www.osobrewing.com/
  20. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (475) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

Beat me to it. My bf and I went recently and looked up the site to see what was on tap beforehand, and wow... in his words, "1995 called, they want their web design back."

We plan on going to Kuhnhenn soon so we've also seen that gem. Ouch.
    tectactoe likes this.
  21. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

As far reaching customers about promotions and marketing I completely agree. There's little benefit for brewers to maintain a calendar of events or a blog on a website when Facebook and Twitter are so much more effective. However, I do like to check out brewers' websites from time to time for reference materials, which Facebook and Twitter are horrible at. For example, occassionally I like review basic info on a brewer's beers, their beer release schedule, brewery hours and tour info [if applicable], and distribution information/contacts. These which don't require a fancy expensive website or significant maintenance/updating through the year and are very difficult to provide through social media.
  22. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-am-under-18-button-clicked-for-first-time-in-his,6396/
    Kerrie likes this.
  23. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

24. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

This all begs the question - what breweries have *good* web sites?

25. Yeah, but can any of the brewery webpages beat THIS webpage, for best result if you say you are not 21?? I think not...
  26. Any website that you can't remember being horrible, IMO.

A brewery website is never going to be a "destination" on the web for most people (outside of hardcore fans, maybe). Its purpose is to provide easy access to information. Most people won't remember the time they needed to look up the release date of a beer on your site, the information was easily accessible, and then they moved on about their day. They WILL remember the time they needed that information and the process was annoying or the design was outdated/ugly/etc.

It's more important to be "not bad" than it is to be "good" on this issue. Websites like Revolution's or Goose Island's probably aren't winning any web design awards, but I've never gone to either site and had trouble getting exactly what I wanted.

And on topic, Ska's website is a chore to navigate for me.
  27. For having the #1 beer here, alchemist's site is like the first week of html class.