1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Haters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Qwest_35, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

I have a bunch of family members and friends whom I've been trying to convert for a few years now. It seems to me that people either love craft beer, or hate craft beer, why is this? I hated beer before I discovered craft, and It made me realize why I hated beer, it was simply because all the beers I was exposed to were the standard brands and I was just merely putting up with the lack of flavor until somebody handed me a at a Phish show.. The rest is history.. It just makes me laugh when I hand a craft beer to a fellow so called "beer lover" and they hate on it. I always have to hear the typical "ohh he's got that fancy beer" or "I don't know how you can drink that shit" comments from the peanut gallery, I guess to each his own, but how can a heavy beer drinker not want to consume a far superior product than the over-hyped, under-flavored, mass produced elixir that they try to pass off as beer? Anybody else out there dealing with "Craft Hate" We Beer snobs gotta stick together!!

2. Well Ive been lucky enough to convert all my friends. Only trouble I am having is my dad. But thats were the problem lies I suppose, hes my dad, he has established for many years what he likes and will stubbornly drink only Bud. Though I wouldnt say I am dealing with anything...I tried, I gave up. Now I dont care.

Dizbro21, beerloserLI and Jfriz25 like this.
  3. One at a time, change the world we will...

Kyrojack likes this.
  4. Uhmmmm... Fuck 'Em? I never understood the "Convert People" thing. I talk about craft beer all the time, some people try and like it, some try and don't, some won't ever try. I don't care either way as long as there's plenty of good beer for me.

5. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Quit trying to get people to like what you like. If you hated strawberries, wouldn't it be annoying if people were constantly shoving strawberries in various formats in front of you and declaring that you really will like them if you just give them a chance?

6. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I don't "convert" anyone. I'm a good host, if you want some, have some. Otherwise I'll continue to drink what I want - feel free to drink what you want.

If you want to know WHY I drink what I do - we'll talk.

Craft Beer is NOT a religion that needs to "convert the heathen".

7. Qwest_35

Don't get me wrong, I don't force it on anybody, but when people show interest in it, I let them try it. And the strawberry comparison doesn't hold any weight, because these people are self proclaimed beer lovers, if you don't like strawberries, you don't like strawberries, but if you like strawberries already and somebody gives you the highest quality organically grown strawberry from people who care about growing strawberries, how could you not like it?

cwreay90, powpig2002, gwdavis and 4 others like this.
  8. IMO, it's all about insecurities and fear to try something new. No need to press. Lead them to good water but can't make them drink...more for us!

9. Can a cheese lover only enjoy Kraft singles, a chocolate lover only Hershey's, or a hamburger lover only Mcd's?
    Sure they can.

10. So, you're implying that the majority only like inferior strawberries?

Qwest_35 likes this.
  11. Steimie

Yes. You understand perfectly.

Gosox8787, BDEE, ShogoKawada and 2 others like this.
  12. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I have a friend who thinks Newcastle is one of the best beers he's ever had. He also referred to a "black and blue" specialty beer (half guinness, half blue moon) that a bar made in my hometown as a craft beer. I just smiled and nodded. One day he'll figure out that there are too many great craft beers to try in an entire lifetime

Dizbro21 likes this.
  13. Steimie

You're right. You really need to keep trying to get people to like what you like. Sorry about the faulty analogy.

14. I have converted a couple of friends to craft... One will drink nothing but Belgian styles now. Another my brother is a huge scotch ale fan with a new stouts and coffee beers thrown in every once and a while. But some still think I am ridiculous for paying more then $13 for 30 beers haha.... I have given my grandpa a few various craft lagers as well as Paulaner Octoberfests, he likes um and drinks a couple but I do not ever expect to see them in his fridge, I assume Old Milwaukee and Special Export with allways dominate, and well that is ok by me.

15. are we talking about people that hate beer or people that love shitty beer and hate great beer?

16. I think the point Steimie was trying make was that they like a certain fruit- like apples. And non-confrontational supermarket apples at that. Liking strawberries and apples are two different things to a lot of people, even though most of us enjoy the wide range of fruits available.

franklinn likes this.
  17. I have a buddy who is a dyed in the wool Bud drinker... He has had some craft beers with me however he will remain a Bud drinker till they plant him... Its all good by me,just leaves more good shit for the rest of us

dianimal likes this.
  18. People can say and drink what they want..doesn't stop me from drinking the beer that I want to drink.

19. no they cant lol

that makes them a kraft singles fan, a hershey's fan, and a mcdonalds fan and nothing more

spartanfan and nickfl like this.
  20. The only craft beer hater I can't stand is AB/InBev.
    No one hates craft beer more than they do

21. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

More for me to drink. But more for some to hoard :(

Plonk likes this.
  22. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

That counter argument doesnt make sense either. A strawberry, in all reality, is a strawberry. The difference between a Nugget Nectar and a miller lite is different than a berry vs the organic version of said berry.

Cvescalante likes this.
  23. Some people just enjoy the finer things in life

24. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Yup, this thread is going just about how I thought it would.

Plonk, BDEE, Kopfschuss and 6 others like this.
  25. Qwest_35

Honestly I could care less if they like it or not, I just don't understand the disdain and constant ribbing after asking me to try one of my beers, especially when its from people who drink beer like they are trying to qualify for BeerFest...

26. I truly and deeply hate the word "craft." It makes me think of knitting and basket weaving. Just call it beer. Don't let the suckers win.

27. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Ever had those Double Imperial Strawberries? I prefer the east coast types over the west coast ones, but you've gotta eat them SUPER FRESH. I just roam into fields and stick my mouth right on the plants. Plus anyone who disagrees with me is wrong

davey101, pjs234, beerme411 and 12 others like this.
  28. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

This is a frequent event when the barn doors are open, if you catch my drift...

beertunes likes this.
  29. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

I hate beer snobs. Beer geeks are just knowledgeable friendly folk who can tell you interesting stuff about beer and will gladly help you out if you have questions. Snobs just want to rub it in your face that they are better then you will ever be unless you blindly agree with them. Most people don't hate craft they just are happy with what they have, don't care, prefer wine or liquor, or have tried some but didn't see the big deal.

We should just be friendly and realize not everyone likes what we like and that's okay. unless they slap your craft beer out of your hand and tell you stella is greater then your beer, that's not cool and neither is slapping their stella and telling them your heady topper beats all.

Plonk, bharlan51, Errto and 8 others like this.
  30. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I call "craft beer" "beer" and the other stuff "monkey urine". Why should we let "monkey urine" take the word "beer" hostage?

brewsader and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  31. Ryan2BSU

Ryan2BSU Savant (250) Indiana Mar 16, 2012

The only people I introduce to my beer supply is my family. (That are not craft beer drinkers)I strike out most the time but I did introduce them to schlafly pumpkin ale and it was a win. My brother actually bought a sixer and then my sister went on the hunt for it also!

32. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

This is what you get for having an opinion on BA and attempting to use an analogy. I hope you have learned the error of your ways.

33. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I've never really run into this problem here. But most people in CO are open to craft.

Hey if they don't like it, then it's more for the rest of us. I wouldn't be one to try and force someone to enjoy craft beer, if they don't like it, then so be it.

34. I think the beer revolution is coming, it's only a matter of time. In the meantime we as beer "soldiers" need to remain vigilant. Support your local craft pubs. Guide those who are new to craft beer in the right ( and therefore delicious ) direction. Whenever possible drink only craft beer ( I am actually boycotting all bmc beer at the moment).

35. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Most people I know that hate craft beer just hate beer in general. The others that do drink beer prefer to drink 12-24 beers in an afternoon at the lake or by the pool and they simply can't do that with most craft beer. Too expensive, too much alcohol, too many calories, and believe it or not, too much flavor!

36. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Proselytizing tends to turn most people off.

37. where does the assumption that "conversion" means a forceful attempt to "break" someone into being a craft beer lover come from? i know most of us wouldn't have gotten into this stuff if someone hadn't showed us at some point, and wanting to give that experience to our friends is good beer karma, not a rude and closed-minded gesture.

and to the OP: "craft hate" is a real thing. i get plenty of people who walk into my bar and shit-talk us because they see a wall of taps and no corporate american light lagers. 100% of these people do so before even looking at a menu, let alone trying anything, and i'd estimate 95-98% of these people end up finding something that they really enjoy, whether it be a pilsner or a lambic. the "let people drink what they like" argument is really doing a lot of people a disservice, because if someone let me drink "what i liked," i'd be missing out on all the fun.

Errto, jgluck, Qwest_35 and 1 other person like this.
  38. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (430) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Are you boycotting BMC brands or all beers that are part of the BMC distribution network(s)?

39. I converted a few buddies to higher ABV craft beers. Now they are raging alcoholics with weight problems. They wait in long lines overnight for the next special release and talk about the superiority of certain hops varieties and argue about how long IPA's stay fresh.

They have lost their jobs, their families and their sense of fashion.

40. The brands mostly. But I'm not gonna lie, Im not too happy about them buying up smaller breweries. I am opposed to monopolies in general!

highdesertdrinker likes this.