1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Cream Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Streaky, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (150) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

Why isn't there more of this? My girlfriend got hooked on the Gansett Cream Ale but we don't see it much around here lately, and then she wanted me to track down more of this style. I picked up some Sixpoint Sweet Action but although it's listed as a cream ale it doesn't say so on the can so she was skeptical! (Hah!).

I haven't brought home Genny Cream yet but I have a feeling that won't go over well.

Anyhow it's a cool, classic style of beer, you'd think now with session beers taking off we'd see more of it. It used to be the #1 style in America!
    hefferee, fmccormi and Providence like this.
  2. mikeburd1128 likes this.
  3. If you're ever in CT, RI or MA grab some Grey Sail Ale. Their flagship is a cream ale and I really enjoy it. A sixer of cans at the beach in the afternoon is a nice time.

Also, on the sixpoint front, Cream Ale or not, I enjoyed Sweet Action quite a bit as well.
    fmccormi and utopiajane like this.
  4. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (400) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Anderson Valley's Summer Soltice is my favorite cream ale http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/23506
    Fall beers are hitting stores now, but there's probably some Summer Soltice on shelves still. I don't think it's a beer that would have to be super fresh anyway as long as it's been stored correctly.
  5. All joking aside, I do enjoy Genny Cream Ale. You get what you pay for.
    palma, kirkse, cyraxx and 2 others like this.
  6. Streaky

Streaky Aficionado (150) New Jersey Mar 26, 2013

Oh I've explored the tab...most of that stuff isn't available around here, although that Croydon Cream Ale is...just a matter of tracking it down (looks draft ale.)

I wanna try the Mikkeler one as well. I know the style is out there, but it's rare is all I'm saying, when you'd think more breweries would experiment with it since it used to be so common.
  7. o_O When was that?

Cream/Sparkling/Brilliant/Present Use ales were created, mid/late 19th century, by ale brewers in a failed attempt to both mimic and compete against lager beer, after they lost the US beer market to the upstart German immigrant lager brewers. Those beers never came close to becoming the "#1 style in America" - although they did enjoy regional popularity in New England and upstate NY.

Also, as originally brewed in the US, they were adjunct (corn) beers, so would not qualify as "craft" under Brewers Association definition.
  8. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Savant (305) Virginia Jan 30, 2008

Sixpoint Sweet Action is pretty good. I would think you could get that in PA since it's brewed in Brooklyn
    Ilovelampandbeer and kjrod20 like this.
  9. Grey Sail Ale tastes nothing like Gansett Cream. If you didnt tell me they were the same style then I never would have guessed.
  10. If you can get ahold of Cape Kiwanda Cream Ale from Pelican Brewing, you will be a happy man. One of my favorite beers ever.
    Spikester and Smurf2055 like this.
  11. The Flagship ale is pretty solid, very easy drinking beer.
  12. Buffalo Bills Orange Blossom Cream Ale is my all time Fav... (Hayward ,CA)
  13. BruChef

BruChef Savant (285) New York Nov 8, 2009

Don't be so quick to disregard genny cream ale. I don't think any other cream ale has as many accolades.
    palma likes this.
  14. PapiFuego

PapiFuego Aficionado (125) New York Aug 20, 2013

palma likes this.
  15. Googs

Googs Savant (310) New York Apr 19, 2012

Dieu Du Ciel makes a fucking delicious cream ale that I believe I had on nitro..blanking on the name though.
  16. As was discussed previously the Cream Ale style was ‘invented’ by US ale breweries to ‘mimic’ the taste of US lagers. The breweries would either utilize a neutral ale yeast (one that would not produce a lot of fruity flavors) and/or ferment the ale yeast cooler to minimize the generation of fruity flavors (esters). So any ale that is light in color and light in fruity flavors should be something that you girlfriend would likely find to her liking.

I would think that beers classified as Blonde Ales would be acceptable. I have not had Ballantine XXX ale in an extremely long time. Maybe she would like that?

I am not too familiar with Blonde Ales. Maybe go here:http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/99

Cheers!
  17. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

If you can get your hands on NG Spotted Cow, she might enjoy that too. I'm pretty sure that it comes out of the facets in Wisconsin.
    KS1297, misterid, Slamminson and 6 others like this.
  18. I totally agree. I love that beer, so much flavor with low ABV.
  19. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Hardywood does a tasty one ... in cans!
  20. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I have a feeling it will go over well...and you will get laid

21. Delicious and would be easy to trade for.
  22. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Sixpoint make s a great cream ale but also Horseheads does the cream ale pretty well. if you can get it try it. It's called chemung canal towpath ale.
  23. ahq514

ahq514 Savant (315) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

Greenbush Traktor
  24. elementX

elementX Zealot (85) New York Oct 20, 2007

Empire Brewing Co. from Syracuse does a good Cream Ale. Draft only though. If you're ever in Syracuse or NYC look for it. They serve it off Nitro which adds to the creaminess.
    Baab200 and palma like this.
  25. paulytasker

paulytasker Savant (335) New York May 16, 2012

Genny Cream Ale = Definition of underrated
  26. Scrapss

Scrapss Advocate (585) Pennsylvania Nov 15, 2008

1 more vote for Anderson Valley Summer Solstice. And yeah. I do buy a 30 pack of Genny Cream Ale from time to time if there is an outdoor warm season event. It's pretty good as lawnmower beer and it's not BMC.
  27. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Savant (325) Illinois Jun 12, 2013

Bell's Special Double Cream Stout ( Bell's hitting NY oct.1 so it's a bit easier for you to get) and Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake.
  28. Yep, it is a tasty can O' brew indeed. glad to have it in the backyard.
  29. You need to review what a Cream Ale is, then what a Cream Stout/Milk Stout/Sweet Stout is.
    victory4me, jesskidden and Chaz like this.
  30. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Third Street has one ("Rise to the Top") that I still have to try, and 'lil 'ol Reads Landing brews a solid version, too.

P.S. Can I get a "what what!" for Little Kings? :cool:
    herrburgess and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Made me laugh a little, it's like $5.49 a 12 pack here, is that good or bad? You get what you pay for sounds like a contradiction of you like it, or it's drinkable, but for $5.49 what do you expect.
  32. Brenden

Brenden Champion (785) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

One I thought was really good that I haven't seen around since I had it a couple years back was Sirius from Lagunitas. It's my second favorite next to Sweet Action in my admittedly limited experience with cream ales.

EDIT: Sirius is retired. That explains that.
  33. Scrapss

Scrapss Advocate (585) Pennsylvania Nov 15, 2008

Genny cream ale is $18/30pk here. Again, you get what you pay for and use it appropriately. Buy Anderson Summer Soltice if you want better and the audience can appreciate it. Buy Genny Cream Ale for the BMC'ers since it's closer to what they usually drink and you don't have to buy/suport BMC marcoswill. Win?/Win?
  34. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

I would think that beers classified as Blonde Ales would be acceptable. I have not had Ballantine XXX ale in an extremely long time. Maybe she would like that?

just for the record, I have recently had a Ballantines. It is a sad sad beer. It was the last pale ale brewed in the US so I had to try it. When it shuttered, someone bought it and poured industrial lager into a container labeled with the history of American brewing.

I would have left my day job to take the name and re create the beer.
    JackHorzempa likes this.
  35. Cream Ales tend to have a lot in common with less-hoppy pale lagers.

Has she tried Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes? Or, for a (very slightly hoppier) pale lager, she might dig Sly Fox Helles, which also has the can thing going for it.
  36. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

Grazias from Hess Brewing is the best representation I've encoutered of this style. Great beer.

Cheers!
  37. Took my kid to Western North Carolina for camp last week. Picked up a 30-pack of Genesee Cream Ale for $14.99. If that exact beer had been brewed (and canned) by some hipster Asheville "craft" brewery it would've cost $14.99 for a 6-pack.

Buy and drink the Genesee and enjoy.
  38. Could not agree more with this. Creams ales are, to me, the most basic of 'basic drinkers'. Beer to swill whilst downing a tasty pizza, calzone, tacos, etc. And Spotted Cow is just about perfect for this.
    KS1297 likes this.